Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Italian Style Garlicky Pasta and Fives Cheeses

Of course there's garlic in here are you kidding me? Who can eat pasta that's claim to be Italian without garlic somewhere in the recipe? Wonderful cheesy mac and cheese with buttered Italian bread crumbs ..... ( on just a side note, I make this rarely due to the high calorie content) but this mac and cheese is sinfully loaded with flavor and when you want to be bad with calories this is the one! Another side dish at my family reunion, when all else fails with picky kids, they'll love this one!


1 pound of elbow macaroni or shells
1 can of cheddar cheese soup
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 1/2 cups of half and half, equal parts mixed of evaporated and heavy cream ( or last resort whole milk)
1 8 oz package of sharp cheddar cut up into small pieces
3 tablespoons of cream cheese
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
4 slices of provolone cheese cut into small pieces
1/4 cup of Romano grating cheese
1 teaspoon of parsley
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, black pepper
1 cup of Italian flavored bread crumbs
4 tablespoons of melted butter
prosciutto chopped fine optional
In a glass microwave proof bowl add both milk, cheddar cheese soup and all the cheeses, microwave until cheese is melted and well blended with milk.

In the meantime boil the macaroni in salted water al dente. Drain. Place in a large baking dish that has been butter generously.

Place cooked macaroni in the dish. Add all herbs, minced garlic and spices to the milk mixture ,stirring together. Add to macaroni dish. In a separate bowl add bread crumbs and melted butter and mix. Sprinkle on the top of the macaroni and cheese mixture. Bake at 375 until browned and bubbly. Sprinkle with more grating cheese and prosciutto on top.
Printable Recipe

24 comments:

Nicole said...

you just made me so hungry! that recipe looks so delicious and incredible!

Kristi@Ja Cie Kocham said...

You had me at garlicky and 5 cheeses :o) Looks delicious!

alison said...

oh,claudia,so yummy your dish,i'm drolling here!:))the photos are so sugestive!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Gorgeous Claudia, just gorgeous! Pasta, garlic and FIVE cheeses?!? I don't need anything else ;)

Daydreamer Desserts said...

Love this "grown up" version of mac and cheese! Looks super tasty... yum!

MaryMoh said...

I love garlic and use a lot in my cooking. Garlic is good for health. Your pasta dish will surely go down well in my family.

SashaInTheKitchen said...

looks like a delicious variation on mac&cheese

Jenny said...

Mmmm, Looks like the perfect dinner! You've hooked me with 5 cheeses!! Have a great weekend!

citronetvanille said...

Family and pasta, always go together! of course cheese and pasta too and you made the perfect combination of taste, texture and fun!

Shamrocks and Shenanigans said...

This looks amazing! Now following your blog! Cant wait to read more
Shamrocks and Shenanigans

Drick said...

okay, call me a kid - I LOVE THIS ONE ... yes, I am screaming over this recipe

penny aka jeroxie said...

5 cheeses. Pasta. Garlic. This is my dish!

Grumpy and HoneyB said...

This looks delicious Claudia...I'm saving this recipe for when I can have my carbs again!

Aggie said...

oooohhhh....that looks delicious!! I LOVE garlic and cheese! :)

Trix said...

Omg, I have to save up my calories and have this!! I love cheese + garlic, it's heaven!!

Cinnamon-Girl said...

This is totally delectable! Loving all the different cheeses and the prosciutto! Definitely a crowd-pleaser.

I Sicilian said...

Still following you. You are a dedicated cook!

Cristina @ TeenieCakes said...

Oh! So rich and creamy with five cheeses and garlic. Divine! Looks so delicious!!!

Emily Ziegler said...

Holy crap, Claudia. This has to be the most amazing thing since string cheese.

Amber said...

Wow, that sounds delish!

Claudia said...

I am descended from a long line of mice - so the more cheese the better. Love all the garlic - heck - it' good for you! And you are right, the pickiest eater in the world would wolf this down. Well done!

dinnersanddreams said...

mmm. five cheeses-this is my knd of pasta! Love it!!

italian kitchen decor said...

Lovely ,..eeuh,..excellent food!

Brie: Le Grand Fromage said...

yum, i love mac and cheese recipes! delicious!