Friday, November 5, 2010

The Best Apple Fritters Made In An Italian Cooks Kitchen!


The Best Apple Fritter from an Italian Cooks Kitchen! These are so addicting!


Tender, and perfectly cooked!

Do you have Cyber smell in your kitchens, the cinnamon frying and spice is heavenly!  
Do not cook on high heat, you want these babies golden in color, low to medium heat
A very thick batter, just fold in the apples  at the end gently.

I know what your all thinking what's this got to do with Italian foods? Well growing up in Upstate NY we have apple orchards up the wazoo whatever that is, every year we were embellished with McIntosh, Gala, and the many other varieties of this precious forbidden fruit.  Mac's are my favorite and finally I got my first bag (not fresh but better than nothing) here in Florida. I hadn't had much luck in liking fritters until now. This recipe fills the air while frying with an incredible smell that the neighbors are wondering what's cookin' here.  So here is my own version of the apple fritter Upstate NY style in an Italian kitchen.

2 cups flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon ( I love cinnamon, sometimes I use more since I don't measure, oh well they are still wonderful)
pinch of salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, ginger and pinch of cloves
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs


A great time saver for chopping these apples quickly.
3 small or 2 medium tart apples, peeled ( diced approx 2 cups diced) I use either McIntosh or choose  from my lists of many that will do fine, put them on pulse in your food processor for a few seconds till finely chopped. Works like a charm!
 Have on hand, confectionery sugar to roll in or make a thin glaze, whatever you prefer

Before preparing the batter, I heat my electric fry pan or deep fryer or even a wok pan will do fine and  heat it on from 1-10 a 4 heating cycle,  heat while mixing the ingredients. I have experimented on the heat, too high will make raw centers, so make one first, if its browning too quickly on one side, its too high lower it...or you will ruin them all.

Combine the flour, brown sugar and  spices in a large mixing bowl. Use a fork, to mix everything together. Add the milk, butter and eggs to the dry ingredients and blend all together. Add diced apples and stir till moistened, do not beat this. I have had many fritters bought here in the South, they don't compare to this homemade recipe. They are tender and so delicious! Tip: Dip the end of  your fork with a little batter still on it into the hot oil, if it sizzles its ready to fry!
Drop into the hot oil and fry and both sides till lightly browned.  Place on paper towels to absorb the grease.  You can glaze them with confectionery sugar and water icing or just sprinkle with confectionery sugar while still warm.
Printable Recipe





Post a Comment