Saturday, April 24, 2010

Sesame Chicken Teriyaki Over White Rice

One of my favorite marinades to make is with pineapple juice,the freshest fruit off a pineapple, and making a rich Teriyaki Sauce with it, makes this chicken fall off the bone. Grilling foods daily, is the most common source of cooking here in Florida so no wonder, I do use it frequently and have adapted many of moms recipes for the outdoor cooking. This use to be a one pan stove top recipe. The smells of wonderful outdoor cooking can be detected for miles around the neighborhood, sweet and fragrant. Not an Italian dish, I know, but one of my mom's favorite alternatives in cooking in our home, she loved cooking with pineapple and of course garlic. So this was one dish she would like, dad wasn't so venturous, he was traditional, so she had to be careful not to mix too many ingredients together.

Chicken thighs are what is shown here, tender, falls off the bone and with toasted sesame seeds sprinkled over the top.



I love to serve this on plain white rice, the sauce drippings from the chicken juice, sweetens the rice perfectly.
During our recent family reunion, I purchased two pineapples to use in mixed drinks and smoothies. The leftover pineapple was perfect to make this dish. Putting it on the grill with the chicken gives this a delicious flavoring to the rice as well. Before I leave for work, I put everything in a big dish, and marinade this all day. Then come home, its all ready for the fired up grill. All that is left to do, is boil the plain salted white rice and serve the chicken over the top.

6 Chicken Thighs(or whatever pieces you prefer)
2 cups of fresh pineapple chunks
1 cup of pineapple juice canned
Toasted Sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sesame oil

Teriyaki Sauce
Recipe:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon minced garlic
5 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup canned pineapple juice or water
Mix all but cornstarch and 1/4 c pineapple juice or water, in a sauce pan and heat. Mix cornstarch and cold water in a cup and dissolve. Add to sauce in pan. Heat until sauce thickens to desired thickness. Pour over Chicken add pineapple and juice, sesame oil and one tablespoon of sesame seeds, in a large bowl. Marinade for 6 to 7 hours or overnight.


On a hot grill(method used above), grill chicken, adding pineapple the last 10 minutes. Cook till browned on both sides, thoroughly cooked and clear juices inside. Serve over a bed of rice with toasted sesame seeds on top.
Note: If you prefer or don't have a grill. Pan cook or bake the Chicken in a little olive oil. If using Chicken breasts it will take 1/2 hour per pound in the oven, around 1 hour 20 minutes to bake four, basting every half hour. Pan fry in olive oil, till all the juice that runs out is clear.


24 comments:

Grumpy and HoneyB said...

This looks really yummy! We haven't done much grilling here yet. Hopefully the sun stays out today...my plans are to grill tonight! Love the smell too :)

bunkycooks said...

This looks like a perfect way to have some marinated chicken on the grill. These flavors are always a favorite!

Daydreamer Desserts said...

I can virtually smell this sweet teriyaki chicken on the grill here in California.

Sandi said...

that looks really nice!!

Hungry Jenny said...

Mm, making teriyaki sauce is my fallback when I can't think of what to make for dinner as the ingredients are always there and you can't go wrong with it!

I love cooking with pineapple too, this dish looks good.

Hungry Jenny x

Joy said...

O Yum that looks so good!
I had better search out some pineapple!

Greg said...

This looks really good. My wife and I were just talking about trying to find a teriyaki sauce.

Claudia said...

I am going to make this next week - I adore both pineapple and teriyaki - and it looks luscious for a cool spring eve.

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham said...

I have never thought to make my own teryaki sauce. Sounds like a perfect pairing with the fresh pineapple.

Cookin' Canuck said...

I bet this smelled amazing! That sticky sauce looks so good.

citronetvanille said...

That is a gorgeous chicken, cooked to perfection and with a touch of sesame, I know it's delicious!

Ruth said...

Not only are you a pro with Italian dishes but this just looks to die for!!! Well done you!!

Trix said...

I love sesame on things as well - and look, from Italian to Asian cuisine - you are so versatile, my dear!

Tania said...

Pineapple gives it exotic taste, wonderful dish!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This looks light and delicious! I can't wait to start grilling!

Drick said...

perfect - just what I want in a teriyaki chicken ... grilling is my kind of cooking during this time of year too

Jamie said...

This looks fantastic. My kind of flavors. I love grilling pineapple and what a wonderful combination of flavors. I've just bookedmaked this recipe. Can't wait to try it.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Not your usual style, but I like it! Love the use of pineapple and sesame seeds and teriyaki is always yummy!

Polly Motzko said...

I am putting this recipe on my cooking blog! I will send you the link to the finished recipe link.

I also wrote about the exquisite dishes I am always impressed by on your blog and on Food Buzz.com!

One of your biggest fans,

Polly Motzko

http://www.CookingUpAStorminCA.ning.com

Polly Motzko said...

I am putting this recipe on my cooking blog! I will send you the link to the finished recipe link.

I also wrote about the exquisite dishes I am always impressed by on your blog and on Food Buzz.com!

One of your biggest fans,

Polly Motzko

http://www.CookingUpAStorminCA.ning.com

Emily Ziegler said...

Claudia- this is awesome. So creative and made with love. I love it :-)

Mr-Chicken said...

This looks easy enough for my teens to make themselves.


Nice post .

:) for U.

Lizzy said...

Claudia, this looks wonderful...we grill all through the winter, so this may be on our menu soon!

Diethood.com said...

mmmmmm! I can smell it! This is a beautiful marinade that I would love to use on my chicken. I can't wait till grilling weather is back again! :)