Thursday, November 1, 2012

Grilled Insalata Caprese Panini Recipe



You really only need a heavy grated pan with a heavy dish to press on top to make a panini no need for expensive makers!


There's nothing to it!

Slices of whole milk mozzarella cheese
Fresh Basil leaves washed
Plum tomato slices
Olive oil
salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic powder,  to taste
Italian bread

Cast iron grated pan
heavy weighted plate
cooking oil

Spray the pan with cooking oil and heat to high. Brush both sides of the bread with olive oil. I sprinkle mine with oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper lightly. Place two to three slices of mozzarella on the bread, top with sliced tomatoes. Grill on one side till brown pressing down with a heavy plate. Flip. Brown on the other side.  When done cool for a few minutes not to get burned. Open the sandwich and place the basil inside the sandwich. Be careful it's hot!  (I found basil stays nice, bright, fresh looking and doesn't look brown  when waiting till the end to add it,  that's the reason I don't cook with the basil inside.

5 comments:

mylittleitaliankitchen said...

buona questa caprese. I like it toasted like this it is even more tasty.Brava Claudia!

Greg said...

Mmmmmm. One of my summer favorites, when I can get fresh tomato and basil.

Big Dude said...

I really like this idea and it looks delicious.

Spicie Foodie said...

Yummers!! I could panini just about everyday. Great recipe Claudia:)

Natasha Price said...

Perfect - caprese in panini, love it!