Monday, January 30, 2012

Buffalo Omelet Low Fat

I never knew egg whites could taste this good!
Since the beginning of the new year, I am trying to make foods I love without the fat. Here is one I absolutely was astonished by and with only around 150 calories total.. so if you would like to indulge a little more at breakfast,  add whatever you if your not dieting, however factor in the additional calories if your watching your diet for anything other than vegetables to this one.

4 eggs whites or 1 cup ( I bought the pour your own, out of the carton kind)
1 pepper sliced  in thin shavings ( sliced on a mandolin)
1/4 cup mushrooms
olive oil
buffalo hot sauce

In a medium size fry pan, heat around 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Saute the peppers and mushrooms until soft. I like to also sprinkle a pinch of garlic powder, salt and pepper in there. Pour the egg whites over the top and cook till light brown on both sides, or to your liking. After that second flip, pour your desired amount of hot sauce on top. Fold in half and serve.
Suggestions for other additions to your omelet? bacon bits, chopped chicken, low fat cheese,( add any and all the vegetables you want as those won't add more calories to your omelet.)
Broccoli, spinach, zucchini, red bell peppers with eggwhites and hot sauce!

Not the breakfast your looking for?
Try these others breakfast style eggs and home fries:

Chicken Omelet Marsala
Porterhouse Omelet 
Sausage Omelet
Potato Frittata
Italian Home Fries
Buffalo Home Fries
Crockpot Sausage and Eggs
Saucy Eggs Breakfast
Italian Veggie Frittata
Ham and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
Cloud Souffle



14 comments:

Federica said...

I usually eat only egg whites, so your omelet is perfect for me. I like it. Bye, have a good week

Tina said...

How creative is this! The hubs likes hot sauce with his eggs, so the buffalo hot sauce is a great idea.
I have never made him just whites, but it is well worth a try. The lack of yolks may not even be noticed! Great post!

Greg said...

A great side dish for this is to make toast. Then take a bottle of Tums and smash them into a powder. Sprinkle the Tums powder on the toast. :-) Just kidding this sounds good.

Claudia said...

I love salsa with my eggs - so I know I would love this - just going another step forward for maximum flavor. We are also eating light(er).

Alida said...

Not using the whites will make this dish ever so light!Great idea. We all eat so much all the time these days(especially us bloggers with all our cooking!).Well done!Brava!

Lenia said...

Great idea,dear!Have a lovely week!xxx

CulinaryCache said...

First, I love that this is low fat. Second, I love that it is smothered in buffalo sauce! Great post!

Velva said...

I never thought of adding Buffalo sauce to my eggs, but why not? It sounds delicious. I will remember it. I eat eggs often.

Velva

Kiri W. said...

I love me an omelette, looks nice and spicy! :)

Eliotseats said...

When I first looked at your post this morning, I thought it said Buffalo OATMEAL! (Sorry, hadn't had coffee yet.) Imagine my surprise when I went on to read the recipe. Looks and sound fabulous. I love it is made with egg whites.

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I would very much like this omelet, but I would have to find a use for the yolks. I just can't bring myself not to use everything. Blessings my friend, Catherine xoxo

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I love egg whites and eat them every morning practically!

Lizzy said...

Oh, gosh, this looks fantastic, Claudia! I need to buy some peppers and mushrooms ASAP :)

Elisabeth said...

Love the buffalo sauce with the omelets. Great recipe, will try it out, for sure:DDD