Chocolate Coconut Cream Whoopie Pie Recipe

Monday, June 4, 2012



these are a coconut cream filled chocolate whoopie pie



These just remind me of my childhood. Delicious semi homemade chocolate soft cookies with a fluffy marshmallow cream middle. Originally these were made in New England and around Amish Country. I adapted them with my favorite garnish using coconut and using a cake mix for the cookies.
I came across this recipe and wow, I stopped dead in my tracks, easy, using a cake mix, chocolate cookies and cream in the center? What more can you ask for... so I said I just have to make time for these beauties! Check out the original post from Amanda here


these are a coconut cream filled chocolate whoopie pie

With a few things adapted to our taste, I decided to add coconut to the recipe..  Thanks Amanda we just loved these

Chocolate Coconut Cream Whoopie Pies Adapted

1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water

 Preheat oven to 400°.  With an electric mixer, mix together all of the ingredients until blended.
 With a medium cookie scoop (or tablespoon) drop batter onto parchment lined baking sheets at least 2 inches apart.  Bake for 8 minutes or until tops are firm when touched.  Cool on wire racks.


Marshmallow Coconut Cream Filling:

6 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons marshmallow fluff
2/3 cup of coconut put through the food processor until very fine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
Beat together ingredients.  Spread onto cooled flat surface of one cake piece and top with another.

18 comments

  1. These cookies are mouthwatering. I love chocolate-coconut combination. Bye, have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoopie pies from a cake mix? I must have been under a rock. What a quick idea!

    Love the coconut filling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious! Best of all they are simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason, I thought that you could not use a cake mix for whoopie pies! Well it looks like you squashed that myth and did it in a delicious way. I am game for anything that has these two flavors in it and these are a handy way to enjoy them-grab and go-yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you cut down on time with that devil's cake mix - very clever and smart. And then that chocolate with the coconut creams says "make me, you will like!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Claudia, These look both delicious and easy....a perfect combination. Ciao dear friend...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious flavors and I love how much coconut and chocolate is floating through the blogs today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Che golosita'! These really make you want to eat the screen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious, I'm so behind on baking but whoopie pies has been on my "to bake" list for a while now! Can't wait to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy, I love coconut so I'm all over this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun are these! I'm a big coconut fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claudia, I have never succumbed to the whoopie pie phenomenon, but that filling might just make me do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bookmarking this! I love whoopee pies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh coconut, my one true love :) These look to die for!
    (And sorry for the long absence, I was traveling/graduating)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look delicious and the coconut in the middle really makes it. Great recipe and they look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia