Saturday, November 12, 2011

French Mini Pumpkin Breakfast Puffs



Here's what happens when you don't measure, I used too much pumpkin puree because I had leftovers from roasted pumpkin and didn't want to waste that tiny little bet left (around 1/4 cup more than the recipe called for) I lost that nice crown on top of these muffins you should get! I was very disappointed, but that just goes to show, measuring can be very important in some recipes!  Lucky for me they still tasted great, just a little heavier than usual but delicious! So much for them being puffs!
 Adapted from The Cilantropist  (I used more sugar as they were not sweet enough for us and more spices)
1 cup of pumpkin canned or 1 cup  Fresh pumpkin puree 
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice 
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup regular sugar 
1/2 cup  canola oil
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: add  1/2 cup raisins, chocolate chips or nuts

cinnamon and sugar mixed for the tops
melted butter to brush on top



Mix all the above ingredients until well combined, batter will be thick adding the optional items last.Preheat to 350 degree oven.  Heavilly spray each muffin tin or using mini tin paper liners. Bake till golden or centers are clean with a toothpick around 20 to 25 minutes.

 Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar while warm.

22 comments:

alison said...

i have to try this,sounds so delicious!

Lenia said...

Yummy,yummy,yummy!Have a great weekend,dear!

Angie's Recipes said...

Perfect breakfast!

Gina said...

Hi Claudia,
Baking is one of those things where careful measurement is usually necessary. Sometimes the fresh puree has more water too. But I love that you didn't want to waste it. You would have a wonderful time if you made it to the Festival and I'd be sure and make sure and say hi. Hope you have a great weekend.
-Gina-

janet@cupcakestocaviar said...

hi Claudia!

These sound great, even if they didn't get the nice top. I smile sitting here because I would have done the same thing with the little bit extra.
Buzzed!

Ruth Reynoso-Sance said...

They look delicious and so decadent! Yum :-)

Lizzy said...

As long as that top is covered with yummy cinnamon and sugar, I don't care what it looks like! These sound fabulous~

Elisabeth said...

Hope you make the Top 9 with these yummy muffins...already 96 buzz...buzzed you!

Free Spirit Eater said...

These look delicious! Love that their sugar coated, my kinda treat, yum! Thanks for sharing, have a good one =]

Ann said...

They may not be puffy, but they look incredible! Very nicely done!

Reeni said...

I tend to do the same thing when I'm baking! But these don't look bad at all - just the opposite - tempting and delicious!

(Lady Gourmet) Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, I know what you mean, I just hate to waste anything. I guess it was just the way my mom taught us. She would always say, "are you going to waste that?" So, I just can't waste anything. Anyway, I am sure that the taste of these little puffs are just delicious. These with a cup of tea would be perfect. Blessings my dear friend, Catherine xoxo

Cathy W said...

They look delicious anyway. I never learn...always just throwing stuff together. Sometimes it works. :)

thesmartcookiecook.com said...

Oh my god, these look so good! Pumpkin is my absolute favorite flavor, so already these little puffs are awesome. Plus with that cinnamon sugar, I can only imagine how tasty these must be!

healthyfoodietravels said...

That cinnamonsugar crust looks to die for! :) Gorgeous treat!

jensfreshandfabulous.com said...

I am a sucker for anything pumpkin and these look so good! Thinking I'd love one of these with a cup of coffee or hot apple cider.

Tina said...

I would love to have a few of these for breakfast. Since you did not like that they didn't puff but liked the flavor, I am sure everyone else agreed and they are now all gone! I would have gladly eaten a few.

Tina said...

Not sure if my comment went through so here it is again. These do look delicious! Even though they did not have a big puff like you wanted and had a great taste, these little gems probably disappeared pretty fast. I know I would have ate my share-yum!

Grubarazzi said...

perfect little bites to make when the family is all together soon. Thanks!

Sandra said...

Nicely done Claudia, I'd love to have one of these with my morning coffee.

Becky said...

Another yummy pumpkin recipe! I love the cinnamon sugar on the top.

Congrats on the Top 9 Today!

Magic of Spice said...

That is probably why I can't bake, lol. These sound fabulous never the less and taste trumps appearance every time :)