Thursday, September 22, 2011

Very Berry Lemon Scones

It's that cool nip in the air that brings scones to a new found appreciation, why not bake some to brighten up your day?
These are a wonderful flavor and addition to any household breakfast... give them a try you won't be sorry!


1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
1 cup fresh strawberries sliced then in half
1/2 cup light brown sugar
pinch of cinnamon
Zest of 1  lemon
2 1/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk

Extra flour
White sugar, for topping

Heat the oven to 350 and prepare two baking sheets by lining with parchment or lightly spraying with spray oil.
Slice the strawberries into small half slices either by hand set aside. Wash blackberries pat dry and set aside. In a bowl or food processor mix all dry ingredients then add chilled cut up butter into the dry ingredients, add brown sugar and lemon zest into the food processor or bowl and mix until fine and crumbly. Stir in the beaten egg and milk. Fold in fruits.

Sprinkle the counter or a board with flour, and dump the dough out on it. It will be very wet and sticky. Mound a rectagular mound around an inch high and cut into desired shapes using any cookie cutter round.

 Sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Bake for about 25 minutes or until just getting golden. While warm drizzle with a mixture of confectionary sugar and leftover juice from the lemon to make a very thick glaze. Drizzle over the top of warm scones. Serve warm.

25 comments:

Federica said...

It's great! I'd like to have some for breakfast now ^__^ Bye, have a good day

Foodness Gracious said...

I love me some scones with my coffee, I'm old school and these look super nice.
Take care..

Dzoli said...

Great idea to enchant this good old favourite;))

Greg said...

When 4 of the first 5 ingredients are fruit and cinnamon you have my attention. These sound delicious.

Curt said...

Ever since my trip to England, I love scones. I'll bet the lemon flavor is great in them.

Dee at Deelicious Sweets said...

These look so good. Such a bright and colorful scone. All of those berries look fabulous!

Pretend Chef said...

These sound so delicious and packed with amazing flavors. I really enjoy scones.

redkathy said...

Hi Claudia,

I'm gonna make these this weekend. Your savory cheddar scones where fabulous!

Spicie Foodie said...

Hi Claudia,
Oh boy are we feeling a little nip in the air. It may be a long and cold winter this year. But what a great way to start of the morning with a warm scone like this one. Yum! Thanks for sharing:)

Free Spirit Eater said...

These look sooo good! Claudia is there anything you make that DOESN'T make my stomach growl lol ::hugs:: =]

Kath said...

Those are really beautiful scones! I love the drizzle of glaze on the top.

Vicki Bensinger said...

These look great. I have so many berries left from my tv gig that I've been trying to figure out what to make with them. Scone, coffee cake and muffins are my choices. So exhausted all day I guess I will make one of them tomorrow.

Ann said...

Claudia these look delicious! I love lemon in scones....thanks!

Sandra said...

I am so in the mood for a scone right about now.

Reeni said...

My favorite breakfast treats! Delectable.

Becky said...

Your scones are gorgeous, and I'm sure that they taste as good as they look. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer said...

Beautifully done!

Tina said...

Ah-this post does have me drooling, Claudia. Who can resist a toasty scone bulging with fruit?! Well done-buzz buzz.

Lizzy said...

Oh, these look both beautiful and delicious! Great way to start out the day~

Laurel @ Lolly's Sweet Treats said...

These scones would be perfect with my coffee right now. Yum!

Sandi said...

Agree. JUST beautiful!

Joanne said...

That looks like a scone recipe I'd love.

Lana @ Never Enough Thyme said...

I really enjoy a good scone especially with a little sugar glaze on top! Delicious!

the food dude said...

this looks good!

Charlene said...

These look so good, I had to share them on reddit!