Sunday, May 15, 2011

Shrimp, Arugula, Tomato Calzone


Fontina cheese, fresh grated parmesan, fresh spinach, tomatoes and shrimp a fantastic combination all tucked inside this homemade dough!
A great blend of flavors, one we make often. If you loves greens use whatever kind you like. We have used escarole, spinach and swiss chard. All worked very good with the fillings. Growing up when we would add many different different ingredients to the filling, it would be called a dirty roll instead of Calzone. There are many different combinations that would also make this a dirty roll my Aunt would call that to a sausage roll that had many other ingredients added to it. I always found that funny to hear, it would be referred to many times when you would go off the normal recipe with different ingredients. So here is the Shrimp version of our dirty roll~

3 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3  Roma tomatoes, chopped or grape tomatoes  ( about 1 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup white wine or
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken stock
3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves
2 packed cups arugula, chopped spinach or other greens you may like
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley and cayenne pepper
tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shredded fontina cheese or mozzarella

1 pound of homemade pizza dough or store bought
Parmesan cheese
Egg wash
1 beat egg with
1 teaspoon water

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Filling: In a medium skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add the and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 1 minutes. Season the shrimp with herbs and spices, to taste, and add them to the skillet. Cook  aonther minute. Remove the shrimp . Set aside.
In the same skillet, add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook over medium-high heat until the tomatoes start to soften, about 4 minutes. Turn the heat to high. Add the wine and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2 minutes or more until most of the liquid has evaporated. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the tarragon, arugula, and shrimp.
Cool, place mixture down the center of the rolled out dough, (12x14) sprinkle shredded fontina cheese sprinkle on top with 2 tablespoons grated parmensan cheese evenly over the shrimp mixture.
Fold over crimp edges with fork tines and seal with egg wash. Bake till golden brown.

41 comments:

Eugenia said...

WOW this looks amazing, especially since I've been on a low carb diet and have not had bread in forever!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

I never tried this combination for a calzone and definitively worth to try - love fontina more shrimp :)

Cheers,

Gera

Kelsey said...

that looks divine! I might make those this week, I have to get shrimp for another dish anyway.

Federica said...

This is absolutely amazing, with a rich and very tasty mix of ingredients. I love it. Bye, have a great Sunday

Patti said...

This sounds and looks great Claudia. I love the combination!

Parsley Sage said...

Calzone! And shrimp! Woo hoo, sounds delicious :)

Claudia said...

It's light enough for spring but substantial enough for our chilly spring! Great combinatioon!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love the golden color of your calzone. It look fabulous!

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks like loaded with flavours and it looks mouthwatering too.

Greg said...

Do you know a good dentist? I just chipped my tooth trying to take a bite of that first photo. Tis sounds delicious as usual.

Melynda said...

What a great combination of flavors and fresh idea for Calzone. Thanks Claudia.

shopannies said...

oh my what a tasty treat come over and visit me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com to see what I shared

Stephen said...

This looks really good. The shrimp and cheese are making my mouth water.

Dulce Dough said...

Looks so yummy! What a great combination of flavors!

Barbara F. said...

Che squisita! Yum.........xo,

Lizzy said...

Your top photo is SO enticing, Claudia! I wish this was going to be my dinner tonight...so delicious!

Scribbler said...

This looks incredible -- I think my husband is going to love it.

Big Dude said...

I'm adding another WOW - it looks magnificent.

Trix said...

I have never had this in a calzone, it's a really inventive combination!

''Cucina di Barbara'' said...

Mmmmhhh I am a big fan of calzone, pizza, focaccia & CO.
Have a nice evening! Barbaraxx

Victoria said...

I never would think to put shrimp in a calzone, but all of these flavors look so incredible together!! And look at that golden crust, man, it looks so good!!

ARLENE said...

What a wonderful combination. It looks so delicious in your photo I almost feel I can take a bite.

chefpandita.com said...

This looks and sounds amazing, Claudia. Great combination of flavors :)

Belinda @zomppa said...

You always know how to make me hungry. Never fails.

5 Star Foodie said...

A really awesome calzone, love the shrimp here!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This looks awesome! I wouldn't have thought to use shrimp, thanks!

Carolyn said...

Oh wow, fantastic clazone, just stuffed with goodies.

Suzi - Cooking's Good said...

Ahh, this looks delicious. I love coming to your site. Such good things to eat!

MM said...

Wow, does this look good! That first photo just pulled me right in.

Deepthidigvijay said...

looking great...
another great way to have shrimp...
ThnX for posting
Do stop at my blog when u find time and be my follower if u would like to
Deepthi
http://deepthidigvijay.blogspot.com/

Drick said...

how did I miss this, love it, wish I had it now during cocktail hour(s)

Sandra said...

Love Calzones, you've put together a pretty yummy recipe!

Rico said...

the biggest and best calzone I ever saw...absolutly fantastic flavours and presentation...love it .... send us a piece.

Rico-Tried and Tested Recipes

My Little Space said...

And this is definitely something I wouldn't want to miss! Hmmm... truly seducing.
have a great day, dear.
Kristy

Rochelle said...

I love the oozing that the filling is doing in that first photo, it's making me drool a little and I want to get to the store to get some shrimp and hurry home to make this myself :D

Jay said...

yum...wat a delicious try with an awesome result..love d clicks..
http://pegasuslegend-Tasty Appetite
Event: Letz Relishh Ice Creams

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! This calzone looks amazing! I want a big bite right now! I'm new to your blog and i'm your newest follower! :)

Amy
http://utry.it

Magic of Spice said...

What a beautiful idea for a calzone filling...love it! I have not had a calzone in awhile now but this combination is making it an need to :)

Sandra said...

That's a good choice for a filling and love that homemade dough!

Patsyk said...

I love the variety of ingredients that you added - makes me want one for lunch today!

Lizzy said...

Oh, gosh, this looks amazing, Claudia!!! Especially with that melted cheese on top...swooning~