Thursday, April 12, 2012

Texas Sheet Cake Recipe White or Chocolate



The perfect cake for any outing, picnic, pot luck!
Chocolate
Texas Sheet Cake:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon milk
4 1/4 cups confectionery sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons almond flavoring

Topping:  Chopped Pecan and Toasted Coconut

Beat the butter, water, cocoa in a saucepan over a low heat until the butter melts. Add sugar, flour, salt, eggs, soda, sour cream, and almond flavoring. Mix well. Pour in a jelly roll style pan 15x10x1 inch size.
Bake at 350 degree hot oven for 20 minutes. Make the frosting by combining butter, cocoa and milk in a saucepan bringing to a boil. Add the remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer.  Spread over hot cake and sprinkle with chopped pecans and toasted coconut.

Note: for toasted coconut place on a paper plate and microwave for 1 minute intervals until nicely browned, stirring often.

Vanilla:
1 cup butter
1 cup water
2 cups flour
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon baking soda 
1 teaspoon salt

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
4 1/2 cups confectionery sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup chopped walnuts

In a deep saucepan,  bring butter and water to a boil. Remove from the heat, stir in the flour, sugar, eggs, sour cream, almond extract, baking soda and salt until smooth.
Pour into a greased jelly roll size pan ( 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in).  Bake at 375 degrees  for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean and cake is golden brown. Cool for 20 minutes.
For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine butter and milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in sugar and extract. Stir in walnuts; spread over warm cake.  ( You can also sprinkle toasted coconut of this one if you like).

Like Peanut Butter?  Try Peanut Butter Texas Sheet Cake! click here

26 comments:

Federica said...

Black or white it sounds deliciuos :) Bye, have a good day

alison said...

looks so tempting,delicious job!:)

Greg said...

The chocolate frosting oozing off the cake onto the plate looks awesome. Makes me want to lick the spoon. Now for the rest of the day you are going to have me thinking about chocolate frosting.

Greg said...

The chocolate frosting oozing off the cake onto the plate looks awesome. Makes me want to lick the spoon. Now for the rest of the day you are going to have me thinking about chocolate frosting.

Greg said...

That chocolate frosting oozing off the cake onto the plate makes me want some. I feel the need to lick a spoon covered in chocolate. You know I am going to be thinking about this all day now.

Tina said...

I really do love this classic cake and your picture here is a delicious reminder that it has been way too long since I have indulged in a piece. Also, pretty cool to find a vanilla version-it is the first I have seen of this. Making both of these is one sure way that everyone will be pleased! Ha-like Greg, I may have some issues with having that delicious image floating around in my head for awhile! Have a great day!

Claudia said...

This is one delicious (and dangerous) cake in my hands. Oh so good - now to find people to share!

Steve @ the Black Peppercorn said...

Looks great and I would love a bowl full of that frosting!!!

drick perry said...

I'll take the chocolate, and a big piece if you don't mind,,,,

Jennifer said...

Phew, Claudia, that looks decadent and so ridiculously good. I'd love to low-carb it, but I can't have chocolate as I get migraines these days. Waah!! I live vicariously through your dessert and can almost taste it!!

Reeni said...

I never had Texas sheet cake! Looks delicious I need to make one!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh my goodness, wish I could have a piece, bt I will make it for my daughter who dies for chocolate! Thanks for your lovely visit...you are a talented lady, NOT ME!! Have a terrific weekend.
FABBY

Magic of Spice said...

Look at all of that chocolate goodness...heavens! I think I could just dive in :)

Kim Bee said...

I have this overwhelming desire to say "damn y'all". This is incredible.

Peggy said...

I love Texas sheet cake! This looks great Claudia!

TheChocolatePriestess said...

I have never heard of a non-chocolate Texas sheet cake before... just like I've never heard or seen one that wasn't basically a very plain and simple chocolate cake with the focus on quantity not quality.

Jane and Lorraine said...

I have a Texas sheet cake bookmarked in a cookbook, I hope it taste as good as yours look!

Kiri W. said...

Hooooly moley :) That looks like chocolate paradise!

Cucina49 said...

Oh, how I love Texas sheet cake! Make mine vanilla, please.

Renee @ Tortillas and Honey said...

I didn't know there was a white cake form of this recipe! This is so intriguing!

Suzi said...

I love the way the frosting is running over the sides. Delicious!

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

I've actually never had Texas sheet cake but after seeing that first photo with the chocolate oozing in every direction, that may have to change!

Sarah Carletti said...

Visiting from Katherine's Corner. Love the Italian theme. My hubby is Italian so this is great and that sheet cake looks awesome!

Karena said...

Yum!! I am a Chocoholic; however I think I would choose the White Cake, delish!!

Over from Katherine's!

I have a $100 Giveaway from Soft Surroundings on my site if you would like to enter!!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Katherines Corner said...

shhh don't tell anyone I just drooled on my keyboard, LOL. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things Hop! xo

Sandra said...

This is a classic that I've never made or eaten. Yours looks so good Claudia and I'd love to try it.