Sunday, February 12, 2012

Very Berry Cherry Italian Cream Tart


An elegant dessert to serve, it took me longer to try and get a good picture
 than it was to make from start to finish!

Tart Crust
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup salted butter softened
1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Removable tart pan
cooking spray
Fruit Suggestions: canned peaches, pears, plums, cherries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, blueberries. Fresh when in season.  When Erin from The Queen of Tarts Blog contacted me about my Blueberry Donut post on Foodbuzz, I was so honored to be asked if she can repost using Oregon canned fruits in her post. She offered to send me some samples and I couldn't wait to whip something up with them. Thanks Erin!


Topping:
 2 cups assorted canned or fresh fruits to equal 2 cups of fruit total ( cherries, blueberries and red raspberries, blackberries etc) drain and set aside, adding water to make one cup of juice. ( I used a mixture of dark sweet canned cherries drained,  1/2 cup of fresh blueberries and  1/2 cup fresh red raspberries, around two cups of fruit total)
1 tablespoon corn starch per cup of juice
Mix cornstarch in a small amount of water to make a smooth paste. Pour the drained juice into a small saucepan on medium heat, ( if using all fresh fruit, you can use apple, pear or other fruit juice to make one cup) add the cornstarch and cook till thickened. Takes around 3 to 4 minutes after boiling. Cool.
For the dough:
1/2 cup crushed nuts such as: (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans or almonds, pistachio or macadamia) for the bottom of the tart pan

Roll out dough on parchment paper, lift to carefully place in lightly oil sprayed tart pan.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts.  Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork.

Bake until golden or around 30 minutes at 375 degree hot oven. Cool completely.

For the Italian Pastry Cream:
1 1/4 cups whole milk
3 large egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1/8 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon peel
1 tablespoon almond or vanilla, added last.

Blend dry ingredients in a bowl set aside. Add milk slowly beating till smooth whisk in yolks, cook till thickened, remove from heat stir in peel and add vanilla.  Cool.
Assembly:
Pour the cream filling  on the crust,  top with fruit of choice. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to eat.


 A seriously delicious tart!
It didn't last long!

Try some of my other dessert tarts:

Amaretto Strawberry Cream Tart
Raspberry Coconut Cream Tart
Nutella Mousse Tart
Cannoli Tarts

30 comments:

Vicki Bensinger said...

This looks so good! I never make tarts but have a tart pan that I use to make a lot of homemade quiches in. I may have to pull those out and make this. Yum!

Federica said...

I love all the fruits you used for the topping of this amazing tarte. Great ^_^ Bya, have a good Sunday

Greg said...

That tart looks fantastic! A few nuts on the bottom for a little crunch. mmmm!

Rosemary said...

Looks like a perfect Valentine's Day treat! But I do not have a tart pan! Enough reason to get one!

Tina said...

Berries and cream are something that I cannot resist-yum! This definitely looks like you did not skimp on that fruit. I also like the touch of nuts in the bottom of the crust. Your picture does look fabulous, however a dessert that quickly disappears is the real clue to how wonderful it really is. Great recipe Claudia!

Reeni said...

This looks incredible Claudia! The cherry topping is so luscious. Love it!

Melinda said...

where is the sugar for the fruit? Is it sweet enough without adding sugar?

Pegasuslegend said...

@Melinda good question. Yes the canned cherries with the addition of the fresh is sweet enough not to add any sugar to our taste. If using all fresh you will have to add around 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups of fruit... unless you love naturally sweet like we do... most of the time the fruits here in Florida are sweet enough!

Lizzy said...

Gorgeous, Claudia! Perfect Valentine's Day dessert...so lovely and festive :)

Claudia said...

I really feel red and white is just magical on Valentine's Day - this is so very pretty. I don't know about how long it took to get a good photograph - but you did! It's a welcoming beauty!

Ann said...

Wow! This sound delicious and it's absolutely picture perfect! Happy (early) Valentines Day!

Rachelle said...

So yummy! Any tart or pie grabs my attention.

Baker Street said...

Woah! Absolutely perfect! Love the colors! Just gorgeous.

Linnie said...

So wonderful! Any man should be grateful to get this for their v-day dinner desert!

Grubarazzi said...

This is simply gorgeous. I want a huge slice of this immediately!

Kiri W. said...

Mmmmm, this looks glorious! :)

Magic of Spice said...

I love that you added nuts on top of the crust, what a great texture this would add! Gorgeous tart!

Jane and Lorraine said...

This looks so good! I love all berries, I can just imagine how tasty this is, Its beautiful!

Katherines Corner said...

I have always loved tarts, and any berries so this one is perfect.Hugs P.S. thank you for linking to Thursday Favorite Things linky party

Mari said...

This looks like a very delicious tart! I have liked it! Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

Have a great weekend :)

Denise said...

This looks really delicious!

Kim Bee said...

Oh my gosh this looks positively decadent. This makes me wish I was your neighbour.

Anita at Hungry Couple said...

Oh, this looks so good. It wouldn't last long around me either!

Tya @ Note Etc. said...

if that berry cherry tart were in front of me, I will not wasting my time to eat it till the last bite! that looks adorable in color and the first thing is there is lots of berry on the topping, I'm crazy with berries :)

cheers

Tya @ Note Etc. said...

if that berry cherry tart were in front of me, I will not wasting my time to eat it till the last bite! that looks adorable in color and the first thing is there is lots of berry on the topping, I'm crazy with berries :)

cheers

Peggy said...

This tart looks so good Claudia!

ornella said...

it looks great!is snack time here it's perfect with a cup of tea ;) YUM

April @ Ape's Eats said...

wow this looks delicious! I eyed your strawberry amaretto tart as well....YUM

Cucina49 said...

Ooh, Claudia, I know you said it was fast but it looks like the product of a lot of hard work. Delicious!

Tia the Baker said...

looks fabulous!