Thursday, April 5, 2012

Butter Rum Almond Brittle Candy Recipe

Do you like peanut brittle? Well your in for a real treat then! I was stunned how easy this brittle was to make. I have now tried with cashews, macadamia nuts, and pecans, so far the almonds our my favorite next to pecans,  so here's the recipe that made me crave more.  My husband ate this whole batch and has asked me to make it again, he is not a big sweet eater but this one that is so addicting.
 Don't miss trying this one..... If you want something special for any holiday this is it!

1 cup white sugar
1 cup rum
2 cups almonds whole and unsalted
1/4 cup butter

Generously oil a cookie sheet or use parchment paper.

Bring the sugar and rum to boil in a  deep saucepan on high. Cook for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes or longer depending on your stove, the important thing is boiling until candy thermometer reads 234 - degrees F.

Remove from heat and add the almonds, using a wooden spoon and stirring constantly to coat with syrup. The sugar will turn white and grainy looking after about 30 seconds. Return saucepan to high heat.  Watch carefully not to burn and overcook, (nuts may begin to pop so don't put your face too close to the pot as this syrup is extremely hot) keep stirring, do not leave this alone.


When the syrup has turned a rich caramel color, which  that takes only about 2 to 3  minutes, remove from heat, add and stir in butter. Pour on to prepared cookie sheet, spreading out in one single layer, separating any almonds. Cool completely before eating.  See below tips on storing.

A crunchy buttery almond with rum flavoring, a great little snack at adult parties.

Important info for storing the brittle:
Place the brittle to keep it from becoming a gooey mess in a locking lid tight container metal tin or plastic. This will keep it brittle and keep it's snap for us to two weeks.
One other recommendation is to stack your brittle between wax paper so it doesn't stick...

More Candy Recipes?

Rum Coconut Cream Bon Bon
White Chocolate Truffles
Nutella Truffles
Crockpot candy cup bites
Curt's Nutter Butter Truffles
Easter Egg Nests

19 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh goodness, this is fabulous! Hubby loves this candy, brittkle is his very fav! Thanks for sharing this recipe, it looks awesome and I'm making it soon to try it. Wishing you a great Easter Sunday to you and your family.
FABBY

Federica said...

I often prepare the crunchy almonds.
It's a good idea to add rum to make them even more tempting. Bye, have a great day

Mary said...

Nice, these are great to munch on.

Tina said...

Well this recipe looks like it was made for just me. I have a bad habit of getting brittle and then eating the clumps with the nuts and throwing the rest away. I know it is wasteful.
Your brittle is packed with nuts-yum! Also I love the addition of the rum. I will need to make this whenever I get a brittle craving. Tastier and less waste-thanks Claudia!

Greg said...

I have to make this. My dad made peanut brittle for years and I haven't had it since he died. I am craving some brittle right now.

Tina said...

PS-I forgot in my original comments...Happy Easter!

Rosemary said...

I've never been much of a candy maker -- this sure is tempting! Have a blessed Easter, Claudia.

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Yum! I will have to try this. Love the almonds in it.

Lizzy said...

I've never seen candied nuts made with booze, but with your husband's endorsement, I'll have to give these a try :) In case I don't get back before Sunday, have a wonderful Easter, my friend! I'm blessed to know you~xo

ARLENE said...

Any kind of nut brittle was my dad's favorite--and mine--and yours look absolutely lip-smacking!

Shelby said...

Sugar, rum, butter and almonds? You don't need to say much more that those words to have my attention!

Reeni said...

I love that this has rum in it! So yummy. Happy Easter!

carpet cleaning Fargo ND said...

My family will love it, yummy

mjskit said...

Oh I do love brittle and this looks fabulous!

Kiri W. said...

Oooh, almond brittle! I am so up for it!

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog said...

I'm so fun of candies, more when are made with dried fruits.

This special case with almonds is scrumptious :) Yum yum!

Happy Easter!


Gera

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog said...

oooops instead of fun was fan :)
Still need to improve my English...

Cucina49 said...

I'm not a huge fan of peanuts, but love almonds--this is a huge improvement on peanut brittle in my opinion!

A Lovin' Forkful said...

Oh my gosh, I KNOW I could eat that entire bowl of candy in that photo!