Monday, December 12, 2011

Ham, Cabbage and White Bean Soup



Leftover Ham with bone attached (if it has honey or glaze on it rinse it off with cold water) pull chunks off and add to the pot along with the bone. You can also just buy pre packaged ham cubes to add.
6 carrots cleaned and sliced or 1 cup of finger carrots
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups small navy beans freshly cooked or canned other white beans (if canned rinse well)

5 or 6 cut up plum tomatoes fresh or canned
2 stalks of celery with leaves
2 cloves minced garlic
1 head cabbage, cut into quarters
1- 16 oz can chicken broth
1/2 white wine
water
1/2 teaspoon each oregano, basil, garlic powder, thyme, parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, fill water half full, add broth, wine, all the vegetables, ham bone and herbs.
Sprinkle to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until all vegetables are tender.  Add beans cook 1/2 hour more. If in need add more water or chicken broth. Remove ham off the bone and add back to the pot.
 Serve with crusty Italian bread broken up in the bowl... or just dunk it!
Try this in the crockpot too!

19 comments:

Ann said...

Love, Love, LOVE bean soup - this looks amazing! BRAVO!

Federica said...

What a delicious soup :) I love them in this season,. Bye, have a great week

Greg said...

I love the! My dad used to make it all of the time, but he did not add the beans. We called it a "boiled dinner".

Drick said...

I remember doing research on a soup with cabbage and Greg's comment sounds familiar being an Eastern states related recipe... I do like a hearty soup loaded with beans, meat broth and veggies - this is a great and easy recipe Claudia... have a great week...

Mary said...

Ah! A soup to warm body and soul. It looks wholesome and delicious and I'd love to have a bowl. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Tina said...

White beans are something I always eat with cornbread, but this soup does look like a delicious change of pace. Love the big chunks of ham and veggies in there. Well done Claudia! XOXOX

ARLENE said...

That looks so warming and delicious! Just took off a pot of split pea soup, but want to try this one soon. You don't happen to have a recipe for shin beef soup, do you? My mom's was amazing and, sadly, I never got the recipe. I've played around but never gotten it just right.

Claudia said...

It's dreary. And raining. And gray. I have all the ingredients - except ham - but turkey kielbasa might work. And I am going to bring this honey together.

Jennifer said...

This soup looks wonderful and so do the ones in linkedin photos below it. ;)

Kiri W. said...

This looks lovely! Cabbage is so overlooked in other soups, and the white beans are gorgeous :)

Reeni said...

What a comforting bowl of soup! I love your pictures - really gorgeous!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

I think I'm making this with my ham bone that I have. It looks awesome!

Parsley Sage said...

It's like a big, happy hug in a bowl :) Looks delicious and warm and perfect!

Buzzed

RavieNomNoms said...

I love this soup, my mom used to make this all the time after Christmas dinner (because we always had ham for Christmas). Yours looks great!

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar said...

This looks delicious, Claudia! There is just something so comforting about bean soup. This will go on my must try list to use with leftover Christmas ham! Yum and buzzed!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, A beautiful and comforting soup. Blessings, Catherine xo

Curt said...

I love white beans. I was surprised to see all the potatoes in there. Very tasty!

Elisabeth said...

For sure, I would love to make this version of the bean soup in the crock pot, with the ham! Love, love, cabbage in the soup. The ingredients sound amazing!

Anonymous said...

I just threw this soup together in my Crockpot using part of a big, thick-cut ham steak and cannot wait to get home this evening to eat it! The soup looks wonderful (just like the pictures) and is going to taste even better! Thanks for sharing...