Monday, February 25, 2013

Caramel Banana Flan Recipe

Caramel Banana Flan inspired by +Chef Mireille and +Jennifer Field  thanks for
introducing me to the world of flan...

Well let me start out saying, I had never made flan before. Then I saw two fabulous recipes on friends at Google+  +Chef Mireille and +Jennifer Field .  My son said he loves flan and wanted me to give it a go. I was going to make a Pumpkin Caramel Latte Flan by Jennifer Fields at the Pastry Chef Online but only one of my sons likes pumpkin, boo. Then I saw another one Banana Salted Caramel Flan from Chef Mireille, very delicious looking and today I had to at least try it since I had no idea what this was all about!  The boys both agreed to have me try the banana one. I learned alot from reading these two totally different flan recipe blogs.  They both are wonderfully rich and delicious looking. I love the tips they both shared. Thanks ladies! I got the best of both worlds here with using +Jennifer Field  caramel recipe and +Chef Mireille Custard. So here it goes.

I still made some bloopers along the way for the first time but in the end it did come out pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself. I would make this again and again!

Please visit both these great Chefs blog as their photos are superb you won't want to miss them!

will be making the pumpkin flan next just for me! I absolutely love pumpkin! Wait till you see that Flan on her blog it's gorgeous!

I took that first step on making the caramel syrup from Jennifers recipe blog @  Jennifer Fields  Pastry Chef Online and instructions below: (I found it much easier than I thought!)


Caramel:

3/4 cups sugar (I used regular white sugar)
1/4 cup water

Have a large deep pan cake pan of cold water ready that you can set the pan your using to make the caramel in ready to place it in after its cooked.
Place sugar and water in a covered small pan.
Bring to a boil moving the pan back and forth to get all the sugar dissolve. Continue to for 2 minutes.
Remove the cover and boil rocking back and forth but not stirring, until it turns a light amber color.

I adapted the Salted Caramel Banana Flan recipe from Chef Mireille, I omitted the salt.

Custard Filling for the Flan:
2 ripe bananas
1 can 12 oz evaporated milk
1 15oz can condensed milk
3 eggs

Prepare your pan with slices of bananas and place on the bottom of the pan then pour the caramel on top. That was my blooper I didn't do that!
Flan is cooling at room temperature. Bananas should be on the bottom but it was wonderful!

Chef Mireille directions are to place the bananas down first in a pan then pour the caramel mixture over bananas I reread it twice and still did it wrong!  Hence the bananas floated to the top of the flan! Even with the blooper it still tasted great!

Directions for Custard:
In a heavy duty bowl using an electric mixer, beat eggs for 10 minutes until light. Add the milks and beat 2 more minutes.  Pour over the caramel banana mixture.  Set the pan (I used a metal 9x9 round cake pan.) in a roasting pan filled with water half way, this gives the custard a water bath to cook in. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean from the center.
Cool at room temperature. Refrigerate overnight or at least 3 hours before serving.
Run a sharp knife around the edge and invert onto a deep welled plate to catch the syrup.

I am now a huge fan of flan!  Say that a few times!  
Thanks ladies +Jennifer Field and +Chef Mireille !!! You ladies rule!

+claudia lamascolo Author

4 comments:

Alida said...

Mmm.. creme caramel flavoured with banana!Looks every so delicious Claudia! Have a great week XX

Chef Mireille said...

I am so honored that you tried my recipe and loved it so much

Spicie Foodie said...

Claudia your flan looks perfect! This is my mom's go to dessert, and even though I watched her make it I never have made it myself. Bravo to you!!

Ashley said...

I've always wanted to try making flan. Looks delicious!