Thursday, June 2, 2011

Italian Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole




2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup milk
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cayenne pepper
salt to taste
8 ounces rotini pasta
2 cups frozen or fresh broccoli florets cooked in microwave for 7 minutes
3 cups skinned and boned cooked chicken, torn into large pieces
1/2 cup sharp shredded cheddar

Topping
1 cup  butter style crackers like( ritz or club) crackers crushed fine mixed  with 2 tablespoons of melted butter  and 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, mix and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan; stir in the flour until well blended. Gradually stir in the half and half add broth and cook, stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture is smooth and comes to a boil, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of the mozzarella and cheddar then add  1/4 cup of the Parmesan; remove from heat. Cook the pasta according to package directions for al dente or about 10 minutes.


 Preheat the oven to 350 F. Combine the pasta, broccoli, cheese sauce and chicken; spread in a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle the surface with the remaining mozzarella and Parmesan.  Top with cracker crumbs, cover with foil. Bake until top is golden and mixture is bubbly, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.


22 comments:

Melynda said...

Oh Claudia, this sounds so good! I am always on the look out for dishes to use up the second half of that roasted bird! Thanks.

StephenC said...

This is so 1950's. You really need to bring this into the modern era.

CoutureChick said...

Wow this looks good. I'mn going to try this out tonight

Raquel.Erecipe said...

I hope I will not gain an inch if I eat this delicious casserole

Kate@Diethood said...

That has got to be so delicious!! This should be dinner!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels said...

Oh wow this look soooo good and comforting! :) Love it!

Parsley Sage said...

Ooh! That's a mouthwateringly good looking dish :) Very nice!

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks fabulous delicious

Kathleen said...

This looks like the perfect comfort food!!! Love it!!!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Cheesy, breezy, beautiful. (Sorry, couldn't help myself, lost in that photo).

Mary said...

This is a gorgeous pasta dish. A perfect meal in one. I wager this tastes as good as it looks. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Claudia said...

Three kinds of cheese! A Cheesemonger would approve. This is definitely my sort of dish. Some lean protein and green vegetable doesn't hurt! I could stare at this for hours... but gobble it in a minute.

Hannah said...

Hello! I'm from Philippines! I just started blogging about food. Please follow me and I'll follow you too! :) http://eaternalfeast.blogspot.com

Foodness Gracious said...

Cheesemazing!! This looks great and Im pretty sure I could eat the whole lot..

MM said...

Well...yum!
What I want to know is how did you get a casserole to look so good in a photo?! Casseroles always seem to be the worst for me. Nice job!

Tammy said...

That looks mouthwatering yummy, Claudia! :)
I would love, love, love a helping! YUM!

xx,
Tammy

ExJW33 said...

Oh this looks sooooo good! Great recipe. Hi, I'm here from the foodie blog hop and your newest follower. Hope you'll come visit and follow me too. I'm a dessert foodie. Thanks!

Lizzy said...

Claudia!!! I was so excited to see you could post on my blog. Did me changing the sign in options help?

And I had to laugh at your comment on my Mounds Bars recipe...I did exactly the same thing as a kid...tossed the almond. I liked the milk chocolate of the Almond Joy better than the dark chocolate of the Mounds :)

And on to your latest recipe! This is comfort food at its best...so creamy and delicious! And those cracker crumbs on top look divine!

Trix said...

This is totally comfort food from my youth, such good memories!! xoxo

Magic of Spice said...

Definitely comfort food...the guys would love this around here :) Oh course you mention cheese and they will be on your doorstep :)

Kelsey said...

adding chicken is a great way to turn a side dish into the main attraction. This looks yummy :) I have all the ingredients for this minus the broccoli so I might have to go pick some up and try this out.

Spicie Foodie said...

Oh Claudia this looks like cheesy heaven to me! I would so love a giant serving. Thanks for sharing and making my mouth water :)