Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mexican Lasagna Italian Style?

Not your normal lasagna at all. We love Mexican food. So this is a nice change that the boys just loved when I made this. Not hard to do, a quick meal even if you've worked all day, you can throw this together in no time at all.
Layers of flour tortilla, meat, beans and cheese. Of course I don't know how to cook without making it a little Italian, so guess what, I don't use onions, I use garlic! What a shock huh?

The meat is simmered in a little oil with spices adding the tomatoes with basil, garlic, and refried beans last.

The layering is the same as lasagna, alternating between tortilla, filling and sharp cheese.



1 8 oz package of shredded mozzarella combined with
1 8 oz package of extra sharp cheddar shredded

1 package of 10 flour tortilla's
1 16 oz can of refried beans
1 pound of ground hamburger or turkey
1 package of taco mix
1 tablespoon of chopped jalapeno peppers
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and chili powder
canola oil
1lb can of whole tomatoes with basil put through food processor

In a large fry pan, add a few tablespoons of canola oil add garlic and saute till brown. Add ground meat, cook till pink is gone. Add all seasonings, tomatoes cook for about 1/2 hour. Stir in refried beans.

In a square 10x10 pan lightly greased with oil, start with tortilla, add layer of meat both cheeses, repeat with tortilla on top, meat, cheese. End with more cheese and meat/bean sauce. Bake on 350 until cheese is brown and bubbly and edges look crisp. Let set a few minutes before cutting and serving. You can top this with sour cream, avocado, black olives.

25 comments:

Lazaro Cooks! said...

What an interesting idea. Great for any busy weeknight. Nice job!

Cheers!

penny aka jeroxie said...

NIce idea! I like it very much.

Belinda @zomppa said...

Great twist - and not surprised everyone likes it!

Lazaro Cooks! said...

Claudia,

Can you contact me via email at lazarocooks@gmail.com I tried to find an email on your blog, but missed it.

I want to ask you a question.

Thanks

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Love this idea! I can't wait to make it for my boys. :)

Claudia said...

Very good idea - with ease and taste and fun.love melding Mexican and Italian. They are a natural!

Trix said...

What a super fun weeknight meal!! I bet this tastes even better the next day!

Kathy Gori said...

My mom used to make something like this when I was a kid and it was my FAVORITE!!! the recipe looks great.

Table Talk said...

Everything you would want in a combination plate all in one place--perfect!

Elin said...

Great mexican lasagna !. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

bunkycooks said...

What a great idea for a quick dinner. You can't go wrong with all those flavors together!

Tania said...

Very original, I think it's very good!

Sophie said...

A very lovely lasagne with a twist!

Yummmmmmmmmm,...!!!!

AppleC said...

I've done that style of lasagna before and it is SO good. Great post.

Drick said...

hey, that's just a great one dish meal - have made it many times ... I sometimes use a enchilada sauce and then there is the spinach chicken chiles version thats really different....you know how much I love my Mexican foods...

Cinnamon-Girl said...

I love Mexican lasagna too! Your little twist with the garlic makes it all the more delicious!

Emily Malloy (Ziegler) said...

So freaking creative! I loove looove looove this!

Nicole said...

This is such a good idea and what a nice change of pace!

Bridgett said...

I would definitely love this with the Mexican kick to it. What a creative rescipe!

Magic of Spice said...

What a great idea...looks yummy!

Gera @ SweetsFoodsBlog said...

I've often lasagna but not with Mex version, like a lot with tortillas more beans, so yummy

Have a great week,

Gera

Sam said...

Hi, I'm loving this and am now following you. Thanks, Keri a.k.a. Sam

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Great idea Claudia - you do have the darndest ideas!! I would love to eat this!

Simply Life said...

oh wow, that looks delicious!

Catherine said...

Wow this looks so delish! There was a similar idea in my Richard Simmons cookbook and I absolutely loved it!
I MUST give yours a try, it looks scrumptious! :)