Friday, March 2, 2012

Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe

Seriously if you can use all fresh vegetables, this is the best soup ever in robust flavors. This is the quick version but I prefer to use all fresh beans and vegetables... A great soup your going to love!
 
6 cups canned chicken broth, vegetable broth or homemade chicken broth (I made my own)
1 cup or more of chunky diced chicken
1 (14 ½ ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies and the juice or fresh tomatoes with chilies
1 cup water
1 can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed or fresh done in the crockpot
1 can black beans drained and rinsed or fresh done in the crockpot
1 can corn either frozen or canned
1 can cut green beans fresh boiled canned or frozen
1 bell pepper diced any kind 
2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
1 cup tomato sauce
6 whole corn tortillas or 2 1/2 cups tortilla chips broken up into small pieces
1 package of chili seasonings mix
pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
Garnish:
 
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 1 cup mexican blend cheese 
1 cup crumbled corn tortilla chips
optional: sour cream
 
 
 Combine all the soup ingredients in a large saucepan or soup pot over high heat. Chop the corn tortillas into small pieces with a food processor or sharp knife then add them to the the soup.
 
 Bring soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the soup has thickened and tortilla pieces have dissolved, for the most part.
 
Serve soup in a bowl, topped with a garnish and heaping tablespoon of the shredded cheese over the top of the soup, crumbled tortilla chips over the cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

For fresh  cooked dried beans:
Beans, Beans, Beans

For more recipes and soups:
Tuscan White Bean Stew
Chicken Leg Soup
Beans, Ham and Brussel Sprout Soup
Lamb Chili and Burgundy Wine
Meatball Vegetable Soup
Bean Marsala Soup
Grandma's vermicelli peas and pasta
Grandma's Ham, Bacon and Lentil Soup
Depression Bean Soup
Turkey Cannellini Soup
Burgundy Zucchini Stew

12 comments:

Federica said...

What interesting mix of ingredients in this rich soup. It sound very good. Bye, have a great we

Tina said...

This does look like something I would enjoy! I like the round up of the veggies in this soup. Canned is a quick way to go, but fresh is the best way to go when you have time. Happy Friday!

Greg said...

I know this soup is good, because I make one just like it but without the tortillas. So good on a cold winter day.

Becky said...

Your soup looks perfect for the snowy day that's coming our way again! Love all the veggies and garnishes.

Have a great weekend!

Joanne said...

Love that you used beans in this soup.

Alida said...

Lovely recipe, the beans combine well with this. Something new for me today. Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Karen (Back Road Journal) said...

Sounds like a spicy and flavorful soup. I have everything in my pantry to make it.

Lizzy said...

Sounds wonderful, Claudia! I love these SW flavors in soup...yummy!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I love soups like this. Quick, easy, nutritious and delicious! Perfect soup to toss together when you're late getting home from work and don't feel like slaving over the stove. Thanks for sharing.

filmansantiago said...

I am really salivating while watching this. LOL! I could imagine the taste! Whew! Just to divert my drolling, me, my wife and kiddo ordered pizza hut. Anyway, it still has tomatoes in it. hahaha... Will keep visiting your site to read great Italian recipes. Cheers!

Kiri W. said...

Mmm, this sounds like my kind of hearty soup packed with flavor :) Love it!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Hey Claudia,
I love this soup! So easy to prepare too!

Bon appetite!
CCR
=:~)