Thursday, July 8, 2010

Quinoa Fazool with Chicken and White Wine

A great new grain has been introduced to me. I love this quinoa, pronounced Keen-wah took me awhile to get use to this fabulous grain, but to use this in substitution for rice or pasta, brings a whole life to food. Delicious and nutty tasting. A great healthy grain with addition of white beans and chicken make a satisfying meal a twist on pasta fazool adding similar ingredients for a base then by adding chicken with the beans its a diffinite full meal.

Almost like a rice, but nutty flavored.


Beans, chicken and this hearty grain = a great combination of healthy goodness.



You will see the tails when its cooked all the way through.


1 cup of quinoa

2 cups water

2 cans of white northern beans drained or freshly made beans

2 boneless chicken breasts cut in long slices

1/2 cup white wine

1 cup chicken broth

2 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, parsley

1/4 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt

1/2 cup olive oil

In a 1 1/2 quart saucepan boil 2 cups of water and 1 cup quinoa until you see the tail about 15 minutes.

In another large fry pan, saute cut up chicken breast with a few tablespoons of olive oil and minced garlic till all pink is gone. Add beans, rest of the oil, wine and spices, broth. Cook for around 10 minutes on high till liquid is reduced. Stir in quinoa cook till thickens and liquid is pretty much adsorbed with this great flavor.

21 comments:

Chow and Chatter said...

tasty and creative recipe

Cookin' Canuck said...

I'm so glad that you were finally able to find quinoa and that you're enjoying it. Great way to use it!

alison said...

what a great way to cook the chicken!

Julie m. said...

Yum! I really enjoy quinoa as well. It's fun to try out different grains isn't it?

mr. and mrs. said...

Mmmm... look's magical ;]

baking.serendipity said...

This looks awesome! I haven't tried cooking with quinoa yet, but love anything that has wine in the recipe :)

Squeaky Gourmet said...

what a yummy and healthy combo indeed!! YUM!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This sounds wonderful Claudia! A delicious twist on pasta fazool.

Stella said...

Hey Claudia, I love quinoa too. I have some organic and wild black quinoa in the pantry. I need to do something with it...
This does look so healthful-so much protein and good fiber here!

Drick said...

such nice flavors... I do not cook with this grain enough, I should though, it is much healthier - great recipe

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A very healthy and delicious dish! That combination is wonderful.

Cheers,

Rosa

Gera @ Sweets Foods Blog said...

What a great combo of ingredients, quinoa and white wine, healthy plus delicious!

Cheers,

Gera

My Man's Belly said...

I'm glad to hear you like quinoa. I've been using it for a couple of years now and really like how it changes up the flavor of some of our favorite dishes.

redkathy said...

Nice idea Claudia. You know I adore pasta n beans so I'd bet on this one being great as well.

Debi(Table Talk) said...

Quinoa was meant for this dish; perfect you thought of it. I am up in the Adirondacks for the month of July and knowing I wouldn't be able to find it here, I brought some with me (along with fish sauce, tahini, and Siracha sauce)~my little box of must-haves while away!

AppleC said...

That recipe will cure anything! It's so far over the healthy side. Great recipe and I bet, delicious.

Cristina - Teenie Cakes said...

Thx for the pronunciation of quinoa...I've been reading it incorrectly all this time! I need to try quinoa out for healthier alternatives. This dish looks like one of those tasty & healthy meals. =)

Angie's Recipes said...

I am now to this combination...sounds so tempting!

RV said...

I have all the ingredients and am gonna make it tonight.

pegasuslegend said...

thanks everyone and RV let us know how you like it!

Magic of Spice said...

What a great dish...I really enjoy using quinoa, but I have not lately...I am re-inspired:)