Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Easter Bread Savory Breakfast Strata With Escarole, Sausage, Ham and Cheeses Recipe

A special Italian breakfast for Easter... we love greens, roasted peppers and sausage.. here is a wonderful style Italian quiche... perfect for starters, brunch, breakfast or just because you love it!



This is the our  perfect Easter morning breakfast cooking all in one casserole!
 


At the end add the cheeses and continue baking 15 to 20 more minutes till either cheese is melted or browned it's your preference~
 

Everything in one casserole, ham, escarole, sausage in an Italian bread pudding!
 

Egg mixture:
4 large egg whites
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons butter melted
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, oregano, basil and a pinch of cayenne
1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Bread and filling:
4 cups (4-6 slices) Italian Bread,  cut into 1-inch cubes
3 cups chopped boiled escarole or chopped spinach, (drained and pat dry if using frozen)
1/2 cup chopped  roasted red peppers
1/2 cup diced ham, I ususally use leftover spiral ham, or a Ham steak
1/2 cup cooked Italian sausage cut into small pieces
cooking spray oil

Topping:
3/4 cup shredded  Mozzarella  or Gruyere cheese
1/4 cup  Romano grating cheese
Butter
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degree oven. Coat a glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with melted butter and lightly sprayed with cooking oil.

 To prepare the egg style quiche, whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add mustard, pepper and herbs and whisk to combine.
Toss bread, escarole or spinach, roasted red peppers, sausage and ham in a large bowl. Add the egg mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to the prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
 Bake until the bread pudding mixture until it is  set, 50 minutes to an hour. Uncover, sprinkle with cheeses, drizzle with melted butter around a tablespoon. Sprinkle with a little more parsley and continue baking until the pudding is puffed and golden on top, 15-20 minutes more or bake until the cheese is to your liking in color.

38 comments:

The Lucky Wife @ The Saturday Evening Pot said...

YUM! Sounds soo good. Always love finding new breakfast recipes to try!

chefpandita.com said...

Oh this looks so good, Claudia!

Mehjabeen Arif said...

Hmm.. Smells so good.. Love the presentation..

Federica said...

What a rich pie! I like this ingredients mix very much. It's also a tasty way to use leftover bread. Bye, have a great week

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...

What time did you say again that I should be at your house for this on Easter Sunday??? ;)
Seriously, this looks SO GOOD. I copied the recipe. This would be wonderful for a 'company' - for a breakfast or brunch; I am going to keep it in my file. Thanks, as usual, for sharing with us!!
Best,
Gloria

Big Dude said...

Oh my but this do looki good.

Patti said...

I really like this one Claudia! I'm sure you could even make it the night before!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Oh, fantastico! Yeah...what time is dinner??

Melynda said...

I love a savory breakfast, this sounds wonderful!

Greg said...

I love stratas. The last time I made one we had a ton of company and I got up early to make it. Most of the people were staying at a hotel and were supposed to be St my house for breakfast at 7:00. Well somebody went to the hotel breakfast for coffee and was spotted by another person and before you know it they all ate breakfast at the hotel. I ended up with strata for 20 people and just my wife and I to eat it. They all got to eat together which was the goal, but I got left out. Your strata sounds really good. I hope you have better luck with your crowd than I did with mine.

Greg said...

I love stratas. The last time I made one we had a ton of company and I got up early to make it. Most of the people were staying at a hotel and were supposed to be St my house for breakfast at 7:00. Well somebody went to the hotel breakfast for coffee and was spotted by another person and before you know it they all ate breakfast at the hotel. I ended up with strata for 20 people and just my wife and I to eat it. They all got to eat together which was the goal, but I got left out. Your strata sounds really good. I hope you have better luck with your crowd than I did with mine.

Trix said...

This would be a perfect dish for a hearty brunch! Great with a Bloody Mary. This looks so good, in fact, it's almost enough to make me consider celebrating Easter! (At the very least I would happily celebrate this strata.)

StephenC said...

I truly love this type of dish.

Parsley Sage said...

Ohmygoodness. This looks outstanding. Easter at your house rocks.

Emily Malloy said...

Claudia, this looks like heaven!

Claudia said...

East brunch? I'm thinking tonight's dinner. It has it all - color, texture,and many enticing flavors.

Swathi said...

I love baked pastas this one sounds awesome delicious.

Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} said...

I want to eat this for breakfast! ♥- Katrina

Catherine said...

Oh my Claudia, This sounds so good! I would love to have a piece of this anytime of day! Just delish! Blessings, Catherine xo

Reeni said...

Super comforting and delicious Claudia! The smell of that baking would get me out of bed early on Easter!

Shelby said...

I'm with Reeni! This looks and sounds very inviting!

Lizzy said...

Oh, how I love a breakfast strata! This looks spectacular, Claudia!

savoringeverybite said...

Love the combinations of ingredients and flavors, not to mention the one dish breakast is ready!

Karen said...

Oooh...this would be a perfect Easter dish. I love stratas. They're so easy to make for a brunch! Looks delicious!

Dee Dee's Delights said...

This great! I am having a special sunday Easter Linky buffet Any Easter recipe accepted no limit to what you like to submit. I am taking submissions till saturday, your welcome to post this! http://deedeesdelights.blogspot.com/p/special-easter-sunday-buffet.html

redkathy said...

Hi Claudia, I am so going to make this. Your photos are superb and I know the family will just love this. I hope to make it for Easter. Things have been just a mess here. I can't seem to get it together on anything. Been looking for a night job and running business during the day. Blogging in between! Haven't even planned the first thing for Easter :(

FOODESSA said...

This Strats is similar to one of my Nonna's specialties which I have yet to replicate.
I'm sure that with her recipe and yours, I'll be able to please everyone at the table. ;o)

Flavourful wishes,
Claudia

briarrose said...

Delicious....I don't think I could confine this dish to just breakfast. ;)

Peggy said...

Yum! This sounds like the perfect thing to start Easter morning with!

Comfy Cook said...

I don't eat ham but if I left it out, this looks like a fantastic recipe, filling and warming and delicious.

Katherines Corner said...

Yum, yum, delish, drool...I love fried zucchini so I know I'd love these too. thank you for sharing. Hugs!

Sandra said...

Wonderful, warm and delicious! Looks fantastic!!!

Firefly@fireflyblog.org said...

It looks so good, and I know my family would love this :)

Roz from 'la bella vita' said...

Claudia, what a breakfast casserole. I've just got to make this! I'll catch up on all of my commenting here after final exams week ends next week. Just wanted to say Happy Easter!!!

Lizzy said...

Oh, this looks outstanding! I'm crashing your house the next time you're serving this! YUM!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

This looks lovely - a wonderfully satisfying and delicious breakfast, lunch or brunch! Thank you so much for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch - hope that you will come and link up again later this week!

Kelsey said...

I've never had gruyere before. This looks great, love the ham!

Magic of Spice said...

Strata just screams brunch, and this one is perfect for Easter or after...really lovely!