Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Zuppa Di Pesce (Italian Fish Soup)





4 lb of assorted mixed fish
 ( some suggestions would be all boneless haddock, cod or other white firm fish. Shellfish, mussels, clams cleaned thouroughly. Cleaned squid, shimp, scallops, lobster meat or crab meat )
                             
Freshly ground pepper and sea salt
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 vidalia onion chopped (optional for me)
5 cloves garlic sliced in half
3 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup Burgundy wine
3 cups of fresh vine ripe or plum tomatoes pureed(or use canned)
6  very thick slices of Italian bread day old toasted


In a large sauce pot 5 quarts, on medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and sauté until it begins to soften 3 minutes. Add the minced (3 garlic cloves) of the sliced garlic cloves and 2 tablespoon of the parsley and sauté until the garlic is starting to smell fragrant, around 1 minute.

Add the red pepper flakes and pour in the wine and next put in in the tomato puree and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.

Begin adding the seafood to the soup, starting with the squid if using.  After all the seafood is added, reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, at a slow simmer for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.

Note: If using mussels or clams, discard any that haven't opened before serving.  Shrimp can be served with tails on for presentation.

Meanwhile, toast the bread and rub the surface with the rest of cut sides of the halved garlic. Place 1 thick slice of bread into a serving bowl. Pour fish over the bread to serve.
Sprinkle with the remaining parsley. My family loves to sprinkle grating cheese on top  and add more hot red pepper flakes.

14 comments:

Federica said...

I love this! Bye, have a great day

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks so delicious. Anything with lots of seafood is my kind of meal.

Greg said...

I'll take a very large bowl please! What a fantastic recipe. I see this as a nice romantic dinner, with a bottle of wine and a loaf of crusty bread.

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...looks delicious. I would add in lots of seafood :D

Alida said...

Mussels are in season now here... I have never made fish soup before. It's time for me to start.. thanks for this recipe.

Natasha Price said...

An awesome soup with delicious fresh seafood!

Kiri W. said...

Oh, that looks lovely :) I love fish and seafood soups that are broth based, give me a bouillabaisse any day! Great recipe.

Tina said...

Lovely, restaurant quality dish here! I do love seafood with an italian twist and this one looks amazing. Light and delicious-file this one in the "treasured" recipe box!

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

YUM! Looks so yummy & with fresh seafood! It's really very appetizing! :)

Jaime said...

The seafood soup is something I always order at my favourite Italian and this reminds me of how delicious it was. Looks so good!

anthony stemke said...

This is absolutely delicious, I've had variations of it several times.
Thank You.

Rochelle Ramos said...

This looks so good and comforting! I think they have mussels on sale and if not I can certainly do this with clams or shrimp.

drick perry said...

lovely recipe and beautiful photos... are you doing anything different with your photography?

Magic of Spice said...

What a beautiful seafood soup...lovely and comforting :)