Crockpot Ham and Cabbage

Wednesday, December 29, 2010
When I was growing up, ham and cabbage in the crockpot was a staple in our home.  Mom was great at making inexpensive meals that would stretch our budget for the week. This one one that fed many of us. Being Italian we always had a houseful at dinner time.



delicious ham and cabbage slow cooked

When we lived in Upstate NY,  ham and cabbage was the ultimate comfort food. It was soothing on those cold blustery days.




I just love leftovers mom knew how to make an inexpensive meal a banquet for all of us.  Often after school, my friends would stay for dinner, so she always made big pots of stews, soups and casseroles so we always had enough to feed an army!




As the years went on, I make this often. The family loves it. I always make a big pot of ham and cabbage and if I have a lot of leftovers, I freeze it for a rainy day. Don't miss trying this easy recipe of ham and cabbage, it sure hits the spot on the cold day in Upstate New York.





Crock pot Ham and Cabbage with Potatoes


Leftover Ham with bone (if it has honey or glaze on it rinse it off with cold water) pull chunks off and add to the pot along with the bone.
1 large onion optional
6 carrots cleaned and sliced or 1 cup of  finger carrots
8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 or 6 cut up plum tomatoes fresh or canned
2 cloves minced garlic
1 head cabbage, cut into quarters
1 can chicken broth
1/2 white wine
water
1/2 teaspoon each oregano, basil, garlic powder, thyme, parsley
salt and pepper to taste

I par boil the potatoes and carrots in the microwave for 5 minutes, before adding  them to the slow cooker bags for the crockpot (they are sold same place where you would buy oven roasting bags in the grocery store).  Place tomatoes on top, cabbage then ham bone and chunks last. Sprinkle with herbs cover with broth and water to just above the mixture of cabbage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.  Put crockpot on high for at least eight hour, add more water if this absorbs too quickly.  Remove bone. Serve with crusty Italian bread broken up in the bowl... or just dunk it!
Created using The Recipes Generator

16 comments

  1. Hi Claudia :)

    It may sound strange, but I love the food created from Christmas scraps as much as I love Christmas food. In fact, I usually am too tired to really enjoy Christmas dinner after all that (solo) cooking, so really, for me, the meals that follow are really the best.

    This looks wonderful, and is so similar to something my grandma, then mum used to cook post Christmas Day! It looks really, warm, wonderful and so bolstering!

    Hope you and your family have a glorious New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grumpy will tell me its time to get a ham just because he wants me to make this! I never had it growing up and only had it when I first met Grumpy - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love food like this! I have a ham in the freezer that I will cook in January and this will be our leftovers dish. Thanks Claudia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks to be perfection.

    Sigh! How perfect on a chilly winter's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this brings back memories. My dad used to make this except he used a ham hock instead of left over ham. I had forgotten all about this recipe, he called it boiled dinner. He made his version in a pot on the stove and cooked t all day long. Now you have me craving this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Claudia,
    Now this is one tasty crock pot dinner.

    Bon appetit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one brings back memories Claudia! Mom used to make this one too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one comforting and good for soul meal! My husband love this especially if I add smocked ham...
    Nicely Done Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great combo all in one! That's great! You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We will probably have a ham on new years day. This is what I will do with some of the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This crockpot mix looks so hearty and warming, Claudia. Being mostly Irish, I can appreciate you choice of vegetables to go with the Italian Ham too (smile). Yum!
    Hope you guys have a very happy new year too.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leftover meals are always some of the best! This sounds like a great warming dish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds like a delicious soup/casserole! Great blog! I have just found it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just warmed me right up. Not an easy task in MN. Love all those foods swirled into one tasty dinner - all those flavors melding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Knowing how cold it can be in Upstate NY this time of year I can just imagine how this dish would conjure up comforting memories.
    Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this. It's my kind of food and definitely a good one for the crockpot! Thank you Claudia!

    ReplyDelete

Remember to use the search option for a recipe you're looking for and thanks for all your kind words and support. We love our readers all the best Claudia