Hamantaschen (Jewish Cookies) Filled Fruit

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Hamantaschen Jewish Cookies Fruit Filled


Hamentashen (Jewish Cookies) Filled Fruit




Hamentashen (Jewish Cookies) Filled Fruit



Hamentashen (Jewish Cookies) Filled Fruit




Hamantaschen are triangle fruit cookies served and eaten during the Jewish holiday of Purim which falls this year on March 20th for two days this year. They are recognizable for their three-cornered shape, a symbol of “Hamen”, a villain in the Purim..a colleague of mine requested these for her birthday, I was so excited to learn about this cultural tradition and now it will be a regular for me on my cookie tray.



1-1/2 cups butter or margarine, softened

1 cup granulated sugar (I also tried using half brown sugar and they came out great!)

2 eggs

6 tablespoons fresh orange juice

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

2 teaspoons baking powder

4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon orange zest



several suggestions for jams would be apricot, blackberry, strawberry, raspberry, pineapple, blueberry, nutella, poppy seed filling or prune.



In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the orange juice and vanilla. Mix in the baking powder, then gradually stir in the flour until the dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.



Preheat the oven to 375 F . Lightly grease cookie sheets and set aside.



On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 3-inch circles using a cookie cutter with a pretty edging or drinking glass. Place circles directly on a parchment papered cookie sheet. Spoon 1 teaspoon of filling onto the center of each circle.To fold into the shape of a hamantaschen (a triangle) see below.


Fold the circle to make a point at the top,.

Take the bottom part of the circle and fold it up.

You can then tuck the left side inside the pocket.

Or you can just fold to a point, pinch the top, fold up the bottom.


Repeat this process with remaining circles and dough.



Note: The cookies may be refrigerated for an hour or for a quick 15 minutes frozen on the cookie sheets if desired to help retain their shape while cooking, oh by the way had I used this tip from a friend they would have kept their shape better!



Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until light golden brown. These are best under
cooked slightly. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. These cookies are a wonderful Jewish tradition and very very delicious even though they aren't perfect triangles!

21 comments

  1. Claudia, They are beautiful. They look like little jewels! Their dough is similar to thumbprint dough. Very Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beauty! Wiosh I can have some right now. Have a great day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these Jewish cookies, they look very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy cookies, looks very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are adorable and so festive! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first learned about hamentaschen from Poppa Trix - he said Purim was a fun holiday for little kids, not like the more serious high Jewish holidays (not so much fun for a kid!). Supposedly the cookies are made in the shape of Hamen's hat - they can also be filled with poppy seeds, a delicious variation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also love these and find them surprisingly easy. I missed the boat with Purim this year but it's not too late. My kids love these as much as chocolate chip cookies! Kudos to your cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing. I love how beautiful they are!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hamentashen cookies are so good! Your first time at them and they look yummy good! Bravo Claudia, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these look amazing.. and fun to make and use different flavors! Thanks for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't manage to make any this year... and yours are making me wish I had! They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claudia they looks beautiful. I have seen similar recipe in Deb's blog

    ReplyDelete
  13. They seem very easy and look adorable. I'll have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my secretaries used to bring me these every year; I love them! Thanks so much for the recipe. I'm going to try them. You did a great job, Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how I ALWAYS learn something when I visit your blog. I truly appreciate that more than you know!!!

    I have had these cookies and I love them! Despite you saying you need practice - I think they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good job Claudia! They look so yummy and remind me of Polish kolacky. I have an addiction for these types of cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What pretty little cookies! Well-done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What do you mean, not bad for an Italian... You are so good at baking cookies I swear you could make a delicious cookie from sea weed and sand!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Claudia, we have to do battle over mine and yours. I think yours are just right. Perfect is not the goal. If they are triangles, they are just what you want. I love yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are adorable, and addicting I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've wanted to make these for years and keep hesitating because I know they're fussy. Thanks for encouraging/inspiring me to give 'em a try!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia