Angel Food Key Lime Cream Cake

Monday, October 3, 2011
I can't begin to tell you how refreshing this cake is. Everyone said, wow usually the pie is so sweet the angel food cake calms that down, I will definitely be making this one again. My boys all loved it! The cake is so light, the lime flavor just brings you to the tropics for a few moments if you don't live there, I will bet coconut will top the cake next time.



























Alton Browns Angel Food Cake Recipe Adapted

1 3/4 cups sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup cake flour, sifted

12 egg whites (the closer to room temperature the better)

1/3 cup warm water

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar


Directions


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a food processor spin sugar about 2 minutes until it is superfine. Sift half of the sugar with the salt the cake flour, setting the remaining sugar aside.


In a large bowl, use a balloon whisk to thoroughly combine egg whites, water, orange extract, and cream of tartar. After 2 minutes, switch to a hand mixer. Slowly sift the reserved sugar, beating continuously at medium speed. Once you have achieved medium peaks, sift enough of the flour mixture in to dust the top of the foam. Using a spatula fold in gently. Continue until all of the flour mixture is incorporated.

Carefully spoon mixture into an ungreased tube pan. Bake for 35 minutes before checking for doneness with a wooden skewer. (When inserted halfway between the inner and outer wall, the skewer should come out dry).

Cool upside down on cooling rack for at least an hour before removing from pan.




Key Lime Pudding Filling:

4 oz. sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest

2 large Eggs

4 oz. Key Lime juice

1/8 cup heavy cream

3 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk

1 tablespoon flour

2 tablespoons butter


Directions Place granulated sugar and lime zest in food processor. Pulse for one minute or until sugar is fragrant.


Heat double boiler and bring to a simmer. Add eggs and sugar and whisk until sugar is dissolved.


Slowly add key lime juice, heavy cream and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk constantly for about 7-10 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter until melted. Refrigerate two hours. I make this the night before.


Place cooled cake on a cutting board. Cut all along inner side of the the leaving to make the center hollow. Scoop out the cake. Fill with the pudding. Cover in whipped topping of choice.

I used heavy cream sweetened with confectionery sugar.

29 comments

  1. The ring shape filling of this cake is beautiful and very delicate. It's really an Angels cake, a taste of that soft cloud makes you feel in Heaven. Bye, have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like this type of cake.something I would serve on my cofee afternoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic! Great recipe. I have a bunch of lemons to use up, do you think it'll also work with lemons instead of key limes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This cake sounds awesome! I actually remember the episode where Alton Brown made the Angel Food Cake, I have almost every episode on DVD. Now I am going to have to watch this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the pudding filling. That always gives a cake that something extra!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks scrumptious! I have lot of key limes, this is the perfect way to use them. I will blame you for the extra pounds :)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Light, sweet and wondeful! Gorgeous cake, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks soo good. Can't wait to make it for my brother in law, Angel Food is his favorite. I always find it boring, but not in this form!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe must be absolutely fabulous. Alton Brown is the best show (Good Eats) on food television.
    Thabk You for sharing.

    Sh Sh Sh Let the Baby Sleep
    Trouble on Earth Day
    Author Kathy Stemke (my spouse)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband would love this--he is a key lime fanatic. Definitely will be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am really going to have to pull my baking skills out for this!! Sounds delishious :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the pairing of angel food cake with a key lime filling - you are so right - tropical, light and luscious. Your baking always inspires.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Key lime is one of my favorite flavors. i never thought of pairing it with Angel food Cake. Your cake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks nothing short of heavenly! Pass a piece this way, please!!?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks tasty. Was it difficult making the angel food cake? I haven't made one that i can remember but have heard they're hard. I like the addition of the key lime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love key lime! I'm so impressed that you made angel food cake. Baking is not my thing, so I've very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks ah-mazing!! I want the entire thing for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks fantastic!! My daddy would love this! He is a key lime pie freak!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks incredibly delicious! Claudia this is a great recipe, thanks so much for sharing! =]

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my dear Claudia, The words that I said when I saw this picture was,"oh my". This looks soooooooo good!!! I would love a piece. Your friend Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, Claudia! This looks so luscious and light! (which means I can eat more of it!) What a lovely cake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So gorgeous. Hm, coconut next time. My fave addition to any dessert. This is just so tempting. I'd be pulled right up to the counter before you even finished frosting it. Have a great week Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks great Claudia! Key lime is probably in my top three or so of favorite dessert flavors and I have always loved angel food cake so combining them is just Heaven in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Claudia - this looks delicious! I bet it's a light, refreshing dessert - and seconds sound perfect right about now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, this is a great idea! Combining two fabulously delicious desserts into one winning dish :) Buzzed!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is like summer re-visited. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This cake looks delicious, Claudia! I love how light and fluffy angel food cake is and with this key lime filling, it must taste even better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Claudia, my husband and I love, Florida, the Keys, a big Key Lime Pie, and NOW we will love this citrusy lime cake! Great job! Roz

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love keylime pie! I bet this is always a hit! yum!

    Since it's National Angel Food Cake Day, we're having an Angel Food Cake Link-Up Party and would love for you to add this to the link-up party! If You'd like to Come link-up with us, you can here: http://www.bigbearswife.com/2011/10/angel-food-cake-pumpkin-roll.html

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia