Saturday, January 28, 2012

Panzanella Salad Recipe and Video

Oh the taste of freshness with basil,  garlic, tomato, cucumber, over a  soft inside and crunchy outside,  parmesan herb bread. You are surely in for a treat with the taste of summer in this plate...



Panzanella Salad

1 cucumber chopped in small cubes
2 large, beefsteak or vine ripe tomatoes
1 bell pepper chopped in cubes
4 cloves of  finely minced fresh garlic
6 large fresh basil leaves torn in small pieces
 1 1/2 cups Fresh white mozzarella, cubed

Dressing

3 cloves finely minced garlic
1/4  teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons good grade balsamic vinegar preferred or use champagne vinegar
1 tablespoon white wine
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon honey

Cut Up The Bread
1 baguette french or Italian bread, about 6-8 cups cubed
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried, oregano, parsley, basil
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400°
Cube and cut up all the vegetables into a medium size bowl, fold in the mozzarella cubes set aside.
 In a small bowl combine the wine, vinegar, mustard, pepper, honey, garlic, salt, cayenne and olive oil. Mix with a wire whisk until it is well mixed and slightly thickened. Pour over vegetable and cheese cubes in the medium bowl and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours before serving. 

 Cut the bread into  1 inch pieces and toss into a large plastic zip lock bag. Adding  olive oil and salt, garlic powder, basil, parsley, oregano and cheese. Toss  all pieces until they are  well coated.  Place on a foil or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Place in 430 degree oven for 6-8 minutes or until the edges of the bread are golden and crispy but not hard like croutons.  Let cool.

Add bread to a plate, scoop vegetables over the top and serve.



18 comments:

Federica said...

Great ^_^ I love panzanella. This dish is a symbol of my summer. Bye, have a good we

Maureen said...

I made this the other day but used a garlic and chive bread that I'd made. It's such a good salad. Great photos!

Lizzy said...

So beautiful, healthy and delicious! A lovely touch of summer for January!!!

drick perry said...

great salad, fresh as summer is right - love the look of that bread... have not had bread in two weeks, might have to break down and get me a baguette

Greg said...

I went to one of those bulk stores and bought a big box of tomatoes and then ended up not making what I planned. I have been trying to figure out ways to use the tomatoes and forgot all about this salad. I definitely see a panzanella in my future.

Alida said...

Viva l'Italia!I love panzanella, it is ever so nice.
I like your blog and I will follow you. Ciao!

Patty said...

Yum!! I am loving your italian salads! I have to get on Lou to start making them. I think I could bribe him with panzanella! Thanks for the recipe!

Becky said...

Your salad looks lovely. Wish that I had your tomatoes to make the salad, instead of the pale cardboard tasting ones we have here, now. Will make this salad with local tomatoes in the summer.

ARLENE said...

My mouth is watering. Being the carboholic that I am, this is an old favorite.

Vicki Bensinger said...

Great video Claudia. I love Panzanella salad. It's so refreshing, healthy and hearty with the croutons in it. I really like the sound of your dressing. I'll have to try your version.

Ruth said...

Great Video! I've suvscribed to your channel :)

Magic of Spice said...

This does look like summer on a plate...love the color and freshness, and that fantastic dressing!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, Beautiful salad. I am trying to eat a lot of salad these days. Blessings, Catherine xo

Kiri W. said...

Mmm, panzanella :) Lovely! Looks so fresh and delicious!

Cucina49 said...

Oh, that is gorgeous! Panzanella is one of the classics that I haven't tackled yet. It looks great!

Trix said...

It's great how panzanella has so many variations, like this one!

Tina said...

This salad looks so fresh and vibrant-definitely a good one to have for lunch or dinner. There are a lot of choices out there for salads but I would have to say Panzanella is one of the best in my book!

Kristina said...

This is such a pretty looking plate! Panzella Salad is always so good, and balsamic vinegar is one of my favorite ingredients! Yum :)