Friday, August 19, 2011

Chocolate on Chocolate Boston Cream Pie with Rum Ganache Glaze

Today I had to make something special for the love of my life as we are celebrating our 11th wedding anniversary. The best 11 years of my life, my best friend, my equal, my love is forever lasting.
 It's so unusual to have four straight stormy days here in Florida. I was so hoping for a clear day. I started out with cutting the cake in half wrong, so I made another one. Then I made a huge mess, so  I will give you some tips about melting chocolate into hot heavy cream. Then when it rains it pours is the expression?  Well it started pouring when I took this shot, so if you see bubbles or raindrops on this cake it won't surprise me!  The good news is this one tasted just as I thought it would, decadent.
 It wasn't the best looking cake  and it had it's ups and downs today, but in the end it's like a great  marriage with imperfections. As long as there are more ups than downs, as life has it, 
 well then we have the perfect recipe with both! I am truly blessed...




This was the second mishap uneven cuts!
 The phone rang, someone was at the door and then the roof was leaking ugh! So of course not paying attention to time and getting preoccupied by everything,  I over beat the batter. So the cakes cracked! 
 I just thought the heck with it, that will be on the bottom of the dish anyway, so don't tell anyone our secret!




Using cocoa powder on the bottom of a greased pan looks so much better on chocolate cakes!

 

Chocolate Cake
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon pure vanilla

Beat all ingredients on low for 2 minutes. Pour in prepared greased round  pans dusted with cocoa powder  ( I make two of this recipe).
Bake at 350 degree oven fo 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Prepare filling while baking.

Chocolate Pudding Filling:  Adapted  from the Barefoot Contessa
 
6 extra-large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons very good cocoa powder
Pinch salt
2 cups milk
1-ounce very good semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons heavy cream

Directions

Beat the egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and thick in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on medium-high speed. On low speed, add the cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt. Bring the milk to a boil in a medium saucepan and, with the mixer on low, slowly pour the hot milk into the chocolate mixture. Combine well, then pour the mixture back into the pan.
Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or wooden spoon, until thickened. If the mixture begins to curdle, remove it from the heat and beat it vigorously with a wire whisk. Remove the pan from the heat, add the chocolate, butter, vanilla, and heavy cream and mix until the chocolate and butter are melted.

Topping:  Chocolate Ganache
 
1 cup good grade bitter sweet chocolate run through a food processor
1 cup heavy cream



  • Place chocolate in medium glass bowl.  in a small pan heat cream bringing to a boil.( TIP: Watch closing as you add the chocolate the cream can spill over if not a deep enough bowl. )When the cream begins to boil, pour in the chopped chocolate, whisk till smooth. Stir in rum.  Cool slightly. Start in center of cake pouring over the top working outward.


  • Assembly:
    After the cake is cooled but still slightly warm, slice the cake in equal halves. Carefully spoon pudding on the cake, place second layer on top of that. Pour ganache over the the top layer. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.


    Unfortunately for me, hubby had to work late and as I said earlier I'm on vacation this week. He has just started a new job so there was no way to get the day off.

     I had a nice afternoon with my son and his girlfriend. We had some lunch, watched a movie. My son set up our new dvd player I bought for an anniversary present for my hubby. When they left I went to get everything for dinner knowing we would really celebrate tomorrow  night since he is off.

    We had an awesome evening even though it was late. I cooked filet mignon on the grill, some crab legs, baked potato, a toast of Cabernet. After looking at our wedding photo's 11 years ago we talked about how fast the time flew by and  after digesting a little, we had our dessert.  It really was the perfect ending to our dinner and now for some quiet alone time... cheers

      thanks for reading~
    +claudia lamascolo  Author
    Post a Comment