Deep Fried Hearts of Palm Recipe

Saturday, April 10, 2010
What are Hearts of Palm?


Fried to perfection?


A vegetable, not given enough credit in my book!
Have deep fried Artichoke Hearts for years the same way, but these are easier and taste quite similar......

Sizzling in the pan getting all browned and crispy.

A tender white part of a palm stalk.....


I love hearts of palm. In a salad or eating them straight from the can I just can't seem to get enough of them. Some of you might not be familiar with this unusual vegetable, and even more of you may never have used them in a recipe, so I am here to introduce you to my beloved hearts of palm. Very unique, firm but delicate tasting vegetable.
Hearts of palm, also known as palmito, chonta or swamp cabbage, are a tender, white vegetable with a velvety-like texture that boasts a flavor similar to an artichoke. It's harvested from the inner stalk of various palm trees, and is mainly culled from the coconut palm or the Acai palm tree. Harvesting is a labor intensive, and because of this, these they can cost a bit more than your typical canned vegetable, running about $5 a jar or $3 a can.
Hearts of palm are slender, white tubes. Hearts of palm boast an almost creamy yet incredibly delicate taste, which makes them perfect for cooking. They very much remind me of artichoke hearts, and I substitute hearts of palm for them many times in my recipes, they are such a perfect substitution!
Although found in many ritzy restaurants in salads hearts of palm are excellent when made into dips and are prepared much in the same fashion as an artichoke spread. Substitute artichoke hearts for hearts of palms for the artichoke dip recipes, so delicious. Hearts of palm also fry well, and these lightly breaded and deep fried.
Hearts of palm are healthy. Because they are packed in water and are naturally low in fat, you can enjoy them straight from the can or jar. They're also high in fiber and contain no cholesterol, and right now I am very conscious of that condition, since I have it!

Deep Fried Hearts of Palm Recipe:
1- 14 oz can of Hearts of Palm drained and brine washed off
canola oil for frying
1 egg with 2 tablespoons water well beaten
2 cups Italian Flavored Panko Bread Crumbs
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, cayenne pepper, pepper, oregano, parsley and Parmesan cheese
In a medium size bowl beat egg and water together, add hearts of palm to bowl.
In another bowl add bread crumbs and spices mix together well.
Dip each hearts of palm in the seasoned panko, then back into the egg and into the panko again, coating twice.
In a large fry pan heat 1/2 inch of oil in the pan till hot. Add hearts of palm and fry till golden in color. Serve with marinara sauce or your favorite dipping sauce.

16 comments

  1. I have only ever eaten hearts of palm in salads. This is such an original way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried nor thought of frying hearts of palm, in France we eat them in salads. Great idea, that golden crust is so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think these are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of artichoke, so I can imagine this will be something equally delicious, but I am concerned about availability in Bulgaria.

    ReplyDelete
  5. New to me but looks delicious. I don't think I have hearts of palm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I too have only had these in salads but leave it to you to take it to a new level and make it tempting ... and fried! Kudos my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, only on salads - learning something new today from you girl

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel so unimaginative - have used them in salads - have never thought to fry them - but oh my - they beckon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet these are just delicious fried! Excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen these prepared in this fashion before, but,boy, they sure look good. You have a great blog and I'll be back often to see what you've been cooking. Have a great day...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I have eaten them in salads, this recipe is original!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! We've fried artichoke hearts but never heart of palms! Being Southern, we're up for trying to fry anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hearts of palm, never thought to fry them, great idea!
    LL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made a vegetable kugel with hearts of palm,carrots,broccoli,mushrooms that were done in a food processor along with matzo crumbs,corn flake crumbs,flour,baking powder,curry,cumin,white pepper,oil and eggs.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia