Grandma's Fresh Apple Lattice Pie

Tuesday, November 22, 2011


Cut the dough into even strips, 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide, depending on how thick you want your lattice strips. You can use a  knife with or without a ruler or straight edge to guide you, or you can use a pizza wheel.

1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup regular sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup water
8 Mcintosh, Cortland or Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced

Crust:
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoons salt mix together with flour
2/3 cups shortening cut into the flour then add
4 1/2 tablespoons ice water

Mix till dough forms a ball...Roll out on floured board to cut.
Melt butter in a sauce pan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add sugar, brown sugar and water; bring to a boil. Reduce temperature, and simmer 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, place the bottom crust in your pan. Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Cover with a lattice work crust. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
Bake 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for 35 to 45 minutes.

14 comments

  1. The crust on this pie looks so toasty and flaky! I love lattice pies because you get a tasty view of the goodness inside. Nothing like a traditional apple pie for Thanksgiving with a treasured recipe handed down from generations of your family. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie looks delicious and the lasagna below sounds absolutely awesome and a must try - I love all of the meat in it and so will Bev.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderfully perfect holiday dessert, Claudia!!! YUMMY!! Apple pie is one of my Fall favorites.
    I hope you and your family have a beautiful Thanksgiving holiday!

    xoxo,
    Tammy <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of must bake during the holiday season. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love the look of a lattice crust...and apple pie is one of my favorites! Mmmmmmmmm....have a great Thanksgiving, Claudia!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a flaky crust! (Not my specialty - am always entranced when I see yours). And such good-home goodness in the form of wonderful apples. I hope you have a stress-free Thanksgiving - enjoying food and family - I know you've got a busy month ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this looks so tasty! My wife keeps saying she's going to do a lattice crust, then ends up with the solid one again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a marvelous looking pie. I hope you and your family have a fantastic Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your apple pie is a beautiful sight! Flakey and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really a delicious pie Claudia! I can eat the image right now!

    Hope you'll not end exhausted on next days of intense work, the best of you :)

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Claudia, I just love apple pie. This looks great. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. My mother-in-law showed me her mom's lattice pie recipe - it was delicious, but I am so bad at baking "pretty"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This lovely apple pie is so similar to one I make for my boys. My eldest son is not really a dessert person (guess I was wasted on him in that respect), but he will accept anything with apples in it - especially apple pie! Gosh, busy time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia