Sunday, January 22, 2012

Corkscrew (Fusillioni) Pasta with Sausage and Creamy Tomato Sauce

    Here's a perfect Sunday quick Italian meal... a little fattening, just once in awhile
    you just have to splurge~ I love the sun-dried tomatoes and cream!!
  • 1 - 1/2 cups oil packed sun dried tomatoes, drained  saving the oil and sliced
  • 1/4 cup olive oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
  • 1 bell green pepper chopped
  • 8 oz of fresh mushrooms washed and cleaned
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1- 28 ounce can of Italian style diced plum tomatoes
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • oregano, basil, parsley to taste
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup heavy cream( goes in last please read to the end)
  • 1 pound of  sliced meat of choice : sausage, chicken, sirloin steak are some suggestions
  • 1 pound box of your favorite pasta of choice boiled in salt water set aside
 extra olive oil

Boil pasta set aside and keep warm. Toss with 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil to keep from sticking together. Set aside.
In a large skillet over low heat  add sun-dried tomato oil and completely cook meat all the way through, making sure you do not burn or use anything that will stick to the pan. Saute till brown, not too dark.  Remove meat and in the same pan with leftover oil, stir in peppers, mushrooms, add garlic, and saute till softened or your preferred taste.
Stir in diced plum and sun-dried tomatoes along with meat. Season with salt, pepper and rest of spices to taste. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 10 minutes. Add cream and stir. Pour over cooked pasta. Serve with a glass of Cabernet and cheesy garlic bread pizza.
 

26 comments:

Elisabeth said...

Wow, I sure would love a plate of this colorful, flavorful, and delicious pasta.I happen to have a jar of sun-dried tomatoes, and just bought some Italian sausage from my favorite Italian meat market, along with the pork fat, for my crackling that I fried up for the biscuits...oh, just remembered, the pasta and the biscuits would be a perfect pairing:DDD

Torviewtoronto said...

Lovely flavourful combination

Mary said...

My grandsons will sing your praises when I make this for them. It is everything a pasta casserole should be.It really sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Claudia said...

I used to make something similar when the kids are growing up - but not with the sun-dried tomatoes. This is indeed a warming, filling meal guaranteed to have everyone eat to the last bite.

Greg said...

Awesome! I haven't added sun dried tomatoes to pasta with sausage but I will now. Such a beautiful dish.

Big Dude said...

Looks delicious Claudia. It's pasta night at our place tonight and I posted today about our first try at ravioli.

anthony stemke said...

This is a wonderful weekend dish. I don't deal with sun-dried tomatoes but I know they would be wonderful here, especially utilizing the packing oil.
Thanks for this comforting tasty dish.

Big Dude said...

Thanks for the kind words - that's a real compliment coming from you. Originally we used the same recipe (from a different source) as you Mama's Egg Noodles - here's my post - http://bigdudesramblings.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-pasta-finally.html. It was soft and delicious. If this is not your normal pasta dough can you give me a link to it, my searches didn't find anything.

Lizzy said...

Thanks for the sweet thoughts and condolences for my aunt. You are a gem!

And this is my favorite kind of pasta dish...with sausage, tomatoes and cream. And you added mushrooms to make it even more fabulous. Hope you've had a wonderful weekend...I'm trying like mad to catch up :)

Spicie Foodie said...

Definitely agree, that you have to splurge every once in a while. I always love your pasta dishes, so many I've never heard of before. Corkscrew is so good and fun to eat :)

Rosemary said...

A nice splurge for a snowy Sunday! I love the corkscrews, but never can find them. And creamy tomato sauce is just perfect.

Ann said...

Wow - this certainly looks amazing! You also used one of my favorite pasta shapes! Another winner - as always!

Maureen said...

It's a really dreary day here and a plate of your pasta and sausage would really cheer me up! I would go to the butcher for sausage but it will have to wait for another day. I'm so sweet I *could* melt in all this rain. lol

Ramona said...

Hello, the name of this pasta shape is cellentani:)
Congratulations for your blog ... very rich!
good day ...
Ramona

Tina said...

You must have a big closet of all different shapes of pasta at home! My collection I think is only one. Your pasta dish here looks well balanced between meat and noodles. Well done!

Kiri W. said...

Mmm, this looks like perfect comfort food on a cold day :) Love the corkscrew fussili, they have such a great texture!

Gloria said...

this look delicious! gloria

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar said...

This sounds so good, Claudia! I love corkscrew pasta; it's so fun! And yeah, I'm known for my love of anything with heavy cream hehe.

Kim Bee said...

This looks really wonderful Claudia. There's just something about pasta when it's cold out that I love.

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

Mmmm, looks so good, as all of your dishes do. Plus, I am a 'slave' to sausage. :)
Best,
Gloria

Amalia said...

MMM, fresh pasta with creamy tomato sauce sounds so delicious right now! This looks so great, I love that corkscrew pasta :)

Eliotseats said...

I love corkscrew pasta. This sauce sounds amazing.

Magic of Spice said...

I love creamy red sauces, and it's good to treat ourselves now and then!

Cucina49 said...

This is one of my favorite pasta shapes...and the sauce looks worthy of it.

The Farmers Wife said...

Oh that looks so good... I love me some pasta! Yum!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, Just beautiful! I can taste it from here. Blessings, Catherine xo