Monday, January 24, 2011

Cannoli Tarts ( Holy Moly It's Not a Cannoli) Recipe

A Perfect Dessert When Your A Cannoli Lover!!



Take a zip lock, fill the bag, snip the end off of the bag and pipe the filling in the tart

Made with your favorite pie crust brushed with butter and Marsala wine


Tired of making shells from scratch , here's a quick fix to your cannoli craving. I thought hmmm,  lets experient on a cannoli baked, still with a great taste of marsala dough and in a tart form. So I decided to try this in cupcake tins, used mom's favorite pie crust recipe (Click Here). Then to get a good flavor on the dough, I brushed the molded tart crusts with a mixture of butter and marsala wine. Used the same recipe to fill with a cannoli filling and viola! These were quick easy and delicious!

Here's how I did it...

1 recipe of your favorite  homemade pie crust dough or store bought frozen or refrigerater pie dough
1 tablespoon melted butter mixed with 1 tablespoon of Marsala wine
1 cupcake tin (12 cup) medium size tray
1 can of cooking spray
Make dough. Spray each cupcake tart in your pan with  cooking spray, lightly coating. Take a small piece of dough to fit the size of each cupcake tin, rolling out around 1/4 inch thick. Use a fork to poke holes on the bottom of each cupcake tart. Brush each cannoli tart with mixture of butter and Marsala.
Bake crust until golden brown, around 20 minutes. Cool completely.
When cool, fill with cannoli filling below.

1 lb of Whole Milk Ricotta cheese storebought or homemade
1/4 cup or more to taste of mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup confectionary sugar
2 tablespoons of quick cooking tapioca
Mix all together and refrigerate at least two hours. In the meantime. Dip each tart rim  in melted chocolate place on wax paper to dry. Fill each cooked tart shell. To our surprise on my first try, these were fantastic substitutes for cannoli pastry!

35 comments:

Swathi said...

I was looking for cannoli recipe there, but like it with pie shell.

Bridgett said...

Wow, marsala dough...now that sounds like a fabulous touch! You have wonderful ideas and these look delicious. It would be hard to stop at one.

Shelby said...

Just Awesome Claudia! My son would LOVE this. He is a huge cannoli fan!

MaryMoh said...

Claudia, you are just so creative! These look pretty and delicious. Lovely to know it;s so easy to make. Have a great day. MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

Melynda said...

What a great dessert! Love the technique.

Greg said...

I am going to have to make these, my wife loves Cannoli. I bet they would freeze well.

Ann said...

These look fantastic! I would love these. I am a huge cannoli fan.

Belinda said...

Oh, genius! Sneaky, yet so gorgeous. Marsala dough - innovative.

Debbie said...

You are so smart, this is way easier than making cannoli shells! Thank you!!

aipi said...

looks devourable and great.. just perfect..awesome recipe!!

US Masala

Kathy Gori said...

I love cannoli and these look stunning!! A Must try.

Victoria said...

Genius! I love cannoli, but don't have the patience (or those special metal tubes) to make them, but this is much easier and definitely a fun (and slightly healthier) alternative! Love it!

Claudia said...

I put Marsala in my shells so it stands to reason it is perfect in the pie crust. I love anything cannoli - so this will be squirrelled away for my next cannoli day!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Claudia,
Of course, cannoli is an all time Italian dessert favorite of ours. The Brocatto Italian Ice Cream shop in NOLA makes them to order and some of the best in the city.

Now these tarts! I will take a dozen of them to go please!

Gera@SweetsFoodsBlog said...

Sublime dessert Claudia - more read more I want it!

Cannoli tarts come here :)

Cheers,

Gera

Drick said...

this is wonderful Claudia, I love the ease of it and brushing the shells with Marsala is brilliant to achieve the flavor... the filling sounds like a snap to make also and tasty, oh my goodness, this is a good one girl...

redkathy said...

Ok GF you really did it this time. What a great idea!!! Man, even I can accomplish these. You know those cannoli shells are a bit scary for me lol

5 Star Foodie said...

A wonderful idea! These are gorgeous and sound totally scrumptious!

Reeni said...

What scrumptious little treats Claudia! Wish I had one. Or two.

dreamsofcakes said...

Claudia these tarts look delicious. I like your creativity, your technique for filling the tarts was perfect!!

The Food Hunter said...

What a wonderful idea for cannoli.

Laurie Alves said...

Fantastic Idea! Love the baked shell idea! I do have a question...uncooked Tapioca? What does it do to the texture of the cream?

Magic of Spice said...

Oh my goodness these are just amazing! Very creative :)

Joanna said...

Excellent idea! I love that you made these so simply!

Patrice said...

What a wonderful idea!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Really loving this twist on Cannoli, quick easy, and bite sized. It doesn't get any better! :)

Kiri W. said...

That looks incredibly tasty, and incredibly bad for my self control! ;) Genius twist!

Brooks at Cakewalker said...

Claudia, You are both creative and resourceful. Thank you for sharing the recipe, I'm looking forward to giving them a try!

Amalia said...

These look so cute and not to mention delicious! A great and fun idea! Thanks for sharing :)

Kim Bee said...

Omg these are flipping incredible. You really blew my mind here. I must make these. Super buzzing this one. Lol!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. said...

I love this idea! They look fabulous!

Jennifer said...

Haha at Cajun Chef. Seriously, I've never heard of Cannoli...until now that is. :)

Ann said...

Great idea to revamp a cannoli recipe!

Kimberly (Unrivaledkitch) said...

Beautiful tarts Claudia. I love cannoli's so much! these look fantastic.

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie said...

These are adorable!