Monday, December 5, 2011

Sour Cream Amaretto Cheese Cake with Hot Fudge Topping


As I was searching what to do with so much leftover sour cream I came across this recipe and wasn't surprised when one of my dearest blogging friends recipe popped up. Here is a great way to use up that sour cream.

Catherine Pappas is a fabulous baker and cook please visted her blog, this is her recipe.

Adapted from my dear friend Catherine @ http://livingthegourmet.blogspot.com/ 

Amaretto Filling:

16 oz. light sour cream
8 oz. cream cheese
 1/4 cup corn starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon Amaretto 
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 eggs
In a mixing bowl combine the corn starch, baking powder, set aside. Add the sour cream, cream cheese and sugar beat around 5 minutes till light and fluffy. Add eggs, almond extract and Amaretto and mix well until completely smooth.

 Almond Crumb Crust:

3 cups fine crumbs such as cinnamon graham cracker(is what I used), regular graham, vanilla cookies, or chocolate wafers
8 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds 
Preheat Oven 350 degrees:
Melt butter in the microwave. Mix with fine crumbs, almonds and blend well. Place the crumb mixture in 9 inch spring form pan lightly sprayed or lined with parchment paper or you can you one greased deep dish pie plate and a 6 inch springform pan (always line or lightly spray) and press crumbs down to form. I like to wrap the bottom with foil to prevent dripping in the oven.
Pour batter over crust. (I didn't prebake the crust, but you can for 5 to 6 minutes if you like, then cool first before adding the filling on the crust)
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
Cool before serving. Top with Hot fudge sauce with added Amaretto or a pureed fresh fruit topping.
      Amaretto Hot Fudge Sauce Recipe1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
      2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
      1/8 teaspoon salt
      1/4 cup water
      2 tablespoons Amaretto
      1 teaspoon almond extract

      Combine condensed milk, chocolate and salt in top of double boiler over rapidly boiling water. Stir and cook until chocolate melts and mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
      Remove from heat and stir in water, a little at a time, until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool slightly and stir in Amaretto and vanilla . Drizzle over cake. Refrigerate any unused for up to a week.

    25 comments:

    Federica said...

    This cheese cake is amazing :) I love everything made of amaretti and almonds. Bye bye, have a great week

    Peggy said...

    Oh yummy! This cake look sinfully delicious =)

    Lenia said...

    I love this version of cheesecake!It must be soooo yummy!xxx

    Lizzy said...

    Oh, my gosh, Claudia! This sounds AMAZING!!! Will buzz and stumble :)

    Big Dude said...

    WOW

    Greg said...

    Yummy! Looks amazing.

    Curt said...

    I love cheesecake! This one looks so inviting. This is an awesome recipe Claudia!

    Tina said...

    I love cheesecakes that have something from the liqueur cabinet! The three flavors here (amaretto, almonds and chocolate) do make for an amazing dessert. Well done Claudia!

    Drick said...

    one word - decadent sinful...you pick...
    hope you have a good week, and good luck

    Katherines Corner said...

    positively decadent, I love it! xo

    Claudia said...

    This is a holiday indulgence I must make - to share - because you know - I could eat it all. Have bookmarked it to bring to the family Christmas Eve where there will 40 people to help me gobble this up - I think I could dine on the sauce. I also love Catherine's blog.

    Emily Malloy said...

    Oh my gooooodnesssss!

    Catherine said...

    Dear Claudia, I have a lot of catching up to do. You have been making some delicious goodies!! This cheesecake is wonderful. Blessings my dear friend. Catherine xo

    Spicie Foodie said...

    What a great looking cheesecake. I never knew you could use sour cream. Thanks Catherine and Claudia for sharing.

    Pam said...

    This cheesecake is decadent for sure, Claudia! I have to try this sometime during the holidays and then try to refrain from devouring it all. Thanks for the recipe and Catherine also!

    Vicki Bensinger said...

    Your cheesecake looks fantastic especially drizzled with the chocolate. However if I had sour cream left over I'd probably eat it right from the spoon. I love the stuff.

    Beautiful photo and your cheesecake looks inviting

    Reeni said...

    I saw this on Catherine's and thought it looked absolutely delicious! I NEED this in my life! So yummy.

    Kiri W. said...

    Oh man, that looks delectable! In Germany, we use quark, which is kind of like a thickened sour cream, as the base for cheesecake, so that sounds like I'd love it. Amaretto makes everything better, as does hot fudge. :) Great recipe!

    Baker Street said...

    Love the combination of flavors! Absolutely delicious!

    Grubarazzi said...

    Hellooo, gorgeous cake!

    Cucina49 said...

    That looks positively decadent--love how it's presented with the hot fudge swirl.

    Alizea said...

    I love all kinds of cheesecakes, your is just amazing !

    Parsley Sage said...

    That looks and sounds out of control yummy! Soooo good :)

    buzzed!

    Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

    Love the amaretto in this cheesecake! What a fabulous dessert!

    Magic of Spice said...

    Catherine is unquestionably delightful, as are you :) This is a wonderful and beautiful cheesecake!