Friday, November 25, 2011

Caramel Apple Upsidedown Spice Cake Recipe

My son Chad decided that we were going to experiment with his favorite dessert flavors for the holidays. You may remember his Upstate NY Cannoli post..
So this is kind of a guest post, but a joint effort together. We had alot of fun making this one together and happy to say we got great results! He loves apples and spice cake so that was the inspiration. We had already made Banana Cream Pie, Chocolate Silk Pie and Pumpkin,
He wanted something with apples so here is what we came up with....
A caramel apple upside down spice cake... it was amazing! Easy to throw together and was a huge hit.
Cake
1 spice cake mix (we used duncan hines spice cake mix)
3 eggs
1 cup mayonaise
1 cup water

Caramel
1 stick butter
1/2 cup brown sugar

Upsidedown topping:
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 can apple pie filling

preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a 13x9 sheet pan place the stick of butter and brown sugar in the pan then into the oven to melt them together.
While the butter mixture it is making its own caramel in the oven, beat the cake mix, eggs, mayonaise and water in a mixer until thick and smooth.
Take out the pan when butter is all melted, stir mixture together. Spread out  the apple pie filling, sprinkle with cinnamon over the apples.  Pour the batter over the top of the apples and bake until the cake springs back and set in the center around 45 minutes.
After 5 minutes invert over a platter that fits the cake. Let cool. The cake holds up beautifully and doesn't stick to the pan. An amazing flavor, we were very happy with the results and diffinitely making it again! Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Lucky for us we had a beautiful sunny day out for Thanksgiving....
but didn't get to cut this one until dark... thanks for reading~


29 comments:

Federica said...

It's the first time I see a cake made ​​with mayonnaise. It's amazing, it looks delicious :) Bye, have a great week end

Lenia said...

Congratulations to both of you!This cake looks absolutely delicious!Have a lovely weekend,dear!

Drick said...

eggs & mayo means extra goodness.... love it - and love the spice cake with the caramel apples...

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, What a beautiful and comforting cake with a good cup of coffee after the hustle and bustle of the holiday. Blessings for a beautiful day my friend. Catherine xo

Joanne said...

Rave review! I bet this was a favorite.
Hope you enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

Claudia said...

I love caramel, apple cake, spice cake - pure genius to cull them together. This would be grand to come home to after your frazzled days oh holiday retail! Perfect!

Reeni said...

What a tempting cake Claudia! All that oozing caramel and the apples looks delicious!

Curt said...

Scrumptious! I love caramel apple.

Lizzy said...

Beautiful cake, Claudia! And I love the palm trees in your background :)

Roz said...

Claudia, what a perfect cake with all of that caramel dripping over the apples! And yes, gorgeous weather to be outside; I love the outdoor photo! I hope that your Thanksgiving was truly wonderful; I've missed you very much too! Big hugs and baci, Roz

Roz said...

Claudia, what a perfect cake with all of that caramel dripping over the apples! And yes, gorgeous weather to be outside; I love the outdoor photo! I hope that your Thanksgiving was truly wonderful; I've missed you very much too! Big hugs and baci, Roz

Melynda said...

Wow Claudia what a great cake! Thanks.

Sara said...

Oh my gosh, this looks amazing! I love caramel apples, so good! :)

Spoon and Chopsticks said...

Your upsidedown cake looks and sounds absolutely delicious.

--------------------------------
Regards
Spoon and Chopsticks
http://spoon-and-chopsticks.blogspot.com/

Kiri W. said...

Wow, that looks absolutely delicious. The caramel sauce oozes perfectly ;)

Becky said...

What a wonderful combination, caramel and apples in a cake. gorgeous pic, too. Hope that you get some time to rest.

Spicie Foodie said...

Claudia this looks fantastic. You guys did a great job. I've added this to my list of recipes to try.

Mother Rimmy said...

Your son and I would get along well. I adore spice cake and apples. Very nice picture too!

Ann said...

This is delicious! I can see why it was such a big hit!

momdecuisine.net said...

Oh that looks soooo good with the caramel dripping down the side!

Val said...

What a tempting dessert. I'm not surprised it was a hit. Sounds incredible :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

Nice "experiment" - seems like an absolute success!

Cucina49 said...

Ooh, that's pretty--anything with apples and caramel and spice looks good to me!

Vicki Bensinger said...

Your cake looks delightful! How fun and special to create a culinary masterpiece with your son. These are memories that last a lifetime.

Curry and Comfort said...

Caramel, Apples and Cake.. now that's what I call a winner. :)

Roxana GreenGirl {A little bit of everything} said...

Caramel and apples is an irresistible combo. your upside-down cake looks great Claudia!

Rob@FoodFigure said...

Looks fantastic! I love me some caramel apple anything! I'll be bookmarking this one for future use!

RavieNomNoms said...

This looks so good! I love upside down cakes. I think they are fun!

Cucina49 said...

I remember when you first posted this--it looked great then and the flavors are so appealing.