Slow Cooker Easy Osso Buco

Sunday, May 13, 2012
This is a slow cooker easy way to make osso buco and my mom's recipe.












Slow Cooker Easy Osso Buco



2 -16 oz cans rinsed and drained whole potatoes ( or use small white potatoes and boil for 12 minutes, drain)

1 cup sliced fresh carrots or canned

1 cup mushrooms canned or fresh ( you can also substitute peas if you don't like mushrooms)

1/2 cup dry red wine

3 very large tomato chopped

2 tablespoons lemon juice fresh or bottled

1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

1/4 teaspoon oregano

1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1 1/4 cup chicken stock

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 package dry mushroom soup mix or onion soup mix

4 lamb shanks or veal shanks

salt and pepper to taste or 1/4 teaspoon each

dash of cayenne pepper

First I like to sear the meat in a large fry pan.

Place the shanks in a fry pan with some extra virgin olive oil and garlic whole cloves cleaned.

Fry until browned on both sides.

In a 5 quart (or larger) slow cooker, mix together the potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley, minced garlic, garlic powder, spices and herbs, salt and pepper.

Place lamb or veal shanks on top of vegetables, sprinkle with soup mix, and add 1 cup broth. Cover and cook 7 to 9 hours on low setting. Remove lamb or veal shanks to a serving platter and cover to keep warm.

With slow cooker still on low setting, stir red wine into sauce and vegetable mixture.

In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup broth and cornstarch. Stir into sauce and vegetable mixture until thickened. Pour over lamb or veal shanks and serve immediately.

10 comments

  1. Dear Claudia,

    My mom has passed away too. It will be 25 years that I am without her on earth, but she is in my heart every moment. My dad is gone many years also, but they both instilled love that gives me strength.
    I think you and I were very blessed to have the memories that were given to us. Our upbringing fills us with love and passion.
    I wish you a very happy mother's day. I am happy that we met.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Claudia, Wonderful dish, one of my favorites that I haven't had in a long, long time. Blessings dear. Catherine xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had Osso Buco I am going to have to give this a try. I hope you have a good Mother's Day, even though you are away from your sons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful and touching tribute to you dear departed mom, Claudia. I'm sure she is smiling down at you, from heaven today, and always!
    Your slow-cooked osso bucco look and smells incredible, I wish I could have some today. My family is still trying to decide where to go for Mother's Day lunch, or dinner.
    (every place is all booked for reservation)

    I wouldn't mind making a nice meal, had I planned it...a delicious slow-cooked osso bucco would have been everybody's favorite!
    Happy Mother's Day!
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm.. osso buco. I have actually never made it myself but had it a few times. It is a tasty dish.
    Hope you had a good mother's day. Here in England is in March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another wonderful dish, Claudia...I know your mom would have loved it. I just know she was a kind and wonderful woman...that legacy is passed on through you. Enjoy your visit. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claudia, Your post is so touching. I lost my mother 4 years ago and not a day goes by that I don’t think of her. We also spent many wonderful hours in the kitchen making memories! Wishing you a blessed and happy Mother’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite meals. One of my mother's favorite meals. What a lovely tribute to one of the most important people in your life. Loved it. Hope you're enjoying Utica.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Remembering is always a great way to keep the memories alive. This osso buco sounds amazing and even better that it's done in a crockpot =)

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia