Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Mom's Birthday and No Bake Chocolate Covered Fig Cookies Recipe

One of my mom's favorite cookies to add to a wedding tray. Today she would have been 93 years old. Even though
I made these at Christmas time. I never served them and left them in the freezer until today as I made them in her memory as a tribute. She would make these for every Italian wedding in the family! One of her favorite cookies as well.
Happy Birthday Margaret Ann Fanelli Colenzo. Missing you everyday and all the fabulous foods you made for us!  I will continue to be inspired to make your recipes. Love you always and forever......
 I am so lucky to be part of you and proud to have you as my mom. Save me a good place up there.
Mom's Wedding photo.  She was so beautiful inside and out.
A woman that had a love for family, friends and fed everyone and anyone, anytime with her food!
Everyone would always call her to find out how to make her sauce which she really was famous for!
I can still taste it in my mind along with so many other specialties she made.

'
Here's her favorite cookie and recipe:

Packages of fig cookies store bought cut in half (she would use fig newtons) You will have to judge how many you need. She made enough to feed 300 people!
Chocolate Chips melting (she would use semi sweet chocolate chips)
Crushed walnuts
Wax paper 
Cookie sheet

Directions:
Cut the cookies lengthwise in half. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave until free flowing.
Dip each cookie into chocolate using a fork allowing the excess to drop off into the bowl. Roll in coarsely chopped walnuts. Set on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and allow to dry. You can also freeze these for them to set quickly. 

Simple but delicious!

Love you always Mom,  R.I.P.  Happy Birthday...
In loving Memory of Margaret Ann Fanelli Colenzo
1919 - 1999


+claudia lamascolo  Author

14 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Fantastic! I believe that I have all the ingredients for this sweet treat.
Happy Birthday to your mom!
Angie

Nisa Homey said...

This sure is a heirloom recipe...happy bday to your wonderful mom..she is so pretty in her wedding snap!!

Federica said...

What a lovely thought dedicate these cookies to your mom and keep her memory alive. They're very tempting :) Bye, have a good day

Belinda said...

Beautiful!! What a beautiful to honor her.

Lizzy Do said...

Your mom was a beauty...and I'm certain she had internal beauty as well. How wonderful of you to keep her memory alive by sharing one of her yummy cookie recipes. I know she's smiling down at you from heaven. xoxo

Greg said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. I know your mom would be proud of you and how you have preserved your families recipes and memories. I also think she would love the way your sons have joined in and are creating new versions of the old recipes.

Claudia said...

And now her daughter carries on her blessings with love. Luscious and sweet - loveliest tribute.

The Mom Chef said...

Your mother was a beautiful woman (and she passed it on to her daughter!). What a lovely tribute to her memory, Claudia.

Becky said...

Claudia,
Such a lovely tribute to your sweet Mom. It's great that you are carrying on here traditions, and now so are your sons. Lovely cookies! I'll have to remember these, when I'm in a pinch!

Mellissa Rondinelli said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom! Great photos!

Shia

Spicie Foodie said...

Beautiful post Claudia and Happy Birthday to your mom. There must be a big party happening in heaven today.

I love fig newtons and with chocolate now that's a great combination. Thanks for sharing. xx

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely mama's "heaven birthday" and for sharing the recipe heirloom too, sweet lady. My mom was 83, Dic. 27th. and I did a little tea party for her and shared some presents from her I've been getting in the past few years. We love our mom's and when mine is gone, I will also honor her in her special day too. I hope you have a wonderful 2013. Big hugs,
FABBY

saundra said...

Lovely tribute sharing her recipes.It will let her live on forever in the hearts minds and stomach's of coming generations.

Kathy said...

Beautiful post, Claudia! A lovely tribute to your beautiful mother. Those cookies look so wonderful…love figs!