Saturday, October 27, 2012

Roasted Garlic and Potato Clam Soup Recipe

Rich, creamy and two flavors that compliment each other...

6 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can rinsed minced clams
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon finely minced celery
1/2 cup fresh finely chopped parsley
6 cloves garlic, peeled roasted  garlic see directions here
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
salt to taste
Garnish: 
shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian flavored bread crumbs mixed with 2 tablespoons melted butter, toast in the oven in a throw away pie tin for 8 minutes on 400 degree oven
Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Roasted Garlic (for instructions click here)
Place potatoes in a shallow roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with peppers, stir to coat. Bake for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are browned. Reserve 1 cup of roasted potatoes.
In a 3 quart saucepan add potatoes, celery, garlic and stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
Spoon half of broth mixture into a blender, blend until nearly smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture; return all to pot. Stir in milk, cream, clams and (in season fresh clams minced) add salt to taste, spirnkle with parsley. Top with reserved roasted potatoes, garnish. Garnish with mozzarella shredded cheese and toasted bread crumbs.

8 comments:

Big Dude said...

This reminds me that I've been wanting clam chowder and with cold weather coming tomorrow, I think it's time.

Pretend Chef said...

Perfect soup recipe for today's weather in Houston. Yummy!!!

Torviewtoronto said...

looks wonderful deliciously done

Rosemary said...

If I don't make this soon, I'll hate myself. What lovely additions to a clam chowder, Claudia!

Greg said...

Ok, I am making this one. I was just thinking I miss clam chowder, haven't had it in years.

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I love creamy clam soup! This is a perfect combo.
Have a wonderful weekend dearest. Blessings, Catherine xoxo

My Little Space said...

Howdy darling! This soup sounds wonderful. It has been so hot lately during day time over here and most nights came pouring rain and yet still very warm out side. Hope everything went well on your side.
Have a lovely weekend.
Blessings, Kristy

Munatycooking said...

Creamy and rich soup, I wish I can have some :)