Thursday, November 24, 2011

Sweet Potato Roll Recipe


Here in the south we make potato rolls with sweet potatoes, I use to make this dough with regular white potatoes, either way its a great recipe and addition to any holiday meal!  Enjoy! 
Happy Thanksgiving to all!
1/4 cup warm water
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (omit if using white potatoes)
5 tablespoons butter
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (or white)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 egg, slightly beaten
5 to 7 cups sifted all-purpose flour
melted butter, parsley and garlic powder

In a measuring cup, combine warm water and yeast; stir to dissolve. Set aside. In a  small saucepan, scald milk; add sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter. Stir in butter until melted. Pour milk mixture over the mashed potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add lemon juice to the mixture then beat until smooth. Cool to lukewarm, then add egg and yeast mixture; blend well. Stir in 2 cups of the flour and blend with a heavy duty mixer  for about 1 minute, around 3 minutes for hand held. Add more flour to make a stiff dough.
Knead with industrial style mixer until smooth, or by hand. Place dough in a warm area cover with plastic film and towels over the top for no drafts. Let rise until double in size, around two hours. Punch down and knead once more,Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick and with a chefs scissors or sharp knife cut into squares or shape into rounds tucking the dough on both sides of the circles under. Place in parchment lined baking sheet and inch apart, cover, and let rise until double in size again. Bake rolls at 400° for approximately 20 minutes, they will be spread into each other. Brush tops with melted butter, sprinkle with a little garlic powder and parsley for garnish.

23 comments:

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, This is something I know would be delish! warm with butter. They look perfect.
Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend. Catherine xo

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

I've never had a sweet potato roll and boy, do I wish I had one right now! I hope you and your family have a great Thanksgiving. Enjoy all of your delicious food!
Best,
Gloria

Lenia said...

What a great recipe!Happy Thanksgiving,dear!

Big Dude said...

We've never made potato bread, but these sure do look and sound good. Have a great Thanksgiving.

Lizzy said...

Yum, those look perfect, Claudia...and I bet the sweet potatoes give a wonderful sweetness. Hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving~

Greg said...

Sweet potato rolls sound fantastic! I want turkey sandwiches served on them. I am going to have to make a batch tomorrow. Hope your turkey day was a great one.

Drick said...

Claudia, you know I am not a baker, but I do want to at least attempt your sweet potato rolls, and I hope they turn out as good as yours look... love the arrangement too, you know, the contrast of textures is really great... Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you are able to at least get a wink in, share a moment with family and enjoy the love around you... bless ya girl, wishing you the best and encouraging you every moment of your retail hell... I know...

anthony stemke said...

These are scrumptious rolls, great idea substituting sweet potatoes.

The Americaine said...

I will have to try these out next Turkey Day! They sound delish!

Kiri W. said...

These look delicious! Sweet potatoes are so wonderful for baking!

Reeni said...

Those are some gorgeous rolls Claudia! Hope you had a blessed Thanksgiving! xoxo

Clarion said...

Thank you! I have oodles of mashed sweet potatoes, and was hoping to make bread with it--thanks for sharing!

Curt said...

That's a very interesting flavor for a roll. I'll bet it's very tasty!

Stephanie said...

We always overlook the rolls on our Thanksgiving table, but these would not be missed! They look so yummy!

Professor Vegetable said...

Congratulations on the Top 9! Those rolls look divine. I've never heard of such a thing but I love bread and I love sweet potato so that's an awesome combination for me.

Happy Thanksgiving! It's belated.

:-)
Professor Vegetable

firefoodie said...

Wow, they look mighty pretty, and I bet they smell amazing. Congrats on your foodbuzz top 9!

twistedkitchen said...

Those look tasty.

Lo-mo said...

Love the colour on those rolls! the recipe is lovely. I will have to save this one for future use!s

Apples N Adrienne said...

This looks great! I'm always looking to try out new bread recipes. :)

Peggy said...

Now I know what to do with my sweet potatoes in the pantry! These rolls look perfect =)

JQR77 said...

This is a great recipe for sweet potatoes! These rolls look absolutely delicious.

Sara said...

They look divine. I just want to know how many rolls the recipe yield?

claudia lamascolo said...

@sara this made around 32 small rolls