Friday, April 1, 2011

Baked Haddock in Pinot Grigio with Stuffed Tomatoes,Escarole and Rigatoni Recipe

Tomatoes stuffed with bread crumb topping, with Haddock baked in a Pinot Grigio wine butter and garlic, sitting on a bed of sauteed Escarole and Rigatoni pasta..... When I was home last year in Upstate NY, we went out to dinner one night and this idea came to me when I saw the pasta served with linguine, fish and spinach. Looked great but something was missing in the flavors, so here is my version of that haddock dish ala Claudia style...



The flavors all compliment each other perfectly



I just love the grape tomatoes stuffed with Italian flavored buttery tasting bread crumbs



The Haddock is a flaky white delicious fish that melts in your mouth with a wonderful Pinot Grigio buttery enhanced flavor and of course what else? GARLIC!! .
Recipe as follows:



1 large piece of haddock for two (1 pound pictured)
1 pint of grape tomatoes sliced or 4 plum tomatoes sliced
Italian flavored breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus a few teaspoons
grating cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 stick butter softened
3/4 cup Pinot Griggio Wine

1 head of escarole boiled in salt water drained set aside (you can use spinach or any other kind of your favorite greens)
1 lb of your favorite pasta boiled in salt water
red pepper flakes
In a large pie plate, add 1/4 cup olive oil. place two pieces of haddock laying flat in plate in the oil. In a separate bowl mix 1 cup bread crumbs, garlic powder, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup grating cheese. Mix all together, add softened butter. Place sliced tomato over the haddock. Spread bread crumb mixture over haddock , pour 1/4 cup Pinot Grigio Wine on the bottom around the bottom of the fish. Bake on 400 degree preheated hot oven,  till browned and crisp on top.


In the meantime cook your favorite pasta in salted water, we used rigitoni. Drain. Place pasta in a large bowl.  Add a few teaspoon of olive oil to coat, set aside covered.
In a large fry pan, add 1/4 cup oil, saute the rest of the garlic till brown, add remaining 1/2 stick of butter, and 1/2 cup wine. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
Saute greens for around three minutes in about 1/4 cup of the oil mixture and reserve the rest for the pasta.

Assembly:
Pasta should be on the plate first, sauteed greens on top of the pasta. Add the fish with stuffed tomatoes on top...... sprinkle with more breadcrumbs, red pepper flakes and grating cheese and serve.

Printable Recipe

30 comments:

alison said...

OMG,this is a fabulous dish!

Suzanne said...

what a pretty dish Claudia! Looks really good too. Have a wonderful weekend.

Su said...

I just love this recipe. The stuffed tomatoes and the combination with the rigatoni seems just amazing.
I think I'll do it this weekend :)

Melynda said...

This I would like to make. Fish dishes like this one, sound delicious. thanks so much Claudia.

Alison said...

Well, Claudia, I think your recipe has finally turned me into someone who actually likes fish. This looks refreshing, light, and flavorful. Your presentation is attractive as well. Good job, and thanks for posting.

StephenC said...

The rigatoni and the Italian-flavored bread crumbs are curious choices. I find that flavoring your own bread crumbs is more satisfying. Why not linguini? Please don't take offense. If people don't ever question anything, what's the point? Care to have a conversation about this? Write me at scrout1944@msn.com Cheers.

Lizzy said...

What a gorgeous plate, Claudia! You nailed this one :)

Pegasuslegend said...

@alison thanks!
@suzanne thank you too!
@Su glad you like this!
@Melynda thank you
@alison glad you like it~
@Stephan I made it with linguine first it was good that way, we eat linguine almost all the time. We wanted a change and this is my kids favorite, so as I said in the post its tailored to your favorite.. enjoy it your way~

Pegasuslegend said...

@lizzy thank you for the kind words~

FOODalogue said...

Oh yes! Molto bene!

Cake Duchess said...

Claudia-this haddock looks just incredible! All that flavor and the gorgeous color!Love the rigatoni...mmm!!

Joanne said...

My kind of meal. Hope I can find that in what ever restaurant we visit tonight. You've created a craving.

Corina said...

I could imagine being served this in a restaurant. The breadcrumb topping mkes it look really stylish - as well as tasty!

Swathi said...

Pasta can be this beautiful and delicious. , you made an awesome dish.

Big Dude said...

This dish looks and sounds amazing and it it a must try.

marla said...

Such a fabulous & well rounded dinner!

redkathy said...

Oh you really outdid your this time. Fabulous meal Claudia, lovin' the bed of escarole and rigatoni!

Reeni said...

What a delicious creation Claudia! I love haddock and all the flavors you added to it! It sounds like a dish to be savored.

Mary said...

What a lovely recipe. It really does sound fabulous and I can always use more recipes for fish. I really like the colors of your dish. I'll be trying this very soon. Have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

Angie's Recipes said...

What a gourmet meal you have prepared!

Suzi said...

This looks so delicious. I am going to try it this weekend. Great photos as well!

Cookin' Canuck said...

What a hearty, beautiful dish, Claudia. I would be proud to serve this to guests any day.

Kate@Diethood.com said...

Oh my, this is fantastic! That dish looks so good and inviting... I'll bring the pinot grigio! ;-)

Table Talk said...

Haddock is such a beautiful fish, and not in our fish market very often. When it appears, I grab it. Love all the flavors in this hearty fish dish!

Table Talk said...

Haddock is such a beautiful fish. Hard to find around here, so when it appears at the market, I grab it right up. Love all the warm flavors in this hearty dish!

Becky said...

We love fish, and now I have another way to cook Haddock. Your stuffed grape tomatoes are such a good idea. Lovely presentation.

Victoria said...

Excellent dish!! I recently had a pasta dish with fish, lots of garlic, and bread crumbs, and it was incredible. This dish is making my mouth water. Great job!! I'd love a plate of this.

Peggy said...

What a fabulous dish Claudia! I love the touch with the grape tomatoes - I can't get enough of them right now!

Magic of Spice said...

Claudia, what a wonderful and flavorful dish...not to mention gorgeous! Love this recipe :)

Patsyk said...

What an inspired idea! I'm always looking for new ways to prepare fish and this looks elegant enough to serve to company. Very nice!