Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie

Monday, November 9, 2020
These Italian cookies are a staple around the holiday for many Italian families and are very popular thin waffle cookies with a variety of flavored extracts.

Grandma's recipe for Italian pizzelle waffle cookies goes back 100's years and this recipe remains the best one to use year after year without fail.

Back in the 1970s around Christmas time (sometimes Easter), Grandma, mom and I would makeover 50 to 60 waffle pizzelle cookies and give them away to family and friends.

The waffles are made on a pizzelle maker and can be so many different flavors or just plain vanilla, depending on what you prefer, I will give you many suggestions below.

These are very thin crispy waffle cookies that can be made in many flavors, anisette being the most popular.

I love making these they are the perfect cookie with a cup of coffee or hot cocoa, for snacking on, and are just an addictive holiday delight.

If you love crispy cookies, these will be a new favorite in your home and they are super simple to make.

We make many memories during the holiday season with foods like our Christmas Eve Italian Recipes, Christmas Day Recipes and we have around 24 Assorted Kinds of Cookie Recipes we love we make every year.

Don't miss my tips and suggestions below before making these for the best results.

Just scroll down to my printable recipe card for this delicious pizzelle waffle cookie recipe.



this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo







Italian Waffle Cookies



Pizzelle were originally made in Ortona, in the Abruzzo region of Southern Italy in the 18th century.


Through the years Grandma only made them anisette flavored with powdered sugar then we started experimenting with other flavors.


Lemon, almond, and anisette remain our favorites.


Dusted with powdered sugar and the perfect thin cookie perfect with a cup of espresso and snacking on but really addicting.


This is the first cookie that vanishes during the holiday and the one we give out the most as gifts, so start saving those coffee cans which are perfect to store them in!



this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo



Tips

  1. cool these on wax paper in between each one on a flat hard surface
  2. to store them use clean coffee cans and stack them with the wax paper in between
  3. these do not freeze well as they become soft and don't stay crispy
  4. for best results do not overcook them unless you like them super hard
  5. use a gravy ladle for or 1/4 cup size for same-sized pizzelle
  6. for several different flavors separate a small amount a batter in little bowls and add a little bit of any flavor assortments you like (be careful with anisette less is better it's very strong!)
  7. add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the powdered sugar to dust with when making vanilla cookies
  8. always spray the pizzelle makers with cooking oil in between making each waffle cookie



this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo



Tool You Will Need

  • Pizzelle waffle makers found in most specialty baking stores
  • bowl
  • measuring spoons
  • measuring cups
  • spatula
  • electric mixer
  • wax paper
  • storage containers like coffee cans



this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo




Other Extract Flavors to Try

  • Lemon
  • Almond
  • Orange
  • Maple
  • Vanilla
  • Anisette
  • Coconut
  • Cinnamon




this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo






Try These Other Classic Italian Cookies




Ricotta Cookies
Biscotti Anise
Biscotti Orange Marmalade
Biscotti Cranberry Almond
Biscotti Lemon Polenta
Pumpkin Pistachio Biscotti
Italian Chocolate Iced Spice



this is a cookie made on an Italian Waffle Cookie that is cooked to a golden brown color sprinkled with powdered sugar lemon, anise or vanilla flavored in the photo




Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie Pin for later



this is a pin for later on how to make pizzelle Italian waffle cookies




Homemade is the Best!






I am sure you have seen these cookies in many major bakeries and grocery stores.


I assure you that using a pizzelle maker these are super simple to make in no time and taste 100 times better not to mention in so many assorted flavors.


These are perfect for gift-giving in pretty holiday tins and stay fresh a very long time up to a month.


You can even dust them with cocoa powder for a different flavored topping added to the powdered sugar.


For gift-giving also add some candy to your tin for the perfect holiday gift.






Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie
Print

Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie

Yield: 30
Author: Claudia Lamascolo
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 4 MinTotal time: 14 Min
Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie is a light crisp waffle cookie that has various flavors anywhere from anisette to lemon flavorings dusted with powdered sugar.

Ingredients

  • Batter:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/4 shortening
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon anise extract or any other flavors you like: lemon, almond, coconut, orange, mint, maple, cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • Cooking spray
  • wax paper
  • Holiday or coffee tins

Instructions

  1. Beat the eggs on medium speed until thick. 
  2. Add the oil, shortening, sugar, and softened butter and mix until combined well. 
  3. Add the extracts, ( you can add any flavor you want, anisette, vanilla, orange, maple, peppermint, lemon or coconut can be used, however, traditionally anisette is the flavor.
  4. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour, and mix till well incorporated. 
  5. Preheat the electric pizzelle iron according to the manufacturer’s directions (which can be found online).
  6. Note: Always spray each waffle area between making cookies even with nonstick.
  7. When ready, drop batter by a heaping tablespoon or use a gravy ladle, again follow the pizzelle manual.
  8. When ready, open the waffle iron and remove the pizzelle. 
  9. Stack on wax paper in between till cooled. 
  10. Repeat until all batter is used.
  11. Store in airtight containers like coffee cans so they stack easily or holiday tins for gift giving.

Calories

139.67

Fat (grams)

5.41

Sat. Fat (grams)

2.22

Carbs (grams)

20.62

Fiber (grams)

0.80

Net carbs

19.82

Sugar (grams)

11.62

Protein (grams)

2.54

Sodium (milligrams)

72.20

Cholesterol (grams)

41.33
Italian waffle cookies , Italian pizzelle, vanilla pizzelle, anisette waffles, Italian pizzelle cookies
Italian waffle cookies, Italian cookies, waffle recipes, flavored cookies, holiday cookies
Italian
Created using The Recipes Generator




Italian Pizzelle Waffle Cookie Pin for later




these are Italian waffle cookies and a pin this recipe for later



More Cookies We Love

Italian Chocolate Fudge Rolls
Cinnamon Butter Cookies
Best Snickerdoodles
Best Cowboy Cookies
Peanut Butter Reindeers
Best Peanut Butter Chocolate Chips
Banana Oatmeal Cookies




these are a traditional waffle anisette cookie made with a pizzelle waffle maker.

Disclosure: This recipe was originally shared in 2009. It was edited and re-published in 2020.


40 comments

  1. those are beautiful. I bet they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pizzelles are another food thing we have in common from our childhood. I remember my grandmother making these with an iron that only made one cookie at a time over a gas flame. Now we have electric makers that are easier and make 2 at once but somehow, even though we use the same recipe that our grandmothers used, our electric pizzelle makers lack that special touch of our grandmothers and aunts. Still, it's important that we still make these cookies, they are a very important cookie in the Italian culture and we have to make sure our kids know how to make these......and they ROCK with a cup of coffee or tea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @danielle thanks so much!
    @kathy vegas you are so right, my son now makes them all kinds of flavors, he loves putting coconut flavoring and shredded coconut in the batter its awesome! thanks for sharing your wonderful family values also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so yummy, wish I can have a wee bit. Just irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww it's is such a beautiful tradition! And these waffles look so fragile, the pattern reminds me of stained glass windows in gothic cathedrals...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Pizzelle look beatiful, looks like someone has been a busy bee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg, they are beautiful, and MUCH prettier than the ones I buy at the Italian market. If you sold these , you would become a pizelle millionaire! Your grandma is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful and beautiful holiday tradition you've shared, thank you so much!--I would love to try these! And the fact they will stay crunchy is even better.
    They are just gorgeous to look at with all the detail. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very much enjoyed this one, though it made me long for my years spent in italy- how i miss those yummy cookies! love to hear about family traditions staying alive, and this one is a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!!! Oooh...and I love grandma's glasses - -She's a fashion diva -- Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @cheah
    @Tania
    @daydreamerdsrts
    @Tasty trix
    @kelly
    Dining with batali
    @linda
    Alina

    All wonderful comments....thanks for all your warm and kind words

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, it's just amazing that this recipe has been in your family all those years and that the tradition is continuing with you. I hope it continues for generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. now look what you have done - I'm not Italian but now I'm gonna buy one of these pizzelle thingies just so I can enjoy what I have been missing out on..........thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look beautiful,just like your post. I love sharing traditions and family recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have so many fond memories of making pizzelle stacks when I was a little girl-I'm so glad you have the same tradition! Ciao :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. just had them for lunch, here in Hk it s common street food. when i was in italy didnt really get to know them! Deli deli

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I love pizzelles, but have never had anise ones! So jealous, these sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sound so good! I buy the olive oil and fennel sweet crackers from Spain but now I know that Italy has their version which makes me very happy! I'll have to try these someday.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey C...I just wanted to report back, ater 40 years of making my family's recipe for pizzelles, today I tried yours (our's doesn't use shortening or baking powder)...please don't tell my aunts, but I like yours better! Yours are more crisp and light. Ours are more dense and hard....how am I going to explain 200 crisp & light pizzelles to my family?? They WILL notice the difference. My younger relatives will love them, the older ones will be ....suspicious...LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @kathyvegas I have to tell you that you brought tears to my eyes. I am not sure whats harder to miss the ones that made this, or continue in their legacy...but you certainly made the meaning of carrying on their tradition allot more meaningful with your heart warming words....my grandmother and mom would be smiling right now as I am with your wonderful compliments to their work!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really, really need to buy a pizzelle press! These are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We always get some of these at the Christmas market. I really need to try making them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow I have never heard of these! They look delicious though, and the designs are so intricate..they look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never made my own pizelle cookies before, but they sound like my cup of tea. Gotta get a press.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are my favorite cookies this tie of year! I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look amazing, Any recipe from grandma has got to be delicious! I definitely need to get a pizzelle iron now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awww grandma is so sweet! I LOVE waffle cones - I need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I only can imagine how good they taste and smell. I love the anisette flavor and I need to make these cookies immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These WAFFLE COOKIE look fantastic! Your photos are always so pretty! Thanks , I love your titles and your stories 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  30. Girl, if you left me alone with these they would be all gone too! So many awesome flavors going on in here! Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Omg, these cookies looks beautiful. I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love that you are carrying on the tradition. Pizzelles are one my favorites but I haven't tried making them myself until now. So excited to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Grandma's recipes must be the best! And when you talk about 100s of years - that is just incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love how you share these old recipes so passionately Claudia. Makes me miss my mom so much. I grew up with her always in the kitchen and learned everything I know from her. This sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  35. A stack of pizzelle-cookies for me please :-) They are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, I love these cookies, but have never made them. Bet yours were a hit back in the day with your mother and grandmother! I usually make hundreds of Christmas cookies, but not this year due to the conditions and most places are still closed, and people staying home.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia