Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Italian Zucchini Crustless Baked Omelet Recipe

A light low calorie crustless baked omelet that tastes great in a wrap, on Italian bread,
or just by itself,  either way  it bursts with great fresh flavors!

1  cup grape tomatoes cut in halves
1 cup mushroom slices
1 medium size zucchini cleaned and chopped fine
1 large red pepper minced fine
2 cloves minced fresh garlic
salt, pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 eggs beaten
cooking oil spray
1 pie plate
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup grating cheese

Optional for meat lovers and none dieters: Add 1 cup of sliced cooked Italian Sausage drained or uncooked pepperoni slices

Directions:
Beat the eggs and set aside.
In a small fry pan saute the peppers, mushrooms and zucchini with the garlic to remove some of the water it will give off. Saute for around 7 minutes. Drain any water it makes.
Spray the pie plate with cooking spray. Place the vegetable mixture in the pie plate. Pour eggs over the top.

Sprinkle with grating cheese and mozzarella. Bake at 400 degrees until the top is slightly browned.
You can eat this like it is or make a sandwich in Italian bread.

20 comments:

Joanne said...

Omelette? Frittata? Eggs by any other name. Any which way, one of my favorites and your preparation was perfect! I don't like crusts anyway but I have a rice crust. That's pretty good and offers nutritional benefits over a pastry crust.

Greg said...

This is my go to quick and easy weeknight meal. Love them! I have never thought about adding pepperoni though. I'll have to give that a try.

Lenia said...

This looks divine!Many kisses from Greece,dear!

Cucina49 said...

This looks awesome--I would wrap it in a tortilla for a quick breakfast on the go!

Ruth Martins said...

Looks delicious and mosit! You should be proud, he's doing brilliantly!

Ellen B Cookery said...

Is there anything you can't make perfectly? This looks incredible and your son's just as talented. (We know where he gets it from)

Becky said...

Claudia,
I have a zucchini in the fridge now, so I'll be making this omelette soon. This is another good recipe to use those garden zukes.

Reeni said...

Love these cheesy, veggie packed eggs!

Miss Messy said...

ooo this looks super :)

Elisabeth said...

Just love omelet with veggies...especially with zucchini and tomatoes. I would eat this any time of the day...breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack when I'm hungry for something nourishing:D
Perfect, and so satisfying!

drick perry said...

wow, first I like that it is baked and second that it is loaded with veggies, lacks those onions though ...haha

Zoe said...

Light and delicious! Look like this is my kind of food :D

Life's a shoe said...

oh wow i'm drooling over this!

anthony stemke said...

This is wonderful and you were reading my mind because I would use Italian (hot) sausage in this.
Thank You for this post.

anthony stemke said...

This is wonderful and you were reading my mind because I would use Italian (hot) sausage in this.
Thank You for this post.

Trix said...

It's part frittata, part crustless quiche ... and all good!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, Your omelet looks delicious and filled with all my favorites! You just can't go wrong with this...perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious and absolutely my kind of meal. Thans for doing away with the word verification.

Alida said...

Very nice this frittata. Zucchini are just perfect with eggs. Ciao bella.

Kathy said...

I love eggs…this looks like a perfect way to eat them! We make omelets for dinner quite often…yours looks delicious!