Thursday, January 12, 2012

Baked Barbecued Honey Orange Chicken


Marinade
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup hot sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 4 lb to 5 lb whole chicken
Glaze
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange Juice
1/4 cup homemade bbq sauce or your favorite store bought
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
2 tablespoons spicy mustard 
1/4 teaspoon allspice


Mix the orange juice, olive oil, hot sauce, mustard and zest together in a bowl. Add the chicken combine the sauce all over. Cover with plastic wrap, marinate for at least an hour but better overnight if you can in the refrigerator.

Drain the chicken from the marinade. Bake whole chicken in a heavily spray roasting pan on 400 degree hot oven for 25 minutes.  Brush chicken on both sides with glaze and continue baking until chicken juices run clear  about another hour
While the chicken is baking, melt the butter in saucepan or microwave.  Whisk in the honey, orange juice,
 bbq sauce, zest, mustard and allspice. Put some of the glaze in a small dish for serving to dip the chicken in.

Brush the chicken with glaze, flip and brush second side of the chicken . Serve chicken with reserved sauce.

Want more Chicken recipes?

19 comments:

Federica said...

I love this sauce a little sweet and sour. It's a very appetizing way to cook chicken. Bye, have a great day

Angie's Recipes said...

Chicken is perfectly baked and the glaze sounds so good!

Su said...

I bet this is to eat and cry for more... loved it :D

Rosemary said...

This looks absolutely scrumptious! I love the idea of the hot sauce in the marinade; often, barbecue chicken like this is too sweet for me. Nicely done, but you never disappoint!

Tina said...

The orange mustard blend in the marinade does make my mouth water! I am sure I would enjoy this with or without the glaze. I also like that this is baked, which insures that this is one moist and tender bird. Thanks for another delicious recipe Claudia and have a great day!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Finger-lickin' good, for sure!

Lizzy Do said...

Oh, gosh, this looks delicious, Claudia! Perfectly lacquered chicken....mmmmmm.

Cookin' Canuck said...

My mouth truly started to water when I saw this, Claudia. What a meal!

drick perry said...

I know what cooking in my house - gonna let this cold snap pass through and do this one on the grill... love it

Elisabeth said...

Love the addition of the orange juice, and honey for this yummy chicken recipe. I could allow myself to eat one piece on my Weight Watchers!
Great results for your diet, Claudia!
Keep up the good work...as for me WW is the best!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, What a lovely chicken to remind us of the warm weather on these chilly and damp NY days. Blessings, Catherine xo

Torviewtoronto said...

I haven't had orange and chicken combination looks wonderful

Claudia said...

Saving this - have a grand cut-up chicken just waiting for some bright orange to make it come alive. Love that you can enrich barbecue sauce and cut a corner here and there.

Kiri W. said...

Oooh, and there's dijon mustard involved! I would kill for a serving of this :)

anthony stemke said...

I love the orange and mustard combo in this lovely baked entree.

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar said...

This sounds great, Claudia! Orange and hot sauce wins me over!

Amalia said...

Holy crap this looks amazing! So juicy, moist, and tender, WOW! What a fabulous recipe and a gorgeous photo! I want to reach through my screen and grab a drumstick :) Great job, have a lovely weekend!

Christine's Pantry said...

This looks amazing. I love chicken.

Dieter Moitzi said...

That sure looks & sounds yummy! I'll have to try out your recipe!