Flounder Francese (Egg Coated Recipe)

Sunday, August 10, 2014
Seafood was always a favorite in our home prepared like this Flounder Francese.


My mom's all-time favorite was anything Francese with fish or chicken and this was her easy recipe that I hold near and dear to my heart.


When she was still alive, she made this sauce and it was great on all kinds of white fish.


Usually, this was prepared and poured over cod or haddock.


Being, on a tight budget, those two fish were an inexpensive substitute for Flounder back in the 1960s.


We never had the money for a fancy fish like flounder in those days, she would surely have loved this delicate fish.


It was always cod or haddock and fabulous.


Cod baked or haddock fried was a staple back then every Friday, this style Francese was done on special occasions.


Sometimes mom would filet a chicken breast and use boneless chicken as well.


I make this recipe often in mom's memory and it never fails me, hopefully, if you are a seafood or chicken lover you will really enjoy this recipe as much as we do and keep her memory alive.


Scroll down to the recipe card to print this off.



egg battered fish








What is Francese



In a Francese, the seafood or meat is first dipped in flour, then a beaten egg mixture before being cooked lightly in a tangy lemon butter sauce.


I love lemon and I always add even more than my recipe calls for which you can also, however it's certainly perfectly seasoned as it's written.


This is flounder a white fish that is thin fish that's flat like a doormat and delicious egg coated and fried to make this recipe Flounder Francese


Other Recipe Serving Suggestions




roasted garlic mashed potatoes


twice-baked potatoes


rice


favorite pasta


Tuscan garlic bread


roasted vegetables


This flounder is raw and a white fish freshly caught ready to be cooked


Substitute

  1. boneless chicken breast
  2. boneless venison tenderloin
  3. pork tenderloin
  4. for those with no seafood allergies cod, haddock, Chilean seabass, snook, redfish, snapper can be substituted for flounder thinly sliced
Slice it 1/4 inch thick using boneless meat and thicker fish and proceed with this recipe the same exact way.


francese sauce


What is Flounder?



Found at the bottom of oceans and seas, Flounder is an excellent fish to have for dinner as it provides an amazing taste and it is healthy.


Catching flounder is not easy, but if you have some little skills and my husband the fisherman he is, has caught several for us.


They are a large flat, not pretty fish, and also not easy to clean since they are so thin, resembling a doormat.


Living in Florida, we have had many more opportunities than most to catch our own dinner fresh.


But again if you can't get this species of fish, just substitute it with any white fish.


Fish has been known to lower heart disease and is very good for your diet, hopefully, my readers here aren't allergic and can try the recipe, if not substitute chicken.


This is flounder a white fish that is thin fish that's flat like a doormat and delicious egg coated and fried to make this recipe Flounder Francese


Other Recipes You May Enjoy:



Florida Red Fish
Coconut Shrimp
Apricot Glazed Salmon
Filet Mignon topped with shrimp and crab
Red Clam Sauce 
White Clam Sauce



Pin for later



This is flounder a white fish that is thin fish that's flat like a doormat and delicious egg coated and fried to make this recipe Flounder Francese


Ingredients You Will Need To Make Flounder Francese


  • flounder or other white fish sliced thin like haddock or cod
  • Salt and pepper
  • eggs
  • heavy cream
  • extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • butter
  • flour and cornstarch
  • dry white wine
  • fresh parsley, finely chopped or dried
  • lemon, zest, and juice
  • capers are optional for us and more a Picatta-style sauce
  • cloves of garlic, finely chopped



this is a recipe card for flounder francese

Flounder Francese (Egg Coated Recipe)

Yield: 4
Author:
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 25 Mtotal time: 35 M
Delicious fish that is coated with egg and sauteed.

ingredients:

  • 4 flounder fillets, 6 to 8 ounces each
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 3 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • fresh parsley, finely chopped or dried
  • 1 lemon, zest, and juice
  • 3 tablespoons caper optional for us more a picatta style sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup flour plus 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed together

instructions:

How to cook Flounder Francese (Egg Coated Recipe)

  1. Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Season the fish with salt and pepper and roll into the flour mixture. Beat eggs with cream. Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil to the skillet, add 2 tablespoons butter, and cut into chunks. Dip the fish into the egg and cream mixture and cook on both sides until just golden, 5 to 6 minutes total. Transfer fish to an ovenproof dish, cover, and put the oven at the lowest temperature to keep warm.
  2. Add wine to the pan and reduce by half, for 1 minute, then add 1 tablespoon of butter, garlic, and a handful of parsley to the pan. Stir in the lemon juice and zest and the capers if using. Turn off the heat. Pour sauce over the fish. Spinach is a nice side dish for flounder. 
  3. Note: You can saute the garlic first in butter or oil for 2 minutes before adding the wine.
Calories
179
Fat (grams)
22
Sat. Fat (grams)
11
Carbs (grams)
13
Net carbs
12
Sugar (grams)
6
seafood, flounder, fish recipes, white fish
seafood, fish
Italian, French, American
Created using The Recipes Generator



Pin for later



This is flounder a white fish that is thin fish that's flat like a doormat and delicious egg coated and fried to make this recipe Flounder Francese


More Recipes You May Like:



Baked Haddock with Lime Butter
Grilled Lemon Salmon
Wahoo Fish Grilled
Shrimp Kabobs with Blackberry
Blackened Pompano Fish
Fish Parmesan
Fish Taco's


This is flounder a white fish that is thin fish that's flat like a doormat and delicious egg coated and fried to make this recipe Flounder Francese

25 comments

  1. Flounder ought to be one of mmy favourite fishes.Your recepie is yummy as.I sometimes make the whole fish in silverfoil with only little butter,gresh thijm salt and peper.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful way to serve flounder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks very good dear. I love fish cooked in any way and your dish is tasty. Bye, have a great we

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, this looks SO yummy! Love the perfectly browned crust....mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really tasty. Flounder is one of my favorite fish to eat. i used to catch them all the time when I lived in South Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks delish Claudia, I love fish made this way...and I see my favorite ingredient as of late (because I've had it in my fridge)....heavy cream! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried this with chicken before but now I really want to try this with the flounder. This looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to eat more fish and francese is a favorite preparation. This looks and sounds wonderful. I'm going to place flounder on my shopping list for next week. Thanks Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. THe flounder looks yummy, nice golden brown color. Seems like we had fried fish every week when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Claudia-I love, love, your new Template with the Italian flag...whohooo!...Yes!!!
    I'm feeling better, now, shoulder pain is easing up, can move forearm and hands (obviously,since I'm typing) Sorry to hear that you also have been getting chronic back issues with nerve pain.

    Love your flounder made this way, so rich and flavorful dipped in the heavy cream and the crunchy crust. I sure could eat a nice portion now!

    BTW-Just yesterday, I received the other book of Joy Bauer's FOOD CURES..looks like a real helpful and great book. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore flounder, and that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m in love. Great idea for that beautiful crust!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Claudia, this looks delightful. I can't eat flounder, but I bet a boneless, skinless chicken breast would be a great substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Claudia, this is so much like a coating I like to do, a Creole one, for fish and finish it off with the lemon caper sauce-- just beautiful my dear, this has my mouth singing, and wanting...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my! The color on this fish is wonderful. I can't wait to try this recipe. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I miss flounder and sole - always fresh in NYC. Just a beautiful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My Mom's favorite! She would love this. Your breading is so light and crispy and perfect! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Did someone say white wine and capers? This sounds wonderful, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Claudia, this is such a tasty way to prepare flounder. I adore capers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love flounder, Claudia. And this recipe with the capers and wine would be just perfect for our dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear Claudia, Thank flounder looks moist and delicious. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks so fine, I want to try it. Just looking at the picture makes me hungry.
    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here, I am going through your scrumptious recipes and what do I choose? Fish. It makes me realize how much my taste has changed in recent years.

    Although, the pulled chicken is definitely for me and that chocolate Boston Cream Pie has my name on it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't know how this egg and cream coating is supposed to work without flour. Mine turned out to be a disaster even following directions. The sauce was wonderful, but the method for cooking the fish did not work at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is 3/4 cup of flour in this recipe and 1/4 cup of cornstarch mixed together. The recipe card must have not printed that part of the add blocked it I am so so sorry! It's even in the What is Francese paragraph and under the ingredients. I have no idea why it wasn't seen in the instructions card other than ad blocked it

      Delete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia