Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mushroom Roasted Peppers Calzone using Ciabatta Dough


 

This is what happens when you overstuff it with cheese. I say there is never enough cheese so I decided to show you the one that blew up instead of the pretty perfect photo. 
That cheese didn't make the plate, it got eaten first!
 Hopefully you will be a better judge in filling your calzone!



 
1 recipe of Ciabatta Bread Dough or store bought dough
1 small bottle mushrooms
1 jar of roasted peppers or homemade
shredded mozzarella
garlic powder, cayenne pepper, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper to taste
toasted sesame seeds
1 egg beaten (whites or the whole egg)
Marinara sauce for dipping

Roll dough out on a piece of parchment paper,  ( about a half pound of dough) around 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper to taste. Top with shredded mozzarella, mushrooms and roasted peppers evenly on the seasonings. Fold over using the parchment paper to stick seam to seam like a turnover half moon shape.


 Brush with beaten egg whites or whole egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven until browned around 25 to 35 minutes.  Serve with Marinara Sauce for dipping.

There are many optional filling combinations you can use,  here are some suggestions:
Raw spinach, eggplant cubed, zucchini shredded, chopped peppers, onion, broccoli, pineapple, all diced
Prosciutto, capicola, mortadela, bacon, chicken, pork, sausage, ham all diced in small pieces.
Feta cheese, mozzarella, Mexican blends, swiss.
You can also use other sauces, hot sauce, barbecue, ranch and fill with your favorites.
Mix and match with any combination you like.

22 comments:

Federica said...

That melted filling is a big temptation! Very good ^_^ Bye, have a great day

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

well it looks yummy to me =) If ever I make one I will not over the cheese.

raquel@eRecipe.com said...

it looks yummy to me, actually I love cheese.

Alida said...

Delicious!Very very tasty ciabatta. I could have this for lunch today... mmm.. Brava!

Su said...

PegasusLegend, this is abolutely amazing. I'm literally drooling over that melted cheese coming out of the Calzone.
Big kiss

Greg said...

This sounds like a tasty calzone. I have never seen one with sesame seeds, which would add more flavor.

Tina said...

You can personalize the flavors in a pizza, but you can't very well eat a slice on the go without making a mess. The next option would be these lovely Calzones. That first teaser picture with the cheese oozing out does make you wonder what other delicious things are packed inside-yum! Thanks for posting this one Claudia!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Ooey gooey fabulousness.

Lenia said...

Tempting and delicious!Bravissima,carina!

Claudia said...

I would definitely overstuff my calzone with cheese and eat it before anyone noticed. All that cheese with mushrooms is the grandest meal.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

the melty cheese looks great! I haven't made calzones in a long time, thanks for the inspiration!

Lizzy said...

Oh, this looks AMAZING! I would have overstuffed it, too, but I'm always happy to clean up that extra gooey cheese. So wonderful and delicious!

ARLENE said...

there is no such thing as too much cheese; love this!

Kiri W. said...

Ooooooh, I'll take an overstuffed one :) Yummmm!

Torviewtoronto said...

yummy and filling deliciously done

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I would eat that flowing cheese right up!! Looks absolutely delicious. Blessings my friend, Catherine xox

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks good to me.

thecoffeebreak said...

Never tried to make calzone with cabiata dough, but it sure looks amazing!Yum!

Hungry Jenny said...

Haha, I would have got right in there with a spoon to eat that cheese up too ;-)

I love calzones but always find them way too filling!

Hungry Jenny x

Jennifer said...

Love the "blown up" one. LOL Have a nice day. Not been commenting as much - was busy there for a period.

Cucina49 said...

I love that you've overstuffed it with cheese--that's not a mistake, that's a bonus!

Liam @ Is Butter a Carb? said...

Too.much.deliciousness. NOM NOM NOM! This looks amazing! I'm always making pizza dough and pizza. I'm going to try making a calzone next time I crave pizza! Great post ;)