Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Florida Orange Cranberry Walnut Bread


Very flavorful, everyone loves this with tea or coffee! I have made several kinds of cranberry breads, this one is my favorite by far, it travels well!  It's a common quick bread here in Florida and they sell this at our local farmers market, it flies off the shelves!

This cranberry bread is  very dense, an extremely thick batter, a little tart and just perfect for gift giving.

 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup orange juice
Grated peel of 1 orange
2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine
2 tablespoons hot coffee
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries coarsely chopped
1 cup coarsely chopped  nuts,  pecans, walnuts or macadamia, or a combo of all three (that's what I do)
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl mix all wet ingredients together, gently fold into batter just till moistened.
Fold in nuts and cranberries. Grease foil lined loaf pans 4 mini or 2 large or your choice of greased pans. pour into pans.
Bake on 325 degree preheated oven for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

19 comments:

Federica said...

I've already saved the recipe :) This bread is simply amazing, with all ingredients I love. I can't find frozen cranberries, but I will use the dried ones.- Thanks for sharing, have a great day

Greg said...

I read your description saying the bread was dense, thick and tart and thought you were talking about my niece. :-) you have another winner here Claudia. I think I am going to be baking bread this weekend, cause I feel the need the need to knead.

Tina said...

Love the rustic look of this bread! The big chunks of tart cranberries in there is what really makes me want to try this. Tart is a delightful alternative to sweet or savory. Yum!

Curt said...

Oh boy does that look good. I love the orange and cranberry combo. Sounds very tasty.

Belinda @zomppa said...

It looks perfectly moist!

Emily Malloy said...

Christmas perfection!

Magic of Spice said...

I would not mind having a piece right now...looks delicious :)

Kiri W. said...

That looks so moist! My mom would love this kind of sweet bread :)

Suzi said...

I really like the orange and cranberry combo. Looks delicious. I have tons of oranges going on here in Central FL I wish I could send you some. We put them in boxes out by the sidewalk with a FREE sign. One year someone made me orange marmalade from them and brought it over. Nice. This year I am seriously going to try doing something with some of them. Any suggestions. Have a great day!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny said...

What a gorgeous bread recipe, this looks so delicious! :)

anthony stemke said...

This is a great dessert bread, I like the ingredients.

Claudia said...

I forgot how much I love this bread. Cranberry and orange together cannot be beat. And your crumb is so tender and welcoming.

Reeni said...

I was craving cranberry bread all day! This sounds incredible!

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmm....fabulous bread!

Cucina49 said...

Wow--that is just dense with fruit. It looks wonderful!

Elisabeth said...

Yes, you are right...it does fly off the shelves here in Florida from the farmers' market!
This really is a wonderful bread, and yummy recipe. I will certainly make this for the holidays!
Another winner:DDD

Sandra said...

I will have to try this soon...very flavorful and I am so sure that I will love it!!! Thanks sweetie!

Tya said...

I love walnut, and something easy to make, and those pic looks yummy

cheers

Feathersnpaws said...

I just made 4 mini loaves and sampled one and it is scrumpdelyicous!!!! My husbands eyes almost popped out when he took a taste fresh out of the oven. Thanks again Claudia for another keeper recipe from you. Happy New Year!