Sunday, May 29, 2011

Fruit Buckwheat Pancakes


          A warm sauce for pancakes made from fresh fruits adds the perfect ending
    Pancake Batter:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup whole-ground buckwheat flour, sifted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
  •  (1/2 stick) unsalted butter,( melted 4 tablespooons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  Cooking spray
  • 2 cups fresh strawberries, cherries,  raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or a mixture of each
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon maple flavoring or vanilla optional
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat an oven to 200°F.

In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs on medium speed until frothy. Add both flours,  3 tablespoons of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, butter and vanilla and stir just until smooth.

Heat a griddle over medium-high heat. Lightly grease the griddle with oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray. Using a batter dispenser, dispense the batter onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles form on top of the pancakes and the batter is set, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining pancakes.

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the fruits or fruits, the remaining 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 cup water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Simmer. Stir in cornstarch one tablespoon water and lemon juice in a small cup or bowl. Add to the fruit of choice and stir until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Add maple flavoring.  Serve the warm fruit sauce over the pancakes.

Memorial Day Pictures, Graphics, Images, Comments
 Have a Safe Memorial Day

31 comments:

Melynda said...

What a great breakfast, Claudia. The fruit topping is the kicker! Thanks.

Big Dude said...

I grew up in an area of Northern WV where buckwheat cakes are very popular, including a Buckwheat Festival and I've always loved them. My MIL made them several times a week from a starter she'd kept going for years. Your shot makes we want to go whip up a batch right - I believe I have some flour in the freezer.

My Little Space said...

Happy Weekend, Claudia. Your pancake looks terrific for my Sunday breaklfast. Yum... Hope you're having a great time.
Blessings, Kristy

Belinda @zomppa said...

A good morning to you!! =) Nice way to wake up.

Suzanne said...

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!!! You are giving me some idea!!!

Federica said...

What a wonderful breakfast dear! Your pancakes are so beautiful with the fruit topping that looks like a small picture. Bye, have a great Sunday

SashaInTheKitchen said...

Yum! That looks terrific - perfect breakfast!

SashaInTheKitchen said...

Yum! Perfect breakfast!

hmariek said...

Buckwheat is SUCH an amazing grain, and perfect for pancakes. Yours look super appetizing with all that fresh fruit. That's a good way to wake up!

Parsley Sage said...

Beautiful breakfast! Want :)

Stephen said...

I was thinking about breakfast but thought that a quick review of my various foodie friends should be first. Tehn I saw those buckwheat pancakes - I am so hungery right now.

''Cucina di Barbara'' said...

THis is the king's breakfast!
Absolutely perfect!
Have a nice day! Barbaraxx

Ruth said...

Sounds like the perfect sauce to bring the sweetness of the fruit out. And the pancakes sheer perfection too. Making me really hungry!

Claudia said...

I cannot think of a better way to start the day - hearty but with sweet berries for contrast.

Sandra said...

What a fantastic presentation..perfect to wake up to! I love the recipe and your photo is beautiful!!!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Your pancakes are so festive!

Catherine said...

Dear Claudia, Great start or finish to any day. Blessings, Catherine xo

Lenia said...

What a fantastic way to start your day!I just love your recipe!

Rachel said...

This looks great. I've been looking for a recipe that uses buckwheat flour!

chefpandita.com said...

Lovely pancakes! Happy Memorial day, Claudia :)

Greg said...

I suggested to my wife that we have pancakes with fruit this morning, before I saw this, and she said no I want French toast. THen she saw me looking at this and she said that looks good. Go figure!

Mary said...

What a wonderful way to start the day. These look amazingly delicious. My family will love them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmmm....this looks like a fantastic breakfast, Claudia! I'd love to start my day with that gorgeous plate of pancakes :)

Erin said...

Perfect breakfast! The plate is beautiful as well! Love all the different fruits!

briarrose said...

Yummy....and all that fresh fruit would make me feel less guilty for having a huge stack. :)

Sandra said...

The fruit makes it healthy right?

Torviewtoronto said...

healthy looking pancakes

Big BOys Oven said...

I just love pancakes, I can eat them by layers! :)

Spicie Foodie said...

Oh Claudia these are my kind of pancakes. I love all the fresh fruit, so healthy and seasonal. Thanks for sharing!

Magic of Spice said...

These look wonderful Claudia and would be perfect for Sunday brunch :)

Shelby said...

These look yummy Claudia! You know we are pancake eaters here!