Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Eggplant, Peppers, Mushrooms and Olives Italian Sauce Recipe



1 medium eggplant
1 medium green, yellow or red pepper, chopped
1 (28 ounce) can Italian style tomatoes, cut up
1 (6 ounce) can Italian style tomato paste
1 8 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained or washed fresh mushrooms
2 cloves, minced garlic
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup pitted calamata olives, sliced
2 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
4 cups hot cooked penne pasta
Optional: 2 cups cubed cooked pork, chicken or beef
1/3 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (optional)

Peel eggplant, then cut into 1-inch cubes.

In a large size crockpot around 5 quarts,  combine eggplant, garlic, peppers, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, garlic, water and oregano (add meat if using). Cook on low 7 to 8 hours. Stir in olives and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve over pasta with parmesan cheese. Garnish with toasted pine nuts

17 comments:

Federica said...

What a rich sauce with vegetables. I love it. Bye, have a good day

Leticia's Cook Book said...

I just got a new crockpot and I'm definitely making this. Thank you so much!

Greg said...

I have got to try this one. So simple but I bet it is fantastic. To top it off it is healthy.

Curt said...

Lots of fresh veggies and pasta. Good stuff!

Lizzy Do said...

Looks delicious, Claudia! I'd love it with Italian sausage...mmmmm.

ARLENE said...

Love all the ingredients separately, so can only imagine they're delicious together!

Lucia from Madison said...

Wow that looks wonderful!

drick perry said...

sounds like it packs a punch of goodness... a real taste teaser I am sure..
know the cooked down sauce would be heavenly..

Parsley Sage said...

Good stuff! Love the eggplant and mushroom :)

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Such incredible flavors, this looks delicious! :)

Kiri W. said...

This looks beautiful, vibrant and healthy :) Great dish!

Amalia said...

I love all the vegetables! They're all some of my favorites! The colors are just gorgeous. I would definitely eat this sauce in a heart beat :)

Jane and Lorraine said...

WOW! This looks so GOOD! I've never had eggplant but I love peppers and mushrooms! I know its as good as it looks! :-)

Liz Marr, MS, RD @ Liz On FooD said...

Lovely, flavorful and healthful dish. Thanks for sharing!

Claudia said...

January should be called "vegetable month" because we all stand up and pay attention. This is the perfect dish for keeping many New Year resolutions. So tasty - it makes eating healthy a pleasure.

Eliotseats said...

Now I know why I had pasta in my head all day---I must have had a 6th sense you were posting this fab sauce!

Tina said...

This is a healthy twist on the traditional tomato sauce. Even though it has a lot of veggies in it, the addition of meat or poultry makes it that much better! Great sauce Claudia-yum!