Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Italian Style Broccoli Cheese Soup


6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
2 pounds fresh broccoli, stems and florets separated and chopped into bite-size pieces , chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon chopped parsley and fresh tarragon
6 1/2 cups chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1 cup whipping cream
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups (packed) grated Fontina Cheese, provolone, mozzarella cheese or a blend of all three

Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat saute garlic two minutes. Add broccoli stems. Add stock; bring to boil. Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in cream.

Mix remaining 3 tablespoons butter with flour in small bowl to make paste. Whisk paste into soup. Add broccoli florets except for 1 cup pulsed in food processor, add. Simmer until soup thickens and florets are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly, then refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Heat to a warm simmer then preheat  oven broiler. Place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet. Divide soup among bowls. Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over each. Broil until cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 minutes.  Serve buttered bread crumbs with garlic croutons.

21 comments:

Federica said...

I never thought of making a soup with broccoli. It looks a delicious idea., a perfect comfort food for these cold days. Bye, have a great week

Lenia said...

What a yummy and comforting dish!xxx

Greg said...

This sounds fantastic. I'll bet it is very rich and creamy with all that cheese and whipping cream.

Big Dude said...

While traveling, I've gotten way behind in blog reading, but these last three dishes all sound super good, especially the ziti.

Jennifer said...

Yum - my kind of soup, Claudia. :)

Drick said...

love the nutty buttery taste of fontina and in a soup, gonna love it even more - this looks and sounds so velvety good

Angie's Recipes said...

This is a really rich and delectable soup.

Joy said...

Hi! I found your blog through Shia's. This soup (and all your recipes) look delicous! Now I just need it to get cold in South Florida so I can enjoy it. :)

Lizzy said...

It looks fabulous, Claudia! I love to eat broccoli soup, I need to start making it!

Claudia said...

I love, love, love this soup. Will be doing this sans cream - maybe evaporated milk. I love the recipe - never think to saute garlic for it.

Reeni said...

So rich and delicious! One of my favorites - your version rocks!

Vicki Bensinger said...

I love broccoli cheese soup but with these three cheeses it's got to be deadly. Wow I can taste it now.

Curt said...

One of the great combos! Broccoli and cheese.

ARLENE said...

Fontina cheese...a big yes to this recipe.

redkathy said...

Three cheese combo, count me in! Beautiful blend of flavors in this soup Claudia.

**hugs**

Christine's Pantry said...

I love broccoli and cheese. This soup sounds good.

momdecuisine.net said...

I love that you used different kids of cheese other than the typical cheddar for your soup! I bet this would be a good way to get the kids to eat some broccoli!

Tina said...

This is more comforting than that brocolli/cheese side dish and I am sure that fontina is a much better choice than cheddar-delicious Claudia!

thesmartcookiecook.com said...

A fresh take on boring old broccoli cheese soup, I love it!

Kiri W. said...

That looks deliciously creamy and cheesy :) Great comfort dish!

Kelsey said...

I just bookmarked another broccoli & cheddar soup recipe, but this one beats it. I've never used provolone in my soup, but it's one of my favorite cheeses.