Friday, May 25, 2012

Pudding Cake with Lemon Filling



It's so funny how we relate to food and our past memories of it and good times. We always had this for special occasion's, birthdays etc.  As we grow older and reflect on yesteryear, we realize the simple things are best in life sometimes and we cherish those memories forever.  Life goes by so fast, then one day you think wow that was a long time ago and smile. We can always go back in time with food, the memories last a lifetime, the food will give you the warmth and comfort of childhood.
This one was in mine.

3 eggs separated
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
 
Grease a round 8 inch round pan or greased 8 inch square pan ( you can also make them individual size in small round ramekins dishes as pictured)

Beat egg whites with 1/4 cup sugar until soft peaks  are formed. In a separate bowl, add all wet ingredients and then fold in with dry ingredient and whisk together gently.  Carefully fold in the egg whites. Pour into your prepared pan or pans. Place the pan or individual pans into a water bath, ( using a large aluminum pan like a turkey roaster filled with water around two inches) Bake in a 350 degree hot preheated oven around 35 to 45 minutes. Dust with powder sugar or serve with whipped cream. Serve warm ..  Sprinkle with powdered sugar .

21 comments:

Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef said...

I want to have a birthday at your house! This looks fantastic!

Federica said...

Whata wonderful cake. It should be very soft and delicate with lemon flavor. Bye, have a great we

Su said...

Oh I love the way you talked about the food and life today. I completelly agree with you!!
And I also loved this simple, yet wonderfull, cake :)
Big kiss

Lizzy said...

I've made something similar years ago...and Bill loved it! Your recipe looks amazing, Claudia~

PS...you are now a Food Stories Award Nominee. See my watermelon sorbet post for the details~

Tina Bk said...

You have been enjoying this type of cake a lot longer than me. Clearly your family is made up of some wonderful cooks/bakers!
I am sure that anyone even trying this for the first time would find it the perfect comfort dish-yum! Enjoy the weekend Claudia!

Greg said...

I love this so simple, but I bet it has a good lemon flavor.

Greg said...

I love this cake. It is so simple to make, but I bet it has a great lemon flavor.

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Lemon is my favorite summer flavor for desserts. This simple cake is perfect.

Claudia said...

I can so see why you had this for celebrations. Love the lemony freshness of this and saving this - and it's summer - which means everything has to be easier than normal! Have a grand weekend!

Alida said...

Looks great! Have a nice weekend my dear. Ciao!

Angie's Recipes said...

I too would love this pudding cake! Looks delish.

Jennifer said...

Your introductory paragraph is sweet and so true. :) Love this.

Corporate Catering said...

Your post just made me wistful and almost teary-eyed. When I have meatloaf I feel like an 8-year old again and I remember my dad.

By the way, the pudding cake looks delicious!

Val @ Tips on Healthy Living said...

So poetic and true! They say that taste memories last the longest and are the most powerful, and you only realize that as you get older. The cake looks yummy! I bet the individual sizes would be adorable.

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

I love lemon desserts! This looks soooo good, can't wait to try it out! :)

gobakeyourself said...

Cannot go wrong with my friend such a delicious lemony dessert - a beautiful post to accompany it as well :D

Cheers
Choc Chip Uru

Kathy said...

My kind of cake…simple and delicious! Lemon flavored desserts are my favorite! Have a great weekend!

Parsley Sage said...

Oooh! Lovely cake. The lemon filling sounds so fantastic :)

BUZZED

Kimberly (Unrivaledkitch) said...

awesome. I love childhood memory food. It just makes you all warm and fuzzy inside. Simplicity is key in life we just need to remember it a little more often. Happy weekend Claudia! cheers

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Oh, I love this cake! And I'm saving this recipe.

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I love lemon anything! I would love this cake. Blessings dear. Catherine xo