Thursday, August 18, 2011

Baked Italian Stuffed Zucchini Squash Recipe


1 lb of ground lamb, hamburger or turkey
2 cup of raw quick cooking rice
2 cloves of fresh minced garlic
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon allspice
cayenne pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dry basil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 whole fresh basil leaf chopped
1 sprig fresh oregano chopped
2 sprigs of fresh mint  chopped
1 can tomato paste
1 pound of fresh tomatoes put through food processor skins and all
water
red wine
8 large or 10 small assorted colored zucchini  dark green, yellow or green squash ... if your lucky enough to cultivate Kusa's from seeds those are the best of both squash to use!

Mix rice, lamb, 1 tablespoon of tomato paste and all spices except fresh garlic together in a medium size bowl.  Set aside in the refrigerator.

In the meantime, slice zucchini in halves this usually makes sixteen halves.
Scoop out all the insides with a spoon and put aside for another treat Zucchini Coconut Bread.

Take the lamb mixture and press tightly into hollowed out zucchini.

 Pour into a dutch oven saucepan 1 cup of burgundy wine, tomatoes and rest of paste. Place zucchini on top and stack . Add water to cover half way up the pan. Add garlic cloves in the tomato-water mixture, 1 fresh basil leaf and salt, pepper to taste.

Place in a dutch oven pan that has a tight fitting lid in the oven at 350 degrees until the rice and zucchini is tender takes around an hour and half to cook. Once the fork goes through the squash it's done.

Here's a crockpot recipe for stuffed squash:  Crockpot Stuffed Squash

Want desserts using that leftover zucchini? Try these recipes :  Zucchini Coconut Bread, Chocolate Zucchini Bread, Prize Winning  Cranberry Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

34 comments:

MaryMoh said...

Mmmm...love that...all in one pot. Looks very delicious.

Federica said...

This is good dear. I love stuffed zucchini and yours are very rich and appetizing. Bye, have a great day

Dzoli said...

Love it.Filled zuccini and would do it with lamb:)

Lizzy said...

Oh, I love stuffed zucchini! I used to wing a recipe when I was single...and you've reminded me of how much I loved this!

Greg said...

This was the first year we planted zucchini but not a single one has grown. Lots of blossoms though. Might have to give this a try.

Ellie said...

Another great way to use my garden zucchini!! I ususally stuff with bread stuffing, but this sounds fantastic with the wine and the lamb. YUM :)

StephenC said...

This would be a lot easier if one made the stuffed zucchini and the rice separately - and it would taste just as good.

Erin said...

Sounds great! I never liked my Czech heritage when it came to food - stuffed cabbage has never been appetizing! (I love being Czech just not so much the stuffed cabbage part.) But my smidge of an Italian food heritage - yes please!

Claudia said...

All in a Dutch Oven - fabulous! I love all the herbs used - it truly makes it summer. And yet it's hearty enough for a meal.

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this looks delicious! thank you for sharing this. i know my husband would love this!

Curt said...

Sounds very appetizing. A great mix of ingredients.

Shia said...

I love how you make everything look so yummy and easy to make =)

Mary said...

This looks and sounds delicious. Your boats are a great way to use summer's bounty. I know my family would love these. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Amy J. and Tiffanie A. said...

YUMMY! I am not a zucchini fan but do you think this would work with eggplant??

Kate@Diethood said...

This is yet another of your meals that I must try. It just sounds so freakin' good!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, This is something I love. It is just real good!! I love it. Have a great night. Blessings, Catherine xo

Pam said...

Excellent, Claudia! The flavors have to be awesome! Like your flag too!

5 Star Foodie said...

Super delicious with lamb and all the spices and herbs!

anthony stemke said...

This is a good one for sure.
Thank You.

Beloved Green said...

I am loving all of the zucchini recipes I have been seeing this week. This is really a fantastic way to get a lot of this summer squash.

Gina said...

Hi Claudia,
This is the first time I've seen burgandy wine called for. My mom uses it all the time in her cooking. I was looking for a new use for zucchini, getting tired of my same ole, same ole. Hope you have a great weekend.
-Gina-

Not Your Ordinary Agent said...

nice! another use for zucchini!! love it!
http://www.homesandbabies.com
http://notyourordinaryrecipes.blogspot.com

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

Claudia,
This is a great post. I needed a step by step how to make stuffed zucchini.

Georgia Pellegrini said...

Perfect for this time of year when there is SO much extra zucchini in the garden!

Suzi said...

Looked at all your zucchini recipes they look great. Will have to try some of them, lots of zucchini still available here in Central Fl. Have a great weekend.

Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny said...

Yummy this looks fantastic, love this recipe! :)

Erin said...

Never considered stuffing zucchini before, but why not! Looks wonderful!

Ann said...

Claudia this looks absolutely amazing! What a clever, tasty dish! I would have to omit the allspice, but I think we'd be okay....

Jennifer said...

Love making zucchini boats. Great recipe by the way!

Claire @ The Realistic Nutritionist said...

I love zucchini, I use it all the time, I've just NEVER stuffed them before. What a great way to serve it!

Cassie @ Bake Your Day said...

I have never cooked with lamb before but this sounds so good. I love your zucchini boats!

Food for Hunters said...

Wow! Great idea. I'm sure it would taste good with ground venison...

Cucina49 said...

Ooh, this looks good. I'm doing a similar kind of dish with eggplant tonight.

All-American Vegetarian said...

This looks delicious!!!
~Rebecca