Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Upstate NY Style Shrimp Margarita Pizza with Fresh Pizza Dough Recipe


One of my favorite all time pizza's is Margarita Pizza this was my mom's dough recipe,  with our favorite topping! Her name was Margaret, coincidence?  I see online some use a "H" in Margarita, sounded more like a Mexican name for an Italian Pizza.... either way I am ok with it ...(smile)
So this one's for you Margaret, where ever you are up there... Love you always~ RIP
Easy to make, nothing like homemade dough, especially if you use a heavy duty mixer... I cheat!  Mom use to do everything by hand, it amazed me how light and perfect her dough was... nothing ever comes out quite like she made it.. She would have loved these toppings, shrimp was her favorite too... But you can put whatever you like on it... the original way is just fresh tomatoes and fresh basil...
Pizza Dough


4 1/2 cups bread flour or all purpose flour
1 package dry yeast dissolved in 2 cups luke warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons olive oil

12 shrimps cleaned, deveined with  tails off or more if you like
2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons melted butter
olive oil
2 beefsteak tomatoes thinly sliced
fresh basil leaves
oregano, salt, pepper
grating cheese

Mix all ingredients in large mixer with dough hook, mix until dough forms a ball, knead until smooth and elastic, add more flour if dough is sticky, this should not be dry but a firm ball. Rise in a bowl covered with a wet towel, until doubled in size in warm spot, away from draft....    Stretch dough out on a lightly greased pan, brush top of dough with olive oil. Brush with butter, add garlic, oregano. Top with mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, shrimps on top then basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle top with grating cheese and more dried oregano.
  Bake on 430 degree oven till browned on top. Around 25 minutes or more depending on how crispy you like it.



Add the fresh basil after it's cooked so much more flavorful, it won't be black from cooking~


Mom and me. This was her favorite singer, Dean Martin (above) a funny clip from the Classic Movie,  "The Caddy" That'sa Amore'
                                                                             

25 comments:

Sandra said...

I got to agree nothing like mom's cooking:)) Your pizza Claudia look divine, it is also one of my favorites..I am getting hungry now:))

Dzoli said...

One of my favourite is also Pizza Margarita.In all its simplicity it is everything you can need on pizza.And with home made dough even better;)

Roz from 'la bella vita' said...

Claudia,

On my way home from the office today, I was dreaming of homemade pizza. But alas, we needed to use up some left-overs in the frig. I love home made pizza dough. My family's restaurant recipe is for the hundreds and so I need this recipe for just us! Thanks so much! There's just nothing like pizza, huh?

Federica said...

I could never give up the pizza. "Margherita" is my favorite but yours with shrimps is really very tempting. Great ^__^
Bye, have a good day

Su said...

Fabulous pizza :D I have to make this one for sure.

Pretend Chef said...

Fabulous pizza recipe and great memories. I want to make this today for lunch. Sounds amazing. Yummy!

Lizzy said...

I LOVE that photo of you and your mom...what a treasure. And your pizza looks darn tasty! Have a wonderful day, Claudia~

Big Dude said...

We've latched onto Margarita Pizza, probably because we like the ease of construction and use of fresh tomatoes and basil. The shrimp brings a nice addition to the mix. Thanks for the dough recipe

Kelly said...

Claudia, this looks absolutely delicious - our family loves pizza so it's just a matter of pacing ourselves :0 this is a keeper!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I love pizza!! The shrimp is a great addition. Fresh slices of tomatoes is awesome as well, such a fresh flavor and perfectly replaces sauce IMO :) Great pizza!!

Beloved Green said...

Margarita pizza is a fav of mine too. My mom would love the shrimp addition.

Kate@Diethood said...

Excellent recipe! I love margherita pizza!!

anthony stemke said...

I love pizza margherita, named after the queen of Naples, and make it weekly. I have so many tomatoes growing right now, I made a quart of sauce. For the first time last week I used just the sliced tomatoes. Your dough recipe is similar to mine, I use less sugar and more salt. But never used shrimp on pizza. My BW (the tipster) loves shrimp (we had shrimp salad with citrus fruits and pasta tonight)so I'm going to give this a go. May Margaret rest in peace.

Elisabeth said...

Claudia-you had me "tears" with the That's Amore...my parents favorite!
They loved Dean Martin, and the famous song, and so do I!...also now, my children, and little grandchildren!
Your pizza brings back a lot of fond memories! Super delicious, and I love, love, your recipe!
I appreciate that you share so much of your mom's recipes:DDD
xoxo

Curt said...

I could live on pizza if my body would allow such a thing!

Greg said...

Pizza Margarita is my favorite pizza especially when the tomatoes are fresh. In fact, Annette and I actually had Pizza Margarita tonight. I love that you added shrimp.

Ann said...

There is nothing like homemade crust - and mom! Beautiful post.

Peggy said...

Nothing beats mom's home cooking! And I bet your mom would have really loved this =) And love your dough recipe too!

alana said...

That looks so good,whew!

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny said...

This pizza looks fantastic!!!

Sandra said...

Mom's know how to make memories and your Mom surely did. Great pizza.

Erin said...

Such a pretty pizza! Love margarita pizza, and i like the addition of shrimp to it!

janet@cupcakestocaviar said...

I absolutely LOVE Margarita Pizza and I think I drooled all over my keyboard when I saw this had shrimp on it as well. Soooo have to try this. Buzzed!

Also love Dean martin. His songs make me think of my dad. :-)

Five Finicky Eaters said...

Fabulous picture of you and your mother. If my kids could eat pizza every night they would. Their favorite is Margarita pizza of course. Thanks for sharing such a happy memory.

http://fivefinickyeaters.blogspot.com

Magic of Spice said...

Gorgeous pizza! Love your mom's crust recipe, it looks perfect :)