Friday, November 18, 2011

Cranberry Almond Biscotti


    
    I love fresh cranberries, sweetened of course...
    Here's a great dunking cookie for your favorite coffee!
    
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 egg whites
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon almond extract
  • 3/4 cup sliced almonds more for garnish
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
  • 1 cup fresh cranberries chopped tossed in 1/4 cup sugar or( if using dried cranberries, skip the sugar)
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Optional: white chocolate to dip each end , sliced almonds and granulated sugar
Preheat oven to 325 degrees

Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs, egg whites, and vanilla or almond extract in a separate mixing bowl.
Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist, using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add cranberries, sugar, rind and cinnamon toss together then add the almonds; mix thoroughly.
On floured surface, divide batter in half and knead each half with a small amount of flour then shape into a log approximately 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes or until firm. Middles should be cooked all the way through, use a toothpick to check.  Cool on a wire rack.
Higher oven temperature to 350 degrees. Cut biscotti into 1/2 inch slices on a slant using a good cutting board and serrated knife.   Place back into the oven and continue to toast  for an additional 25 to 30 minutes until nicely browned I turn them once.  Let cool and  you can then dip each end in white chocolate and sliced almonds. I also like to sprinkle sugar on top before baking.

32 comments:

Claudia said...

This is one of my favorite biscotti for autumn. I am going to be using yours for Thanksgiving!

Federica said...

These biscotti look great, vaguely resembling "cantucci". I never found fresh cranberries, but I love the dried ones. I note the recipe, I want to try them :) Thanks for sharing, have a good we

Elisabeth said...

Love your cranberry biscotti. I'm gonna have to start baking biscotti for Thanksgiving. I have so many different kind of biscotti recipe, but do not have a good cranberry.
Thanks for sharing...bookmarking this to make:DDD

Dzoli said...

I love biscotti.And I am not the only one.I always have a jar on the kitchen bench filled.Great recipe;)

Pupottina said...

ciao Pegasus!!!
ottima ricetta!!!
Buon weekend ^_________^

Tina said...

Since we all are going to start having more and more hot beverages, this is a perfect snack!
I like the fact that these have fresh cranberries in them-yum! Have a wonderful weekend!

Greg said...

Do you have a turkey and dressing biscotti recipe, then we can have the whole meal? :-) The biscotti sounds really good.

Curt said...

How delicious looking. It looks perfectly crisp! And the almonds and cranberries together. Mmmmm!

Pinned for memory. Not to mention it's an awesome photo!

Belinda @zomppa said...

All this needs is a cup of tea!

Pretend Chef said...

Perfect with a cup of coffee. Love the flavor combo. Yummy!

ARLENE said...

I never met a biscotti I didn't like. Sure wish I had a few of these to go with my chai.

Drick said...

I have not made biscotti in a long time and as I marvel at yours I wonder why? I really like it, enjoy it with coffee, love the crunch and your flavors are just outstanding.... I think you have change my mind, again... Hope you are going to get some time to enjoy the season but I know it is your busiest, like ours, in retail and serving the public = it ain't always so much fun when you're missing the fun of holidays.... thinking of you Claudia, and hope you do enjoy your time with family, cherish the moments as they come...

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I am so happy to be visiting with you. Thank you for your visits.
These biscotti look so festive and delicious for a holiday table. I would very much love to dip these treasures in a good cup of coffee. Thank you my dear friend for all of your kindness. Blessings, Catherine xo

Reeni said...

I never used fresh cranberries in biscotti - always dried! I bet they are out of this world delicious!

Ann said...

Another winner, Claudia! I love biscotti, but like the previous poster, I've never used fresh in them...just dried. Terrific recipe and Happy Thanksgiving!

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmm....I know these must taste fabulous!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks wonderful lovely colour with the cranberry

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

Love this biscotti! I've never tried it with cranberries!

Amalia said...

I've been looking for recipes that call for fresh cranberries, and I just couldn't find any that really appealed to me. I saw this and it really caught my eye. It looks wonderful, something I can totally see my mom obsessing over once I make it! Thanks for the great recipe, have an awesome Thanksgiving week!

Peggy said...

I'm definitely stocking up on my cranberries for the season - this will totally be one of the recipes I do when I get to using them!

Kiri W. said...

Sounds like the perfect holiday biscotti!

Suzi said...

These look delicious and I would definitely dip them in some white chocolate.

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

I am a crazy fan of Biscottis. buzzed you.

Kim Bee said...

Omg this is wicked good. I love it. Brilliant Claudia. Congrats on top 9!

Jill @ MadAboutMacarons said...

Not just with tea or coffee... these look sensational and dunked in some Italian sweet wine at the end of a Thanksgiving meal....? Cheers!

Becky said...

These cranberry biscotti are gorgeous, dotted with the cranberries. I can see these on my cookie tray, now!

Congrats on the Top 9 today!

Kim - Liv Life said...

What wonderful flavors you have in these crunchy cookie! Cranberry anything does it for me... these would really top off my Thanksgiving menu. Thank you!

Val said...

Congrats on making T9! This biscotti looks perfect with an espresso or a cup of tea. Reminds me that I really should give biscotti a try.

Grubarazzi said...

Wow. these are so pretty!

Balvinder ( Neetu) said...

This was for sure to come on Top9 Congratulations!

Joy said...

The biscotti looks so good.

Jeff Rasmussen said...

I can't wait to try to make this! They look so delicious!