Sunday, July 11, 2010

Rainier Cherry Muffins or Rainier Cherry Cobbler Recipe

Cobbler or muffins you choose they are both fabulous in flavor with these amazing sweet cherries. Not around long, so every year when I see them I snatch them up in a hurry. They freeze well in storage bags too!

If you haven't heard about these types of cherries and are a fan of sweet cherries your truly missing out on the best kind, rainier cherries.

A few years back a friend told me about these and said, she had tried these and never looked back at any other kind. Always guaranteed sweet, firm, and absolutely delicious flavor cherries. A bit pricey but worth every penny.


The Rainier Cherry is the sweetest of all the sweet cherries. With its characteristic cream-colored flesh, Rainier Cherry farmers will not pick them until the sugar brix (a measure of how sweet the cherry is) reach 17. But, some wait until they reach 20 brix. That is one of the reason they are so memorable -- and addictive.

The Rainier is a cross between a Bing and a Van -- two sweet-red varieties. Created by Harold Fogle in 1952, who, at the time, directed the cherry breeding program at the Washington State University.The cherries will keep in the refrigerator for up to one week.


Rainier Cherry Muffins
In a large bowl mix:
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of shortening till resembles course looking sugar
beat in :
1 egg
Add:
1 3/4 cup cake flour
4 teaspoons of baking powder
a pinch of salt
Alternate:
1 cup of milk to wet the dry ingredients.
Fold in one cup of washed, stemmed, pitted then chopped rainier cherries Line muffin cup pan with paper liners, fill to 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
In a separate bowl add 1 cup of confectionery sugar and water to make a thin icing. Drizzle over the tops of muffins while warm.



Rainier Cherry Cobbler
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
2/3 cup white sugar
1 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
3 1/2 cups fresh rainier cherries, pitted
1/2 cup white sugar
Directions
Mix 2/3 sugar, butter or margarine, flour, salt, baking powder, and milk together. Place cherries in the bottom of a 9 inch square pan. Spread dough over cherries.
In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in boiling water. Pour mixture over the dough.
Bake at 375 degrees for 55 minutes or till brown on top. Serve warm with whipped cream or french vanilla ice cream.


42 comments:

Tania said...

I cannot choose, they are both fantastic!

Angie's Recipes said...

They look very yummy! I love both of them.

Aggiew said...

I always pick them up when they are BOGO at Publix! my fave! haven't cooked with them though, this dessert looks fantastic!

Belinda @zomppa said...

They're both so wonderful. I'm dreaming now of Raniers!

penny aka jeroxie said...

Oh I have never tried any rainier cherries. I am indeed missing out.

AppleC said...

Wow. Give me both. Love - JUST LOVE the photo of the lone cherry. So cool. :)

Yasmeen said...

A heavenly cobbler,can never get enough of cherries,simply love this summer's best fruit:D

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

They are all so good, love me some cherry cobbler!

Bon appetit!
=:~)

Drick said...

oh my Clauda, both of these are just great, my sweet tooth is calling...all of them

Bridgett said...

Rainier cherries are my favorite and I am always looking for an interesting way to use them. You have the best ideas! I will be trying these with my next basket.

baking.serendipity said...

These muffins look fantastic! I'm loving adding cherries to baked goods now that they are in season, and yours look fantastic :)

RV said...

Droolworthy pics.. YUMM YUMM..

Claudia said...

I will definitely be making this - as soon as I stop munching on the cherries. Can't decide between the two of them so maybe both! I need an excuse to use my cherry pitter! They are so pretty!

Kathy Gori said...

I love all cherries, and have never cooked with Rainier cherries. These recipes look great!

Lori Lynn said...

Interesting cherry lesson.

I pick the cobbler, but I also like how you drizzled the icing in the muffin shot!
LL

natural selection said...

The dessert of Kings!

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog said...

...I haven't cherries here..I'd like to try this gorgeous sweet recipe - ideal for me :))

Cheers,

Gera

Cinnamon-Girl said...

Two of the most scrumptious cherry recipes! Heavenly! I haven't seen these kind in our markets yet. They sound like a real treat.

redkathy said...

I haven't had cherries in forever it seems. I remember picking them from the tree atop my grandfather's shoulder! Lovin' the muffins, you know I'm a big muffin addict! The countdown is on, Red will be off to London in just a few more days. Maybe after I get done crying I'll try these muffins.

alison said...

both are fantastic!

Mother Rimmy said...

I have a friend who will love these. She goes through cherries by the pounds!

Heatherfeather said...

I love cherries! These recipes look really good.

Debi (Table Talk) said...

I would love either one with my coffee right now. Boy do they look good!

Trix said...

Oh, I wish I knew that you could freeze them before I ate ALL of mine. So sad. I will have to make this next year!

Cookin' Canuck said...

I grew up on Rainier cherries and also snatch them up whenever they appear. Both the muffins and the cobbler look like a wonderful way to highlight their sweet flavor.

Steve said...

It's a post like this that takes me back to my youth and helping my grandfather (who was a fruit farmer) pick cherries.

I miss him. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Great post. I am a big fan of Rainier cheeries.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

How generous - two recipes in one post! I love cherries but have never tried the Rainier. They are costly and the colour somehow makes me imagine they are on the tart side. Now I know better.Thanks for the heads up :)

JillyAn said...

It isn't fair that we have to choose one or the other. Why can't we just eat both?? They look heavenly Claudia.

Rochelle said...

Beautiful recipes with some of my favorite cherries! I really want a bite (or 10) of each :D

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

Wowwww! This looks so good, Claudia! So creative

Magic of Spice said...

I will take 2 servings of each...to start of with:) Gorgeous!

Stella said...

Hey Claudia, as a cherry fan, I must say that this looks amazing! I want some right now with ice cream (smile). Actually I also want some almond cake with it...

Dina said...

yum! they look cute!

Anonymous said...

Not sure why this hasn't been addressed but the muffin recipe calls for far too much baking powder. 4t = way too much. i've lessened it to 2 and still think that's excessive. just an FYI.

pegasuslegend said...

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments

@Anonymous clarify: I have been making these for over 30 years with that amount of baking powder 4 teaspoons is the correct amount for the recipe...thank you for your input you can adapt it to your own preference... :)

Lizzy said...

Oh, yeah, those Rainier cherries are addictive..so sweet and wonderful! Both recipes look fabulous, Claudia!!

cookinghealthyforme said...

I love rainier cherries! I would be a hero inn the house with the muffins....

Tina said...

Great post-I love cherries and think the rainier ones are the best. I will need to get some soon. The pictures are awesome Thanks for sharing-buzzed it!

Kate@Diethood said...

YUMMO!! I love cherries! I will have one of each, please. :)

Sandra said...

Love ranier cherries. They were on sale yesterday for $3.99 lb. That's a steal here! I'd love to have a huge serving of cobbler and a muffin right about now!

Tanya said...

Thank you for these recipes. I managed to buy about 4 lbs of Rainier cherries yesterday for $1.99/lb. Then reality hit. LOL!


(found your site when I googled Rainier cherry recipes)